Pono PT

I have a PB- in mahogany... try Worth Browns on it... looks really fine and sounds great!

(And yes, it appears to be older... Java made)

Java made stuff was really great, koa was great but I think Koalau stopped putting great Koa on Pono and raised price on their major high end brand years ago

According to the label the secondhand Pono mahogany tenor I bought recently is a PTE model; I’m afraid I don’t know for sure the difference between this and the PT, but as mine has a pick-up I’ll guess that the E stands for electro-acoustic.

It’s made on Java with “final assembly and set-up on the island of O’ahu”. Construction feels solid and fairly light (although compared to some more traditional tenors it’s actually a little heavy), yet the sound really rings out beautifully and volume is very good. Gloss finish—including the neck, unfortunately—with front and back edge-binding, nicely coordinating with the bridge and fretboard which are a deep and striped brown I suspect is ebony. Neck profile is slightly chunkier and considerably rounder than I’m used to, but not uncomfortable. The mahogany shimmers beautifully: it’s a very attractive instrument, even with the visible wear. Age was estimated to be around twelve years or so.

Since I have it strung with Living Water fluorocarbons tuned low A and G it obviously doesn’t sound like an off the shelf version, but I’m hugely impressed with the tone. Balanced, clear and warm, it’s an instrument I find myself playing for rather longer than intended simply because it’s so pleasing.

How it compares to a current Pono I’m afraid I cannot say.

Judging by the SUS description: "This is an early Pono PT Solid Mahogany Tenor. This model merges features of the Pono MTD Mahogany Deluxe Tenor and the Pro Classic range of Ukuleles.", I'd say that ProTenor is probably correct.

Top Bottom