Pono : Lattice bracing coming to all Pono Models in 2023 (Re-posted from Pono Website)

DJ Mango

Reaction score
Re-posted From ponoukuleleco.com/faq

We have decided that all models will eventually be lattice braced. And yes, the cost will be higher.
For the remainder of 2022 and throughout part of 2023 we will still have models with our traditional fan bracing. They still sound great, and more affordable. But eventually all will be lattice braced.
This will include all large body UL and BN models. The only difference with the Master Series is that it will have a few fancy inlays in the faceplate and fingerboard, but otherwise all models will have the same bracing system. ( as the Master Series)

Last edited:
Thanks for the share!

It is an interesting move. Is it to reposition themselves at a higher price point or to reflect that this newer bracing will noticeably improve the sound and incurs higher production costs?

I liken this to the Kanile'a Oha series that took a significant price jump and is also being "redesigned".

It seems that their is a potential shift in the marketplace that may be occurring.

Thanks for the share!

It is an interesting move. Is it to reposition themselves at a higher price point or to reflect that this newer bracing will noticeably improve the sound and incurs higher production costs?

I liken this to the Kanile'a Oha series that took a significant price jump and is also being "redesigned".

It seems that their is a potential shift in the marketplace that may be occurring.
Re-Posted from ponoukuleleco.com/faq

"And yes, the cost will l be higher. We have no choice. Our goal has always been to make the best, regardless of the cost. Of course we want to make a profit, but our pricing and cost are not the determining factor. We have always wanted to produce the highest quality, regardless of the cost. And we refuse to compromise our values."

"Through the years we have considered making a simple, unadorned, laminated model. And most manufacturers have proven that they would be popular and more profitable. But for one, we refuse to use laminated plywood. Some makers now call it “layered”. Which is a more acceptable term for plywood. And if a laminate instrument is made correctly, at the right thickness, can sound good. But it’s a short term investment. Laminated woods never age like solid woods. Again, they can sound ok, and much more affordable. You can buy cheap wine, and let it age many years, but it stills tastes like cheap wine."

"Instead, we want an instrument that ages to perfection with time, an instrument that becomes warmer and richer in tone with time. An instrument that is worthy of passing on to the next generation."

"In the world today we have enough stuff we buy that is simply “throw away” and ends up in the landfill."

"So, our long term goal is to specialize in high quality, solid wood instruments. We sell less …. but we sleep better knowing we have contributed to the integrity of stringed instruments."

Last edited:
Re-posted from theukulelereview.com :
"Keep it Pono” is local for, do it right, or show excellence in what you do."

Last edited:
I for one love that builders are willing to evolve their builds and try new (for them) directions. This is also why I respect Kanilea and Koaloha. Ono (David), Pahukani (Manny), and others are redefining the sounds we hear from the ukulele. Kudos to LFDM and the influence he has had with his use of lattice bracing for ukes.

Very interesting. I hope this will solve the issue with Pono ukes sometimes being a bit muffled, at least with the stock strings they use. I also like that a company is able to evolve and change their processes and builds for the better. I do wonder if any other new models will be added to the catalogue at the same time.

I for one love that builders are willing to evolve their builds and try new (for them) directions. This is also why I respect Kanilea and Koaloha. Ono (David), Pahukani (Manny), and others are redefining the sounds we hear from the ukulele. Kudos to LFDM and the influence he has had with his use of lattice bracing for ukes.
Oh! I forgot to mention: Pepe and his skin bracing, Tyde for working with some interesting wood sets and adjusting their builds. Iriguchi has some interesting builds as well. Kinnard recently switched to X brace I think, Petros from what I hear has his own take.

Oh! I forgot to mention: Pepe and his skin bracing, Tyde for working with some interesting wood sets and adjusting their builds. Iriguchi has some interesting builds as well. Kinnard recently switched to X brace I think, Petros from what I hear has his own take.
It is surprising that no one is copying the simple KoAloha unibrace, as I think the KoAloha sound is very popular and their construction is extremely low cost.

What price do you think the new basic Pono MC/AC/MGC with lattice bracing will be ?
Assuming no other changes .
Current fan brace models are $399

What price do you think the new basic Pono MC/AC/MGC with lattice bracing will be ?
Assuming no other changes .
Current fan brace models are $399
Wonder if they will be cheaper as lattice can be pre-assembled and glued in as one piece, so all in all faster and easier process.

Re-posted from ponoukuleleco.com/faq

"Lattice bracing includes several cross braces, intertwined together, with a graduated thickness soundboard. All of which is much more labor intensive and added material cost. Each top meticulously laid out, graduated, and tested. And using the highest quality Sitka Spruce for bracing, materials are much more expensive. "

"And yes, the cost will be higher."

Last edited:
I wish the current Master Series tenors included a side sound port as the original Master Series had.

Right now, the differentiation between models and features is very confusing.

Very interesting. I hope this will solve the issue with Pono ukes sometimes being a bit muffled, at least with the stock strings they use. I also like that a company is able to evolve and change their processes and builds for the better. I do wonder if any other new models will be added to the catalogue at the same time.
Stock strings are D'Addario Titanium .
What are some of the more popular alternatives people are using ?
For example , medium tension for strumming Hawaiian music .

I wish the current Master Series tenors included a side sound port as the original Master Series had.

Right now, the differentiation between models and features is very confusing.
The orig master series looked really cool with a beveled armrest, side port, and slotted head stock. Add the lattice bracing...that would be a killer custom-like uke!

Stock strings are D'Addario Titanium .
What are some of the more popular alternatives people are using ?
For example , medium tension for strumming Hawaiian music .
The stock strings are actually Ko'olau Alohi but I'm pretty sure they are just rebranded Titanium strings as you said. They're pretty much identical.

I personally really like the more subtle sound of Pono ukes with the stock strings or with nylon strings but I've read many people switch to fluorocarbons which gives the tone more punch, volume and sustain. Pretty much any fluorocarbon brand will do. Worth, Living Water, Fremont, Martin, all would be good choices. TUS themselves seem to favour either Ko'olau Aho or Uke Logic strings.

Thanks .
I think this is with stock strings .

I see that Pono has updated their FAQ :

"Our previous post mentioned that eventually all models will be lattice braced. After some serious consideration, we have decided to continue to offer both styles of bracing, both fan and lattice. They both sound great. Currently the only models with lattice bracing are the MS Master Series. And fan braced models will be more affordable.

Again, they both sound good, but lattice bracing costs more. We have no choice. Our goal has always been to make the best, regardless of the cost. Of course we want to make a profit, but our pricing and cost are not the determining factor. We just want to make high quality. We are not in competition with any other builder. We truly do not compare pricing to sell more. We refuse to compromise our values."

Last edited:
Top Bottom