Questions re starting UBass ......

tm3

Reaction score
I've been playing the uke for a little over 6 months now and am really enjoying it. Recently, I've started seriously considering trying the UBass because 1) My uke group does not have a bass player, 2) I think that bass may be more amenable to playing my favorite type of music (classic rock), and 3) It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

I've got some questions that hopefully the group can help me answer.

1) I would not want to give up the uke, so I'm not sure how adding in another instrument would fit. Would I need to double up on my practice time, half uke and half bass? Or do they complement each other some how? Do most UBass players abandon the uke?

2) I wasn't sure if I would like the uke so I went with a sub $100 starter instrument. With a UBass I think I would like to start with something higher end. Would that be the Kala UBass?

3) I've frequently heard the recommendation that one should buy a uke from a specialty uke dealer to get proper setup and quality control. Does the same advice apply to a UBass? Which dealers are recommended as sources for UBass?

Thanks for the help and any recommendations!

Good questions and I'm sure our resident u-bass expert, kohanmike, will be along shortly

There is no reason to abandon the uke. I think they do complement each other though the tuning and approach are very different.

Kala is certainly the most common brand and are generally well regarded though there are several levels within the lineup.

Great question about the specialty dealer. I am adamant about that for ukes, especially on the lower end of the market, as a good setup makes a huge difference. With U-bass, Kala at least, I'm not sure it's as important. But I'm curious to hear what others say about that.

Thanks, Jim! I'd probably ditch the idea if I thought it was an either/or choice (uke or UBass).

Absolutely don't abandon the uke. I started playing uke 7 years ago with a large seniors group, great fun and I liked it so much, I gave up the guitar after playing almost 50 years. About a year after being a member of the group, the leader asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound. When I played guitar, I was often told I should play bass because I had good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a big electric bass guitar, forget a stand up bass. When I discovered all the acoustic bass ukes and mini electric bass guitars I went for it. One other guy also volunteered, we actually play at the same time.

I mostly play bass now, but I also found ways to play uke. One is I joined an acoustic group that meets in a park every Sunday for 2 hours, guitars, mandolins, slide guitar and a couple of ukes. When they found out I played bass uke, they asked me to bring it, but I said I joined the group specifically to play the uke (i also play harmonica when we do blues). Another is when my uke group goes out for a gig where only 10 or 12 of us play (we have 50 members). I'll play uke while the other guy plays bass. Once a month we have an open mic and I'll also bring my uke and play a song (we meet twice a week for an hour each time).

The only thing to be conscious of is keeping the tuning right, every once in a while I start to tune my bass like a uke and visa versa, but I always catch myself.

I recommend the Rondo Hadean bass ukes, either acoustic or solid body, the price is right and to me they're plenty good compared to the rather costly Kalas. https://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Certainly no need to give up uke to play bass! Practice time is totally different. For me, it's hard to practice alone, I started playing quietly in the corner with a group, just to see if I could get the "groove", just playing root and fifth, some people didn't even know I was playing bass. Then I asked the leaders if I could bring my amp and bass and play bass with the group. I'm the regular bass player with one group and sometime bass player with a couple other groups. I actually would rather play bass than uke, but still enjoy uke and open mics.

Mike likes Rondo/Hadean, but he's a tinkerer and sometimes they need tinkering. I've always had Kala (on my third one now) and would recommend. IMO I'd look for a used older pre-pre-amp version, no need for batteries and I think the quality is better. Check ebay and/or reverb.

When I played guitar, I was often told I should play bass because I had good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a big electric bass guitar, forget a stand up bass.

I recommend the Rondo Hadean bass ukes, either acoustic or solid body, the price is right and to me they're plenty good compared to the rather costly Kalas. https://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Thanks! Interesting comments about your feel for the rhythm. When playing with the group, and hearing what others are doing, I think that rhythm is my strong suit.

The price is certainly right on those Hadeans, and they have a nice looking walnut one on sale. I guess I could do what I did with my starter uke ie check it out with my string gauge and check the intonation and if something seems off I could send it back. However, IIRC the Hadeans don't come with the best strings installed and I'd rather not have to fool with changing out the strings right off the bat.

I started playing quietly in the corner with a group, just to see if I could get the "groove", just playing root and fifth, some people didn't even know I was playing bass.

Mike likes Rondo/Hadean, but he's a tinkerer and sometimes they need tinkering. I've always had Kala (on my third one now) and would recommend. IMO I'd look for a used older pre-pre-amp version, no need for batteries and I think the quality is better. Check ebay and/or reverb.

I was thinking the same thing, that is after playing enough on my own to feel comfortable with root and 5th I would start at the group, unplugged, just to see if I could keep up -- I'm assuming that this means that I should start with an acoustic UBass. Then at some point I would add an amp but certainly not until I felt like I would be contributing as opposed to detracting.

I definitely would not want to have to tinker on my first bass. I felt comfortable with my starter uke purchase because the uke had strong reviews, I had a solid return policy, and I knew that in the unlikely event that something was wrong with it I could just return it and go to Plan B without losing any money. OTOH, $130 for the Hadean vs $500+ for the Kala is a big difference for instruments that might not be that much different. I would not be comfortable buying a used instrument unless I knew the seller as I've heard too many horror stories about internet purchases and scams.

It sounds like there is not a Mim or HMS in the bass world, but it also sounds like there are really only two choices (Kala or Hadean) so that helps.

I appreciate the help from you all! You have given me a lot to think about. I'll continue to mull this over and try to decide what I want to do.

Thing is, the role of a bass player is totally different from what a ukulele player is doing. You're going to be playing single note bass lines. You're no longer making chord shapes or strumming.

Someone who's already a bass player can transition to Ubass easily because it's just a matter of getting used to the very short scale length, but if you haven't played bass before you'll need to learn that. I'd be very surprised if there aren't some resources available for learning how to play Ubass (like "Dummies Guide" type books and videos). Alternately, you could take some lessons from a bass player. Surely some of them would be willing to take on a Ubass player. The basic concept is the same as playing fretless bass guitar just scaled way way down.

However, IIRC the Hadeans don't come with the best strings installed and I'd rather not have to fool with changing out the strings right off the bat.
Hadeans come with fine strings, though they may not be what you want - especially if your goal is rock bass. There are several types of strings for Ubasses and it's personal preference what you like. The classic uke bass strings are flooby synthetic rubber (Thunderguts, Pahoehoe, etc.) which feel weird but give a great sound - they're as close to an upright sound as you can get without an upright. More modernly there are a lot of options for round- and flat-wound strings that will give more of a bass guitar feel and sound.

In general you want to buy a bass with the type of strings that you're going to stick with - the types are sufficiently different (flooby strings are very large in diameter) that you may need to modify the bass to switch types. Switching the nut is easy, but modifying or moving the bridge can be a major project.

I love the sound of the rubber strings and have them on my Hadean solid-body and my GoldTone acoustic. If your goal is rock-bass then look for one with round-wounds.

I was thinking the same thing, that is after playing enough on my own to feel comfortable with root and 5th I would start at the group, unplugged, just to see if I could keep up -- I'm assuming that this means that I should start with an acoustic UBass. Then at some point I would add an amp but certainly not until I felt like I would be contributing as opposed to detracting.
Just playing roots is valuable and relatively easy. The hard part for me is that chord+lyric sheets are often ambiguous as to timing - do you play a specific chord for one bar? two? half? If you're not familiar with the music (or if the group isn't) it can be hard to keep on track with changes, and it's a skill to keep going and stay on the beat even if you hit the wrong note. I've been going through the songbooks and annotating them so they're easier to follow.

Acoustically, u-basses are pretty much non-entities. They are very quiet, and you will need amplification to be heard. I like my acoustic because I can just grab it off of the wall and play a bit without having to plug in. Even though it's loud for a UBass (it's 25" guitar scale, so a bit bigger) it's not audible in a group.

I definitely would not want to have to tinker on my first bass.
Don't get a cheap one, and watch your return policy. The pickups on cheap acoustic basses are notoriously flaky. They're not hard to tinker with, but it's likely they'll need tinkering.

it also sounds like there are really only two choices (Kala or Hadean) so that helps.
There are many other choices (sorry - not helpful ;) ). Most of the typical cheap Chinese brands (Donner, Kmise, Aklot, etc) have a bass these days. They're probably all comparable. Be careful of Luna - they have a "bass" that is tuned an octave higher than normal to a guitar octave.

If you don't need to restrict yourself to uke-scale (mostly 20", but Kala--the owners of the UBass trademark--make some 23") there are very good options in the 23"-25" scale from Ohana, GoldTone, Taylor, Ibanez, etc.

Locally, several uke-group bass players have these, and a Uke festival last year had Ohanas as loaners for the UBass classes. I've not seen anybody turn one away (ok - one grade 4 kid thought it was dumb to come to a uke group without a uke. He was only there because Mom wanted to play), Being acoustic my flooby-stringed GoldTone 25 feels more ukey than my bright blue, solid-body Hadean with 20" flooby strings.

