Questions on selling

As the seller, you shouldn't have to do anything. PayPal collects the payment, automatically subtracts the fees from the buyer's payment and holds the money in your PP account.

I've been trying to read the PP instructions, and this seems correct.
I've had a PP account for years, (have sold on UU before, even though I sound - and am - currently confused about it), and what Kenn2018 said is what happened. The money went into the PP account, I was able to use that to purchase other things, and hopefully, the new owner was happy with the ukulele they received.

But I recall PP sending an email there was a new rule and that they needed a bank account linked to the account. Is this just my faulty memory? Can I just proceed as I have in the past, and quit worrying about this - and quit asking you all about it? :)

If I sell a uke here and someone sends me the money via PayPal, will it just be held in my account, and I can just spend it on other things until that balance is gone?

Thank you all for your patience. I should have paid more attention to that email long ago that has me confused now.

It works for me as you describe, EXCEPT that I have it linked to a credit card (for when I buy and spent what was in it) and not a bank account. I believe I only need to link it to an account if I want the money from the sale transferred there instead of spending it like a debit card. I figure this is no riskier than purchasing anything online using a card.

The big advantage is that you keep most or all of the purchase price without consignment fees, etc. You could include or charge shipping (I like to include it) since you likely have to pay shipping for any consignment sale.

I suggest you contact PayPal directly.

In case I confused anyone else with my own confusion:

You don't need to have a bank account linked to your PayPal account. But if you've been inactive on PayPal, they'll hold on to your money for 21 days before releasing it to you.

But I recall PP sending an email there was a new rule and that they needed a bank account linked to the account. Is this just my faulty memory? Can I just proceed as I have in the past, and quit worrying about this - and quit asking you all about it? :)

Are you sure it's not an email from eBay you're thinking of? Some time ago eBay changed to requiring a bank account to be linked in order to be able to sell. Perhaps that's what you're remembering?

You don't need to have a bank account linked to your PayPal account. But if you've been inactive on PayPal, they'll hold on to your money for 21 days before releasing it to you.

I believe you are confusing the IIRC business account with the personal account.

The personal account requires a credit/debit card, or a link to your bank account. Which is necessary to open your PP account to begin with.

The IIRC requires either a link to your bank account, or you having a PayPal Credit Card. (It might be a debit card.)

I'm not familiar with the active time condition. I guess I use it often enough to avoid that?

Make sure your credit card on file is up to date and hasn't expired.

I use my AmexCard. It does not allow third parties like PayPal to add money to my account. So I ask for a check from PP and pay the fee. Or I can keep the money in my PP account. And use it to pay for something when I want.

Are you sure it's not an email from eBay you're thinking of? Some time ago eBay changed to requiring a bank account to be linked in order to be able to sell. Perhaps that's what you're remembering?

eBay doesn't know that I exist, (haven't used it to sell or buy), so I'm pretty sure it wasn't an email from eBay.
But, the email was quite a while back, and I didn't read it carefully, so I probably just have myself confused. The email was the reason my PayPal account went inactive, though. Whatever I thought I read, (maybe misread), it prompted me to stop using PayPal when selling anything, though I have used it to purchase things.

I believe you are confusing the IIRC business account with the personal account.

The personal account requires a credit/debit card, or a link to your bank account. Which is necessary to open your PP account to begin with.

The IIRC requires either a link to your bank account, or you having a PayPal Credit Card. (It might be a debit card.)

I'm not familiar with the active time condition. I guess I use it often enough to avoid that?

Make sure your credit card on file is up to date and hasn't expired.

I use my AmexCard. It does not allow third parties like PayPal to add money to my account. So I ask for a check from PP and pay the fee. Or I can keep the money in my PP account. And use it to pay for something when I want.

I'm not sure what an IIRC account is, but I do know that my credit card is up to date. Just bought some more masks as the COVID rates in my area surge up again, and used PayPal when paying.

I think that PayPal is just telling me to sell more ukuleles. :)
I don't plan on selling any more now, though, so they'll put me back on inactive status, I guess. That's OK. I'd rather be actively playing my ukuleles.

Top Bottom