R.I.P. John Dawson Winter III

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Major Bummer, hadn't heard. I'll be pulling out some old vinyl tonight and toasting his talent

pabrizzer

Yes he was a baritone ukulele player.
I have been listening to his work.
Been thinking about a cover of his Dallas.
Here's to Johnny Winter.

kegmcnabb

One of the first concerts I ever saw had a line-up of Johnny Winter, the Edgar Winter Group, and the James Gang (w/Tommy Bolin). All three were great but Johnny really burned it up.

Oh yeah...the ticket cost a whopping 6 bucks....yeah...I'm old...

lauren85

ust read this on Feb. Sad he has gone, and glad that he was rescued from the abyss for a bfew more years when his end could have been even sadder. Nice piece in classic rock with him and Joe Perry a month or so ago.
His was a talent pretty much ruined by drug abuse but when he was on it in the seventies he was a ferocious player. I only saw him the once at some BBC studio thing and he was in the zone that day although I reckon he was tripping throughout.
Another of the legends leaves us, but the legacy is there. Gone but not forgotten.

Larry D.

One of the Very Best!

Do your self a favor and get Second Winter one of my favorites and I bet it will be yours if you loved Johnny. His rendition of Highway 61 Revisited is a classic!
http://www.amazon.com/Second-Winter...&qid=1411347153&sr=8-1&keywords=second+winter

I was at a B.B. King concert back in the late 60's and The King invited a couple of special friend on stage to jam. What a surprise to see it was Johnny followed by Edgar.

The cops had to actually turn the electric off to get them to quit playing. What a concert that was "jammed" with me and about 200 others in the Natl. Guard Armory in St. Pete, Fl.

The cost $5.00....times sure have changed.....but then gas was 29.9 cents/gal. (and that was high test too) and ukulele's were just toys.

Look at us now!:cool:

Last edited: