Reclaimed Cuban Mahogany.

So if you purchase a Cuban mahogany uke which is specifically described as 'Cuban', based on jupiterukes question then it may not be made from Cuban mahogany.
Is this correct ?

So if you purchase a Cuban mahogany uke which is specifically described as 'Cuban', based on jupiterukes question then it may not be made from Cuban mahogany.
Is this correct ?

If it’s made from reclaimed wood then its description must surely be a matter of informed opinion; some opinion is worth more than others and maybe sometimes opinion presents itself as fact when maybe it should not. If a well known builder says this reclaimed wood is such and such a type then I’d be inclined to accept what they say as being reasonably honest and factual.

If it’s made from new wood then the designation is only as good as the validation and QA chain in place.

So it's the reclamation company or who ever you purchase the reclaimed furniture from who states its origin and it's based on their advise to what you describe it as.

In the case of spruce I would definately agree but as you have said previously mahogany your not sure.

In the case of spruce I would definately agree but as you have said previously mahogany your not sure.
If the time frame of the construction of the furniture matches the widespread use of Cuban mahogany and it is represented as such to Timbuck, I believe that is what you should be assured that it is, even if the certainty is not 100% and there is not "test" for it.

Yes ! ... But what kind of spruce ? :)

As of April 2022, Plants of the World Online accepted 37 species.[22] The grouping is based on Ran et al. (2006).[19]

I am just going to find a Cuban guy to build a mahogany uke for me and I will call it Cuban mahogany

Reclaimed wood don't come with Test Certificates , Letters of conformity or anything. The builder just has to trust the seller description.

Are all sellers worthy of trust? In my experience the bulk of sellers are trustworthy but a small minority are not and sometimes we don’t get the goods or quality we expect - I doubt that I’m alone in that general experience. I suspect that you and other builders check what you’ve received and make informed judgements on what you’ve most probably got.

I try to try each shade of mahogany Ken ships :)
The cubans sounded alike but different from lighter mahagony, sinker mahogany, Koa, spruce and mango.
Ken has a very strong regimented build quality which makes trying different woods an absolute pleasure. I can’t tell spruce from cedar so mahoganies are even far for me. What I feel confident about is what I hear. The cubans Ken Timms shipped a few batches back sound amazing! I can’t wait to see/hear this batch.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people could tell the difference between a Cuban, Honduran or African Mahogany uke?
Visually- and tonally?
I was wondering the same. Pardon my ignorance but why does the geopolitical provenance of mahogany (or that of any other tone wood, for that matter) make any real difference to the end user? In other words, is Cuban mahogany inherently more valuable because it would unquestionably have come from trees harvested many decades ago, per the same sort of historically verifiable chronology as boards of American Chestnut, a subspecies which no longer exists because of the well documented fact that all those majestic, towering native trees were wiped out by a blight between 1920 and 1940?

Last edited:
If you had ten ukuleles made from a mix of various species of mahogany they would all to a good ear sound pretty much the same. If there were differences they would be very subtle and subjective to what one person hears to another.

In general Cuban mahogany does not sound any better or worse than any other mahogany whether that be Cuban, Honduran, Brazilian or African.

For some reason there seems to be a big thing that I have not come across before as regards Cuban mahogany and quite specific with this builder. Can someone tell me why ? Is it because it's a rarer wood regardless of its tonally qualities and that's what people want rarerity means more expensive instrument for collectors.

Cuba is the largest of the Caribbean islands. Perhaps we should call it Big Island Mahogany -

or might that just introduce another layer of confusion?

Top Bottom