The basic concept is the same as playing fretless bass guitar just scaled way way down.
Most UBasses are fretted. The best ones are fretless ;) (probably not for rock bass). Otherwise correct: UBass are much more bass than ukulele. Bass lessons and techniques apply - Scott's Bass Lessons is great. TalkingBass has some good free beginner videos. There's no real need for UBass specific tutorials, but there are a few channels on YouTube to check out. Stephen Cox comes to mind, and he has some good UBass specific content such as comparisons of the different string types on essentially the same instrument.

Thing is, the role of a bass player is totally different from what a ukulele player is doing. You're going to be playing single note bass lines. You're no longer making chord shapes or strumming.

Someone who's already a bass player can transition to Ubass easily because it's just a matter of getting used to the very short scale length, but if you haven't played bass before you'll need to learn that. I'd be very surprised if there aren't some resources available for learning how to play Ubass (like "Dummies Guide" type books and videos). Alternately, you could take some lessons from a bass player. Surely some of them would be willing to take on a Ubass player. The basic concept is the same as playing fretless bass guitar just scaled way way down.

Yes I would have to try to learn how to play the UBass. I would think that there are resources such as YouTube or books or even private lessons.

Hadeans come with fine strings, though they may not be what you want - especially if your goal is rock bass.

In general you want to buy a bass with the type of strings that you're going to stick with.
I love the sound of the rubber strings and have them on my Hadean solid-body and my GoldTone acoustic. If your goal is rock-bass then look for one with round-wounds.

Don't get a cheap one, and watch your return policy. The pickups on cheap acoustic basses are notoriously flaky. They're not hard to tinker with, but it's likely they'll need tinkering.

If you don't need to restrict yourself to uke-scale (mostly 20", but Kala--the owners of the UBass trademark--make some 23") there are very good options in the 23"-25" scale from Ohana, GoldTone, Taylor, Ibanez, etc.

Lots of great stuff in this post -- thanks! I am seeing how much I don't know and it's good that I asked.

I was thinking that the Pahohoes were the strings of choice for most players. Good to know that the other options are workable or even better. I will spend some time trying to learn what round and flat wound strings are.

I'll also try to learn about scale length. I thought a UBass was a UBass. Picking up something from Taylor or Ohana or whatever sounds appealing, as long as it would work OK for me.

I had read somewhere else that beginners should stay away from the fretless, so at least I can narrow it down to a fretted instrument!

Thanks again for taking the time to post all that info!

Bass ukes are tuned exactly the same as regular size bass so any bass lesson will apply to bass ukes. I first took some lessons from a super pro bass player and teacher at McCabe'e Guitar Shop, Denny Croy.

Rondo has 20.5" and 23" scale ukes, both acoustic and solid body, and their return policy is very good. My sweet spot is just under 23" which is not very common so I actually convert short scale electric guitars to mini basses, and recently had a custom made in South Africa for $700 plus $100 shipping. i also prefer Pahoehoe because they have a very smooth finish, where the Aquila Thundergut, Thunder Red and Black tend to be sticky (I heard recently that Aquila recommends wiping them with Windex and a soft cloth). The Pahoehoe are more difficult to install and take a longer time to settle in.

Last edited:
Yes I would have to try to learn how to play the UBass. I would think that there are resources such as YouTube or books or even private lessons.

My point is that what you're wanting to do, is learn how to play BASS. Personally I would take some lessons with a professional bass guitar instructor. This will get you off dead center quickly as to playing the bass instrument. (And one finger per fret is way easier on Ubass than on a full 34" scale Precision!)

Rondo has 20.5" and 23" scale ukes, both acoustic and solid body, and their return policy is very good.

Before this thread I didn't realize that there is a spectrum of scale lengths -- I thought that there was "regular" bass, like the Fender PBass, and UBass. And that the UBass was easier for a lot of people to play because of the shorter scale, essentially analogous to uke vs guitar. I tried guitar long ago and gave up after never getting anywhere with it. After playing my uke for a few months I handled a guitar and thought, holy cow, no wonder the uke is so much easier to play as with the uke I can just get around the fretboard easier due to the small size. That, and the nylon strings are easier to play than metal.

So with that in mind I think I lean towards starting with a shorter scale instrument with non-metal strings, even though the tone may not be exactly optimal.

kohanmike, given that I can't handle the different options how do I tell if, say, a 25" scale is too long? And, if there is something wrong with the electronics on a Hadean will I be able to figure that out pretty quickly and easily within the return window?

Thanks again for the help!

Guitar scale is right around 25" so you can try playing that one note at a time to get an idea if that's what you want.

If you have an amp or recording interface, I think you could tell pretty quick if you were getting output from all the strings mall the frets, etc. and hopefully fairly even response across the strings.

