Poll: Strumming or Fingerstyle (your primary style of playing)

What is your PRIMARY style of playing?

• Strumming

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Fingerstyle

Votes: 34 72.3%

• Total voters

GVlog

Well, the results thus far are certainly not what I would have expected.

Which makes it clear that I shouldn't make any bets with real money. :p

johnnysmash

Chord Melody and finger style melodies for me. I am learning to strum along with all other techniques using Baritone Ukulele Aerobics, but otherwise I have no interest in strumming. I cannot sing.

ukudancer

I strum more than I fingerpick. I suck at singing however, which is why I use a looper and learn the melodies on top of the rhythm.

ripock

I wonder what everyone means by fingerstyle? There seems like a lot of possible variations in style when a finger is employed. You can do those inner string/outer string patterns like Cotten picking, or Carter scratching, or a modified Travis picking. You can do some Flamenco-inspired galloping picado picking. You can play melodies using scales.

ampeep

Normally fingerpick but sometimes strum, depending on the song. For variety, may play shaker or cabasa.

Daniel Ward & Heidi Swedberg sat in with us at a gig where they fingerpicked & occasionally strummed. Provided welcome variation to those who were strumming.

LukuleleStrings

I really try to mix strumming with fingerstyle so I can keep the rhythm and add the melody - that way nobody asks me to sing. Sometimes it works out pretty well.

GVlog

I wonder what everyone means by fingerstyle?

We could probably split hairs on what counts as fingerstyle (broken/arpeggiated chords, pattern-picking, single-finger runs, et al).

But I think the general difference may be playing in a style intended primarily for vocal accompaniment versus not.

ripock

that is actually a very trenchant definition.