Pono Mahogany Baritone vs Mainland Mahogany Baritone?

StumptownUke

Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone have any experience with either the Pono or Mainland mahogany baritones? I am looking to get my first baritone and both of these are around the price range I would like to be in (under $500). I've played a few Pono over the years and enjoyed them, but haven't played a Mainland instrument. Any big differences between the two? Is the Pono worth about $100+ more? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Pono baritone. Recently I test-played a Kanile'a barry. Wow! The K is much lighter than the Pono. Its tone is mega-times sweeter and better balanced than the Pono. Its sustain is waaay longer than Pono. I'm saving up to buy one.

I got lucky and found an older Indonesia made mahogany Pono PB on eBay... and boy is it wonderful. The tuners were shot and had to be repaired... and it only came with three strings... but what a score! The tone is absolutely wonderful, and the Worth browns I put on are a perfect match for it.

It never leaves the house... I'm so in love with the tone I would never want to lose it!

I'm not sure how many of these are out there, but if you can find one, you will probably love it as much as I do mine!

The one thing on the Pono's that can't be beat is that they have a truss rod - I live in the high and dry Great Basin area and I wouldn't buy a baritone uke without some type of neck adjustment/reinforcement.

I got lucky and found an older Indonesia made mahogany Pono PB on eBay... and boy is it wonderful. The tuners were shot and had to be repaired... and it only came with three strings... but what a score! The tone is absolutely wonderful, and the Worth browns I put on are a perfect match for it.

It never leaves the house... I'm so in love with the tone I would never want to lose it!

I'm not sure how many of these are out there, but if you can find one, you will probably love it as much as I do mine!
I just wondered what this means. Is Pono no longer making ukuleles in Indonesia or mahogany baritones in Indonesia?

You are correct... still in Indonesia as far as I know. Actually, the tag inside my Bari says "Made in Java, final assembly in Hawaii". My newer Pono just says "Made in Indonesia".

Top Bottom