Review: Aklot AKS21 Solid Mahogany Top Soprano Ukulele

Got the discount code on vipon....
Anyway it arrived today. Solid top, Looks quite good, decent closed tuners. Sounds good. Fret ends just a hair rough but not enough that Ill bother with it. Action height good, good intonation. Has a truss rod. I got the uke and harmonica for $40. For that amount it was a no brainer. Even if I payed $100 Id be happy with it. Not a fan of stringing it up through the body though but its a minor inconvenience.

Wow I don't think they have deals like that for people in Canada. I sure would not bother spending money on strings for this. Just play until the strings wear out and get a new uke may be less hassle. That's what famous bass player Carol Kaye did, never changed strings just got a fresh bass.

I am in Canada. Keep an eye on vipon.com (click Canadian Flag). These Aklot ukes seem to be on there fairly often. If its there you can get a discount code to apply during your amazon.ca order. Like I said, my order went from $104 to $40 tax and shipping included.

My first ukulele is an Aklot concert and it suited my needs quite well right out of the box! Great ukulele brand for total beginners like myself. The "inside the body" string thing created a bit of stress for me when I changed to Martin 600's; luckily I found a great video showing how to access the strings and change them. Holds tuning like a boss and overall a decent little instrument!

I should mention that the only thing that could make the Aklot a bad choice for travel, camping and the like is the solid top, but even if cracks developed from humidity and temperature changes, in my mind it's not a big deal as the cost makes it easy to replace. I'd just buy another!

If you want something for travel, the Enya Nova soprano is on sale on Amazon for $48 in the US and $68 in Canada. Check out Barry's review here: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/11/enya-nova-u-mini-soprano-ukulele-review.html

I've had a couple of Kmise ukes that were very well made for the price (under $50 for an all-solid wood one bought directly from Kmise). Both needed fret dressing, but setup was good on both.

Last edited:
FYI- There's a 50% coupon code on vipon canada for the aklot 8 and 5 string tenor as well as the aklot bamboo tenor. I just tried the coupon code for the bamboo one on amazon.ca and it worked. Worked on the concert bamboo also

FYI- There's a 50% coupon code on vipon canada for the aklot 8 and 5 string tenor as well as the aklot bamboo tenor. I just tried the coupon code for the bamboo one on amazon.ca and it worked. Worked on the concert bamboo also

I am watching the vipon site and all I see is 30% for 8 string and bamboo tenor.

I am watching the vipon site and all I see is 30% for 8 string and bamboo

Still 50% off just done a little differently. On the bamboo tenor for example, its now 27.99 discount code from vipon, plus 18 coupon from amazon, brings the price from $89 to $44 and change, or 50%

Last edited:
I am watching the vipon site and all I see is 30% for 8 string and bamboo

Still 50% off just done a little differently. On the bamboo tenor for example, its now 27.99 discount code from vipon, plus 18 coupon from amazon, brings the price from $89 to $44 and change, or 50%

Today they have the 5 string tenor for 50% off so I ordered one as a gift for a friend who only has a really crappy soprano.

I order an Aklot tenor five string. Good tuners but I would have preferred open back. Solid top mahogany is nice. Sound is good. Great buy for about $80 Canadian to my door. I wanted to try a five string…….at low cost before I spent of a big name five string. I’m glad I did this.

Keep in mind…..I had to file fret ends. Makers marks visible. Neck joint was separating a bit. I pushed in glue with a suction cup and now it’s rock solid. I guess, if you go into these Chinese, lower cost ukuleles and acknowledge you may have to do some work on it……you will be ok.

Mine turned out well. Heck the gig bag made it worth it. Two set of Aquila Super Nylgut strings…….etc.

YMMV but for the price…..pretty good.

I order an Aklot tenor five string. Good tuners but I would have preferred open back. Solid top mahogany is nice. Sound is good. Great buy for about $80 Canadian to my door. I wanted to try a five string…….at low cost before I spent of a big name five string. I’m glad I did this.

Keep in mind…..I had to file fret ends. Makers marks visible. Neck joint was separating a bit. I pushed in glue with a suction cup and now it’s rock solid. I guess, if you go into these Chinese, lower cost ukuleles and acknowledge you may have to do some work on it……you will be ok.

Mine turned out well. Heck the gig bag made it worth it. Two set of Aquila Super Nylgut strings…….etc.

YMMV but for the price…..pretty good.

I paid 44Can all in and my friend is very happy, though I don't think she is doing close inspection for issues like this. It will probably be many months until I will have a chance to check it out. I don't think that a low G super Nylgut exists, so I assume this is a wound string on the uke and in the replacement pack?

Yes, that is correct. Aquila Super Nylgut strings with added would low G. There was a card in the clear packaging saying genuine Aquila strings. I’m happy. I got $7 off coupon but see in this thread, if lucky, you can get 50% off. LOL. Either way, good value. With my filing and word, it’s a player. I’m not a fan of the “bird” bridge, but I can over look that. Haha

Kmise review (same brand as Aklot) by a well-known ukulele reviewer that this brand uses questionable marketing tactics and lied about their product to him. ...
So what? Caveat emptor!!!

Excellent review Farkvam. My 9 year old great-granddaughter (she who must be obeyed) loves the Kmise soprano I gave her. Now she is eyeing my Kanile'a concert. (Nervous sigh)

Last edited:
Top Bottom