Show us your ukes!

23eddie-contest-top-hplq-superJumbo.jpg

After 7-Year Wait, a Lifeguard Wins Surfing’s Holy Grail in 50-Foot Waves​

A local lifeguard beat out the top pro surfers for the trophy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/sports/eddie-aikau-big-wave-invitational.html?action=click&algo=bandit-all-surfaces-shadow-lda-unique-diversify-time-cutoff-30&alpha=0.05&block=trending_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=976096181&impression_id=e69c58e8-9b6d-11ed-a1bf-dfbe602f5aa6&index=0&pgtype=Article&pool=pool/91fcf81c-4fb0-49ff-bd57-a24647c85ea1&region=footer&req_id=385769170&shadow_vec_sim=0.1712453005240413&surface=eos-most-popular-story&variant=0_bandit-eng30s-diversify-shadow-lda-unique

The guy won it in his lifeguard uniform! They said he had to ask his boss for breaks during the day to surf his heats! and then he went back on patrol after the event! Unreal!

Last edited:
Though it took several weeks, I ended up taking my own advice in a different thread and getting a luthier-made tenor from a local shop in Seattle.

Very loud, very bright! Amazing sustain. My left hand just glides along the neck with almost no effort. Feels really great to hold and play. Can't wait to get my preferred nylon strings on it to see how it behaves.

Lone Tree standard tenor
by Steve Doreen (Vancouver Island, Canada)
Engelmann spruce top
Black walnut back & sides w/side sound port
Maple binding
Granadillo fretboard & bridge
Zero fret with wood string guide
Open Grover tuners

@hands_on_lanzon

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg
IMG_3659.jpgIMG_3673.jpg
IMG_3664.jpgIMG_3670.jpgIMG_3665.jpg
IMG_3661.jpgIMG_3663.jpgIMG_3674.jpg

Last edited:
Though it took several weeks, I ended up taking my own advice in a different thread and getting a luthier-made tenor from a local shop in Seattle.

Very loud, very bright! Amazing sustain. My left hand just glides along the neck with almost no effort. Feels really great to hold and play. Can't wait to get my preferred nylon strings on it to see how it behaves.

Lone Tree standard tenor
by Steve Doreen (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
Engelmann spruce top
Maple binding
Open Grover tuners

@hands_on_lanzon

View attachment 147411

Stuns on the Red beige carpet !
Which are your preferred nylon strings ?

Stuns on the Red beige carpet !
Which are your preferred nylon strings ?
I should have said my “preferred string, which are nylon.” I haven’t tried too many different ones, but I like what I have: D’Addario clear nylons, EJ65T. I happen to have different brands in the mail now, so time will tell which I like most.

Lone Tree standard tenor
by Steve Doreen (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
Engelmann spruce top
Maple binding
Open Grover tuners

@hands_on_lanzon

View attachment 147411

YAY!!!! Steve's a local luthier on the Island here (Lake Cowichan, actually, not Vancouver). Love his work! My teacher has one of his tenors, it's lovely. This one is gorgeous and I bet it sounds wonderful.

So neat! Small world. And thank you for the correction.
I always wonder why the price of the uke is not stated. I always include the price I paid, full disclosure. I recently had a custom tenor thinline cutaway uke, all solid acacia koa with flame maple fretboard and binding, made by Bruce Wei Guitar in Vietnam, including express shipping, it cost $885. It's built and sounds great.

BWA thin acacia koa.jpg

I always wonder why the price of the uke is not stated. I always include the price I paid, full disclosure. I recently had a custom tenor thinline cutaway uke, all solid acacia koa with flame maple fretboard and binding, made by Bruce Wei Guitar in Vietnam, including express shipping, it cost $885. It's built and sounds great.
??? I think I missed the post where the price wasn't stated? Lone Tree definitely gives you the starting point that you're looking at for custom built ukuleles (about $2000 Canadian). Although I know there's been a lot of chatter about Ukulele Friend not posting pricing for stuff that's over that $2-3K mark, was that what you were referring to? Sorry if I missed it!

??? I think I missed the post where the price wasn't stated? Lone Tree definitely gives you the starting point that you're looking at for custom built ukuleles (about $2000 Canadian). Although I know there's been a lot of chatter about Ukulele Friend not posting pricing for stuff that's over that $2-3K mark, was that what you were referring to? Sorry if I missed it!
Every post I looked at in the last few pages doesn't state a price for the uke posted. What prompted my post was Brian's purchase at a local store in Seattle, and then those others. I don't mean going to builders web site and finding out, I mean the exact price a person paid who is posting a uke here. Every single uke and bass uke I've posted here, and on the Talk Bass forum, I give the exact price I paid as service for anyone who might be interested in getting one.

Every post I looked at in the last few pages doesn't state a price for the uke posted. What prompted my post was Brian's purchase at a local store in Seattle, and then those others. I don't mean going to builders web site and finding out, I mean the exact price a person paid who is posting a uke here. Every single uke and bass uke I've posted here, and on the Talk Bass forum, I give the exact price I paid as service for anyone who might be interested in getting one.
Oh I see. I hadn't expected people to let us know what they paid, I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks for the explanation!

The luthier built Ukulele I recently purchased and posted about, is a one of a kind build, and the luthier has no plans for making more for sale. He intends to make more Ukuleles, but they are all spoken for. He intends to only make them for his grandchildren. He is more interested in making guitars.

I was unaware that the tradition here is to post the price paid when posting in this thread. I don't feel it really applies to my posting due to it not being available for purchase? But, thanks for the heads up!

Lone Tree standard tenor
by Steve Doreen (Vancouver Island, Canada)
Engelmann spruce top
Maple binding
Open Grover tuners
That is stunning! Love the figuring on the back and sides!

I don't think it is, lately anyway. It rarely comes up on this thread in my brief experience.
I was just curious and checked back to the first few posts of this thread and didn't see prices. My thought is that this is meant to be sexy uke pics and not necessarily sharing with intent for others to purchase. There might even be posts of sexy ukes that the person posting doesn't own... just sharing the pure beauty of a gorgeous drool worthy ukulele.

Perhaps this thread might have some cross vibes with NUDs or "Please, somebody buy this" where stating prices might make more sense. I don't even feel like listing a price in a NUD is expected tho.

I personally enjoy the thrill of the hunt... looking up and learning about new models and makers that I come across.

Top Bottom