Guitar scale is right around 25" so you can try playing that one note at a time to get an idea if that's what you want.

If you have an amp or recording interface, I think you could tell pretty quick if you were getting output from all the strings mall the frets, etc. and hopefully fairly even response across the strings.

That is good info. I think I can access a guitar and fool around with one-fingering it and see how it feels. I also found a nice diagram on the Cordoba www site for visual comparison.

So essentially three scale lengths (20, 23, 25) and at least 3 different kinds of strings (poly, metal, and metal with poly core).

kohanmike, given that I can't handle the different options how do I tell if, say, a 25" scale is too long?

And, if there is something wrong with the electronics on a Hadean will I be able to figure that out pretty quickly and easily within the return window?Thanks again for the help!

It's hard to say which scale will work for you without trying each. I started with a 23" Gold Tone Microbass, which was fine, then ordered a full custom 22.5" that also was comfortable.

I do find that any of my 20.5" are a little difficult to play at and above the 8th fret because I'm partially handicapped with nerve damage to my neck spinal cord, which forces me to slouch in my chair (and I can't stand for too long either), so I tend to turn the bass slightly towards me in that slouched position, which forces me to turn my hand a little too much.

That is good info. I think I can access a guitar and fool around with one-fingering it and see how it feels.

The 4 bass strings are the same notes as the 3, 4, 5, and 6 guitar strings (G, D, A, E) but an octave lower, so trying that should give you an idea.

It's hard to say which scale will work for you without trying each. I started with a 23" Gold Tone Microbass, which was fine, then ordered a full custom 22.5" that also was comfortable.

I do find that any of my 20.5" are a little difficult to play at and above the 8th fret because I'm partially handicapped with nerve damage to my neck spinal cord, which forces me to slouch in my chair (and I can't stand for too long either), so I tend to turn the bass slightly towards me in that slouched position, which forces me to turn my hand a little too much.

The 4 bass strings are the same notes as the 3, 4, 5, and 6 guitar strings (G, D, A, E) but an octave lower, so trying that should give you an idea.

OK, great info! Thanks again for all of your help.

Just in case anyone is following, here is an update (realizing that with isolation we all, sadly, may have some extra time on our hands, so there might be some interest in this mundane topic) --

I managed to get my hands on a guitar. I think that size would be OK, although one of the things that I really like about the uke is its convenient size makes it so easy to pick up and play regardless of where I'm sitting, on the couch, on the deck, etc. plus it is very easy to transport back and forth from the local uke group. I'm a little concerned about going "too large" and losing some of that convenience. However additional prowling around on the interwebs has uncovered bass players who consider the 23-25" instruments with metal strings to be more versatile than the UBass and that has appeal. Another advantage of one of those instruments, for example the Guild or the Taylor, is that some are available from Elderly Instruments who IIRC is one of the popular dealers here as they do QC checks and setups before shipping. However another twist is I have read that the small scale acoustic basses don't work optimally with "regular" bass amps (like the Fender Rumble series) so I'm digging into that.

If anyone has any additional comments or suggestions please share.

Just in case anyone is following, here is an update (realizing that with isolation we all, sadly, may have some extra time on our hands, so there might be some interest in this mundane topic) --

I managed to get my hands on a guitar. I think that size would be OK, although one of the things that I really like about the uke is its convenient size makes it so easy to pick up and play regardless of where I'm sitting, on the couch, on the deck, etc. plus it is very easy to transport back and forth from the local uke group. I'm a little concerned about going "too large" and losing some of that convenience. However additional prowling around on the interwebs has uncovered bass players who consider the 23-25" instruments with metal strings to be more versatile than the UBass and that has appeal. Another advantage of one of those instruments, for example the Guild or the Taylor, is that some are available from Elderly Instruments who IIRC is one of the popular dealers here as they do QC checks and setups before shipping. However another twist is I have read that the small scale acoustic basses don't work optimally with "regular" bass amps (like the Fender Rumble series) so I'm digging into that.

If anyone has any additional comments or suggestions please share.

Interesting discussion. I just picked up my uke bass after a longish break from it. I've been playing my baritone on a regular basis and even though they're both about the same scale, the baritone fret spacing borders on being too roomy. The bass, I could appreciate a bit more space so I can see where kohanmike is coming from. Probably, if I was a more active bass player, I'd consider one with a bit longer scale, but 20" is okay for my purposes.

I have a cheap Amazon UK Dream, if you're wondering. It's perfectly adequate. Fret edges weren't as smooth as I'd like so I had to file them a bit. I won't endorse it or warn against it, but it's affordable. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom