Ratio Tuners Installed

Are they plastic?

Sounds as if they were an easy install? Was it necessary to enlarge the hole for the shaft? Did you need to drill much for the screw holes, or just little pilot holes?

I have a set installed on a 1920 no-name Koa soprano. I had to use a back plate to increase the thickness of the head as the post is 3/4 " long.
I do like the smooth action and the light weight + no ears

I have a set installed on a 1920 no-name Koa soprano. I had to use a back plate to increase the thickness of the head as the post is 3/4 " long.
I do like the smooth action and the light weight + no ears
Any thought on what the minimum headstock thickness would be for a good installation?

Nice install. They look great. I’m curious on if you enlarged the holes for the shafts and furred. Also, the head stock thickness. I gotta try a set of these. Thanks for posting . Looking forward to more….

I’ve put a set of those on my Ohana SK50WG, an otherwise very decent soprano which is disappointingly supplied with guitar-style tuners. No adjustment to the hole size was required, although when replacing guitar-style tuners the GraphTec ones don’t fit or cover all of the screw holes; not a problem if you’re replacing friction pegs, of course. They work beautifully and so far have lasted with no issues or signs of imminent failure.

Something worth looking out for is that the earlier version of these tuners apparently had a longer shaft, so it’s probably a good idea to check that you’re buying recent stock as the older model has a disappointingly high failure rate.

I’ve put a set of those on my Ohana SK50WG, an otherwise very decent soprano which is disappointingly supplied with guitar-style tuners. No adjustment to the hole size was required, although when replacing guitar-style tuners the GraphTec ones don’t fit or cover all of the screw holes; not a problem if you’re replacing friction pegs, of course. They work beautifully and so far have lasted with no issues or signs of imminent failure.

Something worth looking out for is that the earlier version of these tuners apparently had a longer shaft, so it’s probably a good idea to check that you’re buying recent stock as the older model has a disappointingly high failure rate.

Yes, those holes can be annoying, but I still prefer the gears.

As for the old Ratio tuners, I have a set that I'm afraid to use because of possible breakage. I wonder if they actually made any changes in the material.

This Ohana SKB-35 Bell uke came with direct tuning pegs, so I bought a set of Ratio planetary tuners. Installation was a breeze, and tuning is much nicer.
I understand that new mounting screw holes might be required, but like others have asked:

Did you have to ream out the holes or otherwise modify the headstock?

The exact brand/model of the tuners used would also be helpful. (An SK-39 or -39 is still on my radar.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom