Reentrant strings for Koaloha tenor

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
What strings do you like on this instrument (not Opio) for reentrant tuning?

I did some experimenting but didn’t find anything that sounded better than the factory low G strings. I used a micrometer to measure the original diameters: .020”, .022”, .027”, .033”. These are all thinner and lower tension than most fluorocarbon string sets. The brightness of the first and second strings are nicely balanced by the richness of the low G.

I tried replacing the 4th string with .022” and the 2nd string with .024” Seaguar Pink. This made it way too bright and quiet. Then, I upped the diameters to .022, .026, .029, and .022. This was louder but still a bit too bright.

I went back to very close to the original string diameters using Seaguar, and it sounds amazing again. It seems like this instrument is very dependent on the unusual string set. The problem is I’m working mostly on reentrant pieces lately, so I’m having to use my backup tenor.

Did you measure the diameter while they were under tension or before they were installed? Synthetic strings are elastic and get thinner as they are tuned up. I think the manufacturers report gauge before stress is applied. Actually might be interesting to measure just how much diameter of different string types changes when tuned.

I suggest calling KoAloha directly and asking for their recommendation: 808-847-4911

I did some experimenting but didn’t find anything that sounded better than the factory low G strings. I used a micrometer to measure the original diameters: .020”, .022”, .027”, .033”. These are all thinner and lower tension than most fluorocarbon string sets. The brightness of the first and second strings are nicely balanced by the richness of the low G.

I tried replacing the 4th string with .022” and the 2nd string with .024” Seaguar Pink. This made it way too bright and quiet. Then, I upped the diameters to .022, .026, .029, and .022. This was louder but still a bit too bright.

I went back to very close to the original string diameters using Seaguar, and it sounds amazing again. It seems like this instrument is very dependent on the unusual string set. The problem is I’m working mostly on reentrant pieces lately, so I’m having to use my backup tenor.
These are the actual strings that Koaloha has used from the late 1990's until 2020. https://ukesahawaii.com/product/regular-high-g-strings/
Reg-High-G-500.jpeg

I was talking with Pops about his string selection for KoAloha. He told me that in 1995 when he started KoAloha, his goal was to create an ukulele that sounded like a Kamaka. He made his original KoAlohas with a round sound hole and traditional bracing, and he used the black nylon strings that Kamaka used. Pops being Pops was not happy with the sound and wanted to push the envelope to develop a unique sound. The bracing became unibracing and he felt that the nylon strings just were not cutting it for KoAloha. He tried many different string brands and felt that many were good, but none had that quality that would make the KoAloha sing in a unique way. Then his pastor introduced him to a contact in Japan who manufactured fluro carbon fishing line. Pops tried it and it was good but not quite there - but this was the closest. He worked with this company to develop a line of string, different from the fishing line, but had the dual-layer qualities that Pops was looking for. The soft touch outside with a firm inner strength. These strings were custom-made for KoAloha to give them that unique sound. No other string that he tried made his KoAloha ukulele sound as good as they do with these strings. So, you are right when you say, "It seems like this instrument is very dependent on the unusual string set.". You can buy fishing line from this company still, today, but you can only get "close" because the actual strings that Pops uses from this company are custom-made. These strings are only available through ukesahawaii.com.

The UKESA strings are crazy expensive. Are they double length like Worth strings? The dual layer strings sound suspiciously like P-line fluoroclear.

Interesting that, like a few other brands, the same UkeSA string set is sold for all 3 size ukes.
This is just practical. Pops has spools of strings. He, himself, pulls and measures the strings, wraps them himself, puts them in the package, shrinkwraps the package himself and then ships them to me to distribute for him. it is very time-consuming for him and just plain easier to pull one length. there is enough string for a tenor, and therefore enough for a concert and soprano. If strings are wanted for a baritone, that would be a special order and Pops would need to just pull a longer length. We have no idea how other brands do it, but Pops wanted to make these strings available because people keep asking for KoAloha strings. For the longest time, they were not available at all. Pops decided to make them available but not consume most of his time since he, literally, handles all of the packaging himself.

The UKESA strings are crazy expensive. Are they double length like Worth strings? The dual layer strings sound suspiciously like P-line fluoroclear.
If the P-line fluroclear work, that sounds great. And if they are less money, a double victory in getting the sound that most KoAloha owners love. I do not know the company that Pops uses or any specifics on the stings themselves. I only relay what I have been told. I did ask if they are Seaguar Blue or Seaguar Pink because I have seen posts on UU where people suggest that, and I was told they are not. Please note, also that Koaloha as of January 2020 no longer uses these strings. Pops still does with Ukesa, however.

... Please note, also that Koaloha as of January 2020 no longer uses these strings. Pops still does with Ukesa, however.
Wait, what?! So what are stock strings on Koalohas now? They make it sound like they are currently used, even call them "KoAloha/UkeSA Fluoro Carbon Ukulele Strings". And it sounded like they are the same if not exactly the same based on a prior post.
🤔

Wait, what?! So what are stock strings on Koalohas now? They make it sound like they are currently used, even call them "KoAloha/UkeSA Fluoro Carbon Ukulele Strings". And it sounded like they are the same if not exactly the same based on a prior post.
🤔
In the same thread that you copied on your post, I wrote: "I will try my best to answer this question. The Ukesa Strings are the strings that Pops put on ALL KoAlohas from around 1998 forward. In October, 2019, the manufacturer told KoAloha and Ukesa that they would no longer be making ukulele strings available in the USA. KoAloha, beginning in January 2020 went to another manufacturer for similar strings (not Worths) These new strings from Koaloha are not available to the public from any source that we know of. Pops, on the other hand, found a distributor in Japan for the exact same stings he always used and because Ukesa is not high volume in terms of units sold per month, Pops has found himself a steady supply of the strings that he loves for his ukes and has always loved. The new strings for KoAloha are excellent and everyone tells me that they are pretty much the same except for a small difference on the A-string. Those who have KoAlohas from 2020 and forward still report that the Ukesa strings sound amazing on their ukes."

The string set that Pops is selling were used on KoAlohas until January 2020 but are still used on Ukesa. If you call KoAloha they will tell you that the only strings available publicly are the Ukesa strings. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Last edited:
Did you measure the diameter while they were under tension or before they were installed? Synthetic strings are elastic and get thinner as they are tuned up. I think the manufacturers report gauge before stress is applied. Actually might be interesting to measure just how much diameter of different string types changes when tuned.
I measured the current strings before and after installing them. The diameter only changed by 1/1000”, so I think my measurements of the original strings were not significantly skewed by stretching.

The gone fishin' strings also mention the double layer as a feature. I wonder if there are other similarities.

Personally, I think the strings are worth every penny. Pop’s UkeSA Low G set makes my concert KoAloha sing.

I am really curious to know if the opio range from Thailand uses the same strings as those made in Hawaii. They are flourocarbon too.

One thing I noticed with the first string was that the .020” did not lose resonance on the upper frets. The .022 was a bit duller sounding and decayed faster the higher you went.

Last edited:
FYI: The Ukesa/KoAloha guages .023 High G, .036 Low G, .029,.027,.021
Thanks, I’ll give that a try for high G next time. They are mostly on the thin/bright/low tension side, but the second string is relatively thick.

Top Bottom