Plastic Ukuleles

H

Hippie Dribble

Wonderful piece John. Entertaining and insightful by turns, everything you do is quality mate. Nice to see Chris' review up there too and always a pleasure to see Betty doing her best work. :)

RichM

What is it about Bettie Page... that mix of innocence and sexiness... oh, wait, there's something there about ukuleles, too... one sec...

My Mastro banjo uke is one of my go-to ukes. Not a toy at all, it plays well and has nice tone, not as overpowering as many traditional banjo ukes. Mario Maccaferri took plastic instruments pretty seriously, believing they were the next big thing. While that was never quite true, he did make some nice instruments.

By the way, can I buy another "c" in the article for Mr. Maccaferri's name? :)

Jnobianchi

always a pleasure to see Betty doing her best work. :)

Thanks, Jon. I know; ahhh, but she was the very best at what she did. :) The whole entry was an excuse to use that picture. ;)

Thanks, Rich!! Fixed! Whoa, that was more than a *slight* oversight. You have a Mastro banjo uke? Post a picture on the blog, if you can do it~!

How's the rose working out for you?! Enjoying it, I hope!

RichM

You have a Mastro banjo uke? Post a picture on the blog, if you can do it~!

Yup, played it in my last 3 Seasons entries! Because I don't have to fuss with humidification, it's the one I keep next to the computer for impromptu rave-ups. Since virtually all of my Seasons entries have been impromptu, it shows up a lot!

Shady Wilbury

Great blog, and great thread! Thanks for the insight into plastic uke history. Although I've been playing for a little over seven years now, I'm still dumb when it comes to uke history.

gaspar

Thank you so much John!
I love those old plastic ukes. I´m after a deluxe model but I have never seen one listed anywhere:

1_e9de1c51fc865a5b0cb641bf05873c55.jpg

1_e9de1c51fc865a5b0cb641bf05873c55.jpg

Jnobianchi

I love those old plastic ukes. I´m after a deluxe model but I have never seen one listed anywhere

Thank you, Gaspar. Yes, they are hard to find, but DO come up once in a while. I like the pitch pipe built into the headstock! I see TV Pals most often, regular Islanders slightly less so.

Thank you, Doc! Glad that you liked it. I maintain it was just an excuse to use those photos... ;)

Thanks, Casey! History is a hobby, so it's hard to avoid it. Just glad that I have an outlet for it! :)

Chris Tarman

Nice work John! Thanks for using my review of my Maccaferri baritone. That was one of the first videos I made, when I couldn't figure out how to have a picture that wasn't backwards. If you look at my Youtube channel, there's one or two actual songs using that baritone. You're welcome to add it/them if you want to. It's a really nice sounding instrument, I think.

connor013

Interesting article, John. Thanks for doing the legwork.

I've owned a handful of plastic ukes, and the best sounding of the bunch was a Mauna Loa. Who would've thunk it?

Jnobianchi

I really enjoyed this and I'm feeling a flare up in my UAS.
Thanks. Yes, I know what you mean. And, the nice thing (insidious thing) is that they don't cost much~!

I've owned a handful of plastic ukes, and the best sounding of the bunch was a Mauna Loa. Who would've thunk it?

Thanks Conor. Despite the differently shaped position markers, the Mauna Loa looks a lot like the Flamingo - which was made by Emenee (M&E). I have a feeling M&E may have been the manufacturer, which would certainly argue for a good tone.

Thanks, Chris! I've gone ahead and used your Finlandia clip. The baritone sounds excellent in your hands!!

strumsilly

I'm mac bari.jpggetting 2 ukes for Christmas, both I've been looking for for awhile. here's one. the other is a Martin tenor, yet to arrive.

consitter

I love it that Gus and Fin of Gugug play plastic ukes, and their music sounds awesome.

And the Bettie Page article was niiiicccee. So were the plastic ukes.