Pono MTD-2

My understanding, and I own a MTD, is that it stands for Mahogany Tenor Deluxe. Just checked some Pono listings, The Acacia was list as a ATD., the mango was listed as MGTD I 'd say your right.

I recall we had some info about these cedar tops being MTDs a while back, but I don't recall the exact reasoning.

After the MTD-2 which was second offering if this series , I think they went MTD-SP for spruce (which I own) and the MTD-CR for cedar. You are correct MTD is mahogany tenor deluxe gloss finish. Then cam ATD for acacia deluxe , which was followed by an AT-CR for example Acatia tenor in Satin with cedar top. These are all great playing and sounding ukuleles no matter which version you have. I love mine!

That really looks light for mahogany but Pono doesn't artificially darken or stain their wood so it could be mahogany. My Pono MC was very light at first. Seems to be darkening with age.

I had this model at one point. Very nice guitar sound. radius fretboard, cedar top, mahogany back and sides. Gloss finish. Nice uke. Looks like this one is missing a low G string. The cedar top looks like it has some strum marks and that fretboard looks a bit thirsty

Like the Pro Classic tenors, this Pono model includes a radius fingerboard. It's barely apparent, yet for many, it contributes to the instrument's comfort and playability. On this beautiful ukulele, the tonal tone is pleasant and clear. It's a joy to play and listen to. I highly recommend it!

I can confirm that Uke in question is mahogany. It is exactly same color as my MTD-SP…… very light and looks beautiful. PONO does NOT stain their mahogany but I have seen darker MTD which is one version up from satin MT tenor……it has a gloss and generally looks darker…..again from what I have seen!

IMHO, I think this middle series is best bang for the buck sound and quality wise. While I do appreciate and the the Pono Pro Classic as far as playability and sound these are just as good, same radit’s fretboard. Now, Pro Classic vary in woodcombinations will sound different and even better depending upon instrument, woods. The woods are definitely a higher quality with more grain, pattern, etc as you move up.

Top Bottom