Radiusing Top Lower Bout Only Question

agilitydog

Reaction score
Summary: 25' radius, centered at the saddle, everything below the lower waist bar similarly radiused, lower waist and above flat. Spanish heel construction, solera lower bout dished to 25' as above. Would brace gluing order matter?

Problems? Modifications? Find another hobby? Thanks

This works for me: I sand the bridge plate and lower brace (the one below the sound hole) to a 22' radius and glue these two in place with the radius dish in the gobar deck. After this is dry, I then glue the straight upper brace (above the sound hole) in the gobar deck but on the flip side of the radius dish which is flat. The result is a radius in the lower bout and flat upper bout with no gap where the fretboard sits.

I use a workboard that is dished by about 2.5mm from just inside the lower bout linings to the lower transverse brace. The upper bout area is flat.

The bridge plate as well as the two transverse braces are glue in one session followed by the lower tone bars if required

For my builds I vacuum press in my bridge patch and upper and lower transverse braces in one go. The work board is dished out in the lower bout only. and it's flat around the perimeter so that the linings will be sitting on a flat surface. Fan braces are vacuum pressed in during a second session.

Top Bottom