Price increases

It’s pretty sad…I notice the AMM3 tenor mahogany went up from $599 to 699.00 being retired that is a lot. Groceries……up a ton and quantity in packaging is less. No more bagged salad for me….I’m building from scratch. Funny how Pono can keep the AT, MT and MGT tenor at $399. Ive got an AT and love it And I got it in 2013 for $399. LOL best ukulele for the price. I did want to try a AMM3 though.

On east coast of Canada, out car lots are empty…..no inventory. Ford just had to stop production of the new Maverick truck and Bronco SUV due chip shortage.

I’ve had to go into a holding pattern on Uke purchases. I buy and change string less often now. Sign of the time……but I do hope it gets better soon. Gas is at all time high in Halifax, NS

It’s pretty sad…I notice the AMM3 tenor mahogany went up from $599 to 699.00 being retired that is a lot. Groceries……up a ton and quantity in packaging is less. No more bagged salad for me….I’m building from scratch. Funny how Pono can keep the AT, MT and MGT tenor at $399. Ive got an AT and love it And I got it in 2013 for $399. LOL best ukulele for the price. I did want to try a AMM3 though.

On east coast of Canada, out car lots are empty…..no inventory. Ford just had to stop production of the new Maverick truck and Bronco SUV due chip shortage.

I’ve had to go into a holding pattern on Uke purchases. I buy and change string less often now. Sign of the time……but I do hope it gets better soon. Gas is at all time high in Halifax, NS
The AMMs are what caught my eye. I was going to recommend it to someone looking in the $500 range, but it went up to $699. A big jump. The Ponos have gone up on HMS as well, at least mine have.

The price increase in ukes does not bother me as much as in other areas like food or clothing or other necessities.

Ukulele shopping has been much more an availability issue than a price one. So I might be looking for a certain scale size, in a specific wood from a single manufacturer. If it shows up, then I have to make the purchase before someone else does. Comparing the price to what it was a year or two ago when someone was considering it is a little funny as we are so used to prices going up anyway.

Real world, three years ago I purchased a Cordoba for $99. It is now $119. A Flight TUS 35 two years later is still $49. There are always a supply of cheap ukes if one is really price sensitive.

On a different price tier, aNueNue Moon Birds might have increased $100 as have Blackbirds. This is less than 10% over two to three years. How many of you would have made the purchase if you knew that a year later, the price might be $100 more?

The current pandemic effects on supply and shipping may play some part in increasing prices. But it is likely that salary increases (living wages?) and loss of workers and business revenue and decreased production due to covid policies have a much greater effect.

I want that on a shirt. May I quote it?

I'm having my first attacks of UAS too. The Waterman is legitimately necessary for playing outdoors. The tiny sopranissimo I have my eye on is just curiosity though.
I wouldn't have a Waterman if you gave it to me....wait, somebody did, we just gave it away. It's gonna be used for artwork, a ukulele decorating contest. Save up and get the Enya, you'll love it.

But it is likely that salary increases (living wages?) and loss of workers and business revenue and decreased production due to covid policies have a much greater effect.
Can't be, since that didn't actually happen. It's demand coupled with extreme shortages and vastly-increased shipping/supply costs. The cost of wood alone has doubled or tripled in most places.

I wouldn't have a Waterman if you gave it to me....wait, somebody did, we just gave it away. It's gonna be used for artwork, a ukulele decorating contest. Save up and get the Enya, you'll love it.
Nah the harsh timbred cheap ukes are my jam. It's an appropriate sound quality for someone who sings about mutant three headed eagles...I don't intentionally try and be grimdark, but I was a death metal fan all my life and that's where my brain automatically goes for imagery and metaphor.

I recently checked out what it would cost for another one of my beloved ukes. I think I ordered it in Nov. of 2019 and received it in Jan. or Feb. of 2020. Since then the price has gone up by $190.00. Granted, when I ordered it, it was an introductory price projected to go up by $50.00 after the introductory period. Still, that's a price jump of $140.00. I had planned on recommending it to someone else but they would have been out of the game at the higher price.

Good post right above me by Bill. Those super cheap ukuleles are often made in factories with less than ethical work practices. I try, the best I can, to support artisans, craftspeople and small farmers. Not easy, of course, and yes, I have the privledge of having the resources. I know that not everyone does.

Also, here are many, many builders with reasonable prices. My Brad Donaldson Martin 0 copy is amazing, and was shipped to me for about $400, all in. My David Hanson uke was just a bit more than that, and it was totally custom. I used to enjoy super cheap ukes, but now would far rather have one good one than three that are factory made.

Lastly, the consequences of increased prices for new ukes is also increased prices for when you sell your used ones. But, that means you have to sell, not only buy :).

I have also learned that I far prefer buying here than I do new ukes, unless they are made for me by the luthier.

Good post right above me by Bill. Those super cheap ukuleles are often made in factories with less than ethical work practices. I try, the best I can, to support artisans, craftspeople and small farmers. Not easy, of course, and yes, I have the privledge of having the resources. I know that not everyone does.

Also, here are many, many builders with reasonable prices. My Brad Donaldson Martin 0 copy is amazing, and was shipped to me for about $400, all in. My David Hanson uke was just a bit more than that, and it was totally custom. I used to enjoy super cheap ukes, but now would far rather have one good one than three that are factory made.

Lastly, the consequences of increased prices for new ukes is also increased prices for when you sell your used ones. But, that means you have to sell, not only buy :).

I have also learned that I far prefer buying here than I do new ukes, unless they are made for me by the luthier.
Yep, this is exactly how I look at it, although it took me a while to understand this - although I still think about good foreign ukes like anuenue and kiwaya.
I worry just a little about increased prices meaning increased inflation creating decreased purchasing ability of savings. But still, it's time for me to sell a few ukes to buy another or two :)

Last edited:
A lot has been said about the supply side, but I think increasing global demand has also played into it (at least according to one report, though I'm not sure how trustworthy it is). Sometimes, brands raise prices because they can -- to some extent, it's the responsible thing to do for their employees and shareholders.

While it's true as @Kaelrie notes above that prices rarely come down, it's also the natural evolution of a market that other, new competitors will see that as an opportunity to enter the market at a lower price point or with interesting innovations. I personally look forward to the next aNueNue, Blackbird, etc to bring their new ideas to market!

Among my most expensive ukes are two Donaldsons (One a custom build, one Bradford built on spec), a National Triolian I am the third owner of (And the prior two owners are UU members), a Timms I bought practically unused on eBay when I couldn't get a new one for love nor money, and my KoAloha Sceptre (as seen in the avatar) that my late mother-in-law gave me half the purchase price on, after my wife told her how wonderful it sounded while I was playing it at the shop. Of these, only the Sceptre cost me more than $1000.

The Spalted Ecualyptus Ohana and the southern Cross Banjo Uke might have cost more than $700 - I can't recall - but I don't think anything else I've got was more than $450.00

IF I had to replace any of these instruments, I think I'd be paying 50-75% more for any of them (other than the Waterman) if I could get them.

And, oddly enough, I haven't had the desire to purchase another ukulele for about the last 20 or so months.

-Kurt​

Speaking of price increases. I think Kanile'a K1's just went up in price to $1,455.00. K1's were $1,355 last month and $1,270 last year. Shezz... Normally when 1 k-brand goes up, all the others follow.

They raised their prices since last year (like the others), but the K1 model you linked has “deluxe” koa and is normally $100 more than the base level K1. The base model K1 is still $1,355, per Kanile’a’s website.

Top Bottom