Question about strings

I want to use one of the sets I have here.

I'm pretty new to changing strings so different string qualities is a bit mystery to me, but I'm getting there.

I want the two ukes to sound different, so I'm gonna put the high G Black Nylons on the Pono to see what they sound like.
There you go. Use what you got. Try the Nylon set first as you said. Give them a chance, then you can try the fluorocarbons next if you decide to.
Sounds like a good plan....

BTW: Don't flip out when you see how much a set of Worth strings cost (about $15) if you decide to go that direction...

Each set is actually two sets. The strings are double length, and you start by cutting them in half. Your extra set is right there waiting.

Which is a bummer if you don't like them, but...

I use the "Clears" on my cedar top Pono tenor and the "Browns" on my Pono mahogany Baritone and they sound awesome to me.

What do these numbers on the back of the package mean?

Attachments

• 20220313_174902.jpg
    20220313_174902.jpg
    838.9 KB · Views: 14
That lists the diameter (in inches) of each string. The number on the left is string #1.

Decoder: A "28" string is actually .028" in diameter.
(They never make things easy to understand ;)

The "36W" means that string #3 is wound and is .036" in diameter.

Bonus: Because string #4 is smaller than #2 and #4, it must be a "high" G.

Last edited:
That lists the diameter (in inches) of each string. The number on the left is string #1.

Interestingly the D'Addario site does not mention that a wound string is included. But dealer sites say that it is aluminum wound. Seems to be a professional level set for sure.

You have a wound C-string in this pack. It's not uncommon for some players and ukulele makers to want a little more oomph on the C.
Some Low-G players have both the Low-G and the C as wound strings.

Even more variety to choose from.

You have a wound C-string in this pack. It's not uncommon for some players and ukulele makers to want a little more oomph on the C.
Some Low-G players have both the Low-G and the C as wound strings.

Even more variety to choose from.
Ah yes, I forgot that the set had a wound C!

But since I put the wound C on, I can now define the sound of the Aquila Reds- they squeak like wound metal strings- only worse! Learning!

I'm currently enamored with Pop's UkeSA strings. The low G set has a fluorocarbon G string that should fit most nut slots.
The sound and feel of these are just excellent with a nice balance between bright and warm.

There are only two sets, a high and low G, and each covers soprano, concert or tenor. I got a set for my KoAloha tenor but now have them on two other ukuleles as well.

Top Bottom