Plans

Wistow

Reaction score
I want to get/buy a good set of plans for a tenor ukulele, this will be for my first build and I would like full size paper plans. I live in the UK so it would be easier to get them from a UK supplier but if that is not possible I will buy from anywhere.

Can anyone recommend a good set of plans they have used or know would be good for a beginner?

Thanks Graham

I want to get/buy a good set of plans for a tenor ukulele, this will be for my first build and I would like full size paper plans. I live in the UK so it would be easier to get them from a UK supplier but if that is not possible I will buy from anywhere.

Can anyone recommend a good set of plans they have used or know would be good for a beginner?

Thanks Graham
Hi Graham,
Go to: https://www.oaktownstrings.com/free-instrument-plans
Download the plans to a CD or thumb drive and take it to an office supply store, or anywhere that they have a large printer. FedEx office, UPS Store, Staples, Office Max, etc.

Hi Graham, have you considered the Stewart MacDonald ukulele kits? They are very good indeed and well worth the money. Even if you do not want to buy a kit you will learn a lot just from perusing their kit assembly instructions. Look down at the very bottom and click the red "kit instructions":

Hi Graham,
Go to: https://www.oaktownstrings.com/free-instrument-plans
Download the plans to a CD or thumb drive and take it to an office supply store, or anywhere that they have a large printer. FedEx office, UPS Store, Staples, Office Max, etc.
What you have to watch out for when you print plans is the size. I downloaded a template for a fretboard. I printed it twice, and each one was slightly different in size. Standard 8.5" X 11" paper won't be any good unless the pattern is designed to be printed on that size paper and taped together.

See if you can buy a full-size set of plans. Stewart MacDonald has ukulele kits that come with full-size plans. I was also recommend getting the video made by the former Mya-Moe people which shows how to put that kit together.

You can also trace a uke and use that as your template.

For sale - https://genone-luthier-supply.com/collections/tenor-ukulele-plans

I have lots of copies of the Hana Lima plans for all uke sizes and can hook you up with a copy of the tenor plans for the price of a tube and some postage costs. I would say to buy them from Hana Lima but they are no longer trading. Just pm me.

Bob Gleason offers plans from Pegasus Guitars. Plus if you haven't check out his website. Lots of tips and info for the beginner. I think it's important to support luthiers that have given so much to the luthier community. Bob has been teaching and preaching the luthier craft for decades. I also second Hana lima Ia, but I'm kind of partial to Hana lima as that's where I started my luthier journey. I don't think Hana Lima is selling anymore but you might have luck checking in with the Hawaii Luthiers Guild

This site is a treasure trove the acoustic section has a couple of ukes.

Top Bottom