Preparing for UWC

olgoat52

Reaction score
Given the scientific precedent for "state dependent learning" I have decided that I will only practice playing the uke until after I am totally inebriated so that in June I will be playing at my peak at the optimal time.

I think that maybe how the senior CHUG members got to where they are today.

I believe I am sufficiently snockered to begin. I bid you all adieu.

Exactly 6 weeks today from where I'm sittin' now in Sydney Oz to where I'll be sittin' on a field in Needmore ... woohoo!!!
I'm so glad to see you're getting down to the serious business of preparation - and taking such a scientific approach to it as well.
I'll look forward to seeing the outcome of all this "practice". Meanwhile ... enjoy!!!!

Exactly 6 weeks today from where I'm sittin' now in Sydney Oz to where I'll be sittin' on a field in Needmore ... woohoo!!!
I'm so glad to see you're getting down to the serious business of preparation - and taking such a scientific approach to it as well.
I'll look forward to seeing the outcome of all this "practice". Meanwhile ... enjoy!!!!

I figure its like training for the olympics at high altitude. Ya gotta train high to perform high.. Right?

Last edited:

Oh and one of the tunes I have enjoyed playing with CHUG this winter has been Bye Bye Love which I believe you performed last UWC.

I'm tooooootally with you on that - my background's in psychology and State Dependent Learning was in there somewhere - that's like an eternity ago but it's one of those things that stays with you, and provides for an interesting take on things sometimes ;) I'm flying in early this time - hope that the state I'm in, apart from Indiana, will not be totally jetlagged when I'm on the field. Last year, that first night, I was nodding off to sleep while pointing the camera at the stage. Anyhow - I'm pretty excited!

Bye Bye Love - yay! Haven't done it in a while - but yeah, that was my icebreaker to the open mic situation. I had a little help from my FleaBitten Dawg friends. I love love all those Everly Brothers songs - 'cause I especially love to sing harmonies and they make it so easy. Do you recall what key you've been playing the song?

Bye Bye Love - yay! Haven't done it in a while - but yeah, that was my icebreaker to the open mic situation. I had a little help from my FleaBitten Dawg friends. I love love all those Everly Brothers songs - 'cause I especially love to sing harmonies and they make it so easy. Do you recall what key you've been playing the song?

Key of F. Lead off chord is Bb (Bye Bye Love).

Just ran it through in F - love the key of F. Fabulous - maybe we can jam on it eh! Funny - the song seemed soooooo challenging last year - now it's more like a piece of cake. That's pretty heartening! Raise your glass to making progress!

Just ran it through in F - love the key of F. Fabulous - maybe we can jam on it eh! Funny - the song seemed soooooo challenging last year - now it's more like a piece of cake. That's pretty heartening! Raise your glass to making progress!

Funny. The video made it seem like you had it down. Love to play it with it you at UWC.

Yes, well it held together pretty well despite my nerves - I think I had the music in front of me somewhere. But now I can just pick up the uke and play it. I attended Jim D'Ville's Play Ukulele By Ear workshop at least 4 times in the last year - it was one of my goals - to be able to feel the music and hear where it needed to go. It seems I need to sing from my heart, and that doesn't work so well when you're looking at the music. So learning the songs - chords/lyrics has been my mission. Early on it was amazingly hard feeding that stuff into my fairly senior brain. The more songs I learn, the easier it gets. And it really is liberating to be able to just pick up the uke and play something. One song I had a go at a few months back - Hello Marylou - haven't learnt it yet but I recall finding it a lot of fun to play, something about the chord progression. Have you ever played it? Must go find!

Hello Mary Lou: Ricky Nelson ... something like ...
A

Chorus
A .....................D
Hel lo Mary Lou, Good-bye heart,
A .................................................E 7
Sweet Mary Lou I'm so in love with you,
A ......................C#7 F#m
I knew Mary Lou, We'd never part,
B7 ................E7..................A D A
So hello Mary Lou, Good-bye heart!

Verse 1
A
She passed me by one sunny day,
D
Flashed those big brown eyes my way,
A ............................................E7
And oooh, I wanted you forever more ,
A
I'm not one who gets around,
D
Swear my feet stuck to the ground,
A ..........................E7 ..................A
And though I never did meet you before, ........... I said

Chorus

Verse 2
A
I saw your lips I heard your voice
D
Be lieve me I just had no choice
A .............................................. E7
Wild horses couldn't make me stay away
A
I thought about a moonlit night
D
Arms around you good and tight
A.......................E7................. A
That's all I had to see for me to say:

Chorus

A... ................E7..................A
Yes hello Mary Lou, Good-bye heart!
A... ................E7..................A D A
Hello Mary Lou, Good-bye heart!

Jenn -

Remember to be ready for your U.S. Geography quiz when you get here in June!

Jenn -

Just remember Chicago, Illinois (the "s" is silent if you please).
The rest is superfluous... :cool: (take it easy.. just kidding)

Jenn -

Hey Jon ... I'm cool with that - so long as you're ready for your Oz Geography Quiz! Lake Cadibarrawirracanna, Burrumbuttock, Upotipotpon, Bong Bong and Pimpinbudgie ... are you ready ?

Hey Jon ... I'm cool with that - so long as you're ready for your Oz Geography Quiz! Lake Cadibarrawirracanna, Burrumbuttock, Upotipotpon, Bong Bong and Pimpinbudgie ... are you ready ?

I think I went as a Pimpin' Budgie for Hallowe'en once...

Top Bottom