Review- aNueNue Blue Arona Concert Ukulele (UC-10)

Nicely done, Vic!
If one adjusts expectations aright-- including, keeps in mind that this is an entry-level instrument, and also that spruce over mahogany will be bright (ie, non-traditional, and... bright)-- I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better value.

Which is a colder way of saying that, all things considered, mine is a delight, and for me one of my best ukulele purchases of ever.

-- I removed the thick picnic-tablecloth-grade 'pick guard' pronto.
-- I buffed the thicker, sometimes gloppy finish to a more even satin
-- I won't go so far as to replace the tuners, they present as Cheap, and that's a shame.
[Tuners: the seams from the mold are prominent, and there is some play in a couple of them-- twisty space before engagement. When I handle the ukulele, I register an "oh, right" over and against the general (and over-riding) Ooooh, la. The tuners aren't bad for the price point, but present a slight betrayal all the same in light of how well everything else comes together.

I bought my UC-10 from HMS, and sprung for the full setup. I was hooked on the look from the get-go, and wanted it to be its best possible self on arrival here on the mainland. HMS delivered in spades; had my AMM2 played as well, it would possibly still be with me. But, aspects of that latter ukulele were different enough, it's hard to say.

I wrote about my UC-10 here on arrival, and remain smitten.

index.php

~ S.

Last edited:
Nicely done, Vic!
If one adjusts expectations aright-- including, keeps in mind that this is an entry-level instrument, and also that spruce over mahogany will be bright (ie, non-traditional, and... bright)-- I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better value.

Which is a colder way of saying that, all things considered, mine is a delight, and for me one of my best ukulele purchases of ever.

-- I won't go so far as to replace the tuners, they present as Cheap, and that's a shame.
[Tuners: the seams from the mold are prominent, and there is some play in a couple of them-- twisty space before engagement. When I handle the ukulele, I register an "oh, right" over and against the general (and over-riding) Ooooh, la. The tuners aren't bad for the price point, but present a slight betrayal all the same in light of how well everything else comes together.

I bought my UC-10 from HMS, and sprung for the full setup. I was hooked on the look from the get-go, and wanted it to be its best possible self on arrival here on the mainland. HMS delivered in spades; had my AMM2 played as well, it would possibly still be with me. But, aspects of that latter ukulele were different enough, it's hard to say.

index.php

~ S.
What was involved in removing the “pickguard?” Thinking about doing it.

Nicely done, Vic!

index.php

~ S.
Actually it was your NUD post about the UC10 that convinced me to get the uke, so my thanks to you! 😊

Do you have a close-up of buffed finish and can you elaborate more on the process? Did you use sandpaper, and if so, what grit?

What was involved in removing the “pickguard?” Thinking about doing it.

Here's what I wrote at the time, which will hold us in better stead than my memory :)--- though I'd now emphasize that I pulled/rolled/tugged/lifted slowly and gently:

The guard on mine was applied poorly, possibly even recently: it wasn't flush with the edge of the upper bout, but actually protruded slightly, especially at the point of that last little 'hook' at the lower right

I simply pinched the protruding part between my thumb and forefinger and gently pulled and rolled the guard up and away, and it slowly came right up. There is zero evidence on the (pristine, painted) surface underneath that it was ever there.

My takeaway: the guard is a misstep on Anuenue's part, primarily in materials. The guard possibly stays put if 1) flush and 2) never tugged, but its adhesive is definitely on the post-it note end of the spectrum (the exposed backside barely sticks to anything now, once removed). I also foresee the edges getting ratty-tatty over time; the material is several layers, and looks like it would delaminate too easily.

Removal: all caveats of course apply: the longer a guard is on a top, the more likely one might develop tan lines, and the guard might prove more challenging to pull off cleanly. (I'm grateful this was so simple, with no heat or Goo Gone, etc. indicated).

-- I haven't scritched the top (yet), but even if/when that happens I'd rather have wear marks than the tablecloth swatch. ;)

~ S.

Actually it was your NUD post about the UC10 that convinced me to get the uke, so my thanks to you! 😊

Do you have a close-up of buffed finish and can you elaborate more on the process? Did you use sandpaper, and if so, what grit?

Aw, I'm glad if I helped (especially since you like yours, too!).

An in-progress shot-- half-n-half-- might have lent some visual clues, but unfortunately I don't have one for you.
With the whole thing done, I can't seem to take a picture that shows other than a mahogany back, ie, any difference.
The effect is mostly tactile and aural*.

*Less sound against clothing, not "wow this thing opened up!" 🙃

I use 0000 steel wool. I believe I used the real deal for this one, but have also used the synthetic version (which sheds less, but which I don't always prefer). 3M Scotchbrite green scrubbers can knock things down more quickly at the start, but the 0000 is safer: you can more easily gauge the effect/desired outcome as you go vs. coming in with the 0000 as a second step only.

Either way, there will be finish dust etc to be wiped off, and I recommend taping the sound hole (and around the fretboard) just in case-- but especially with the steel version, because of all those little flakes in addition to the 'finish dust.'

Slow and steady, a light touch that lets the abrasive do the work vs. hand pressure that could go too deep, etc.*
Clean up with a soft cloth, a damp soft cloth, etc.
The difference isn't dramatic, but dramatically welcome (to my hand and ear).

*This is what one is supposed to advise; I start that way, then go to town once I have my bearings, get bored, etc. :ROFLMAO:

~ S.

Nicely done, Vic!

index.php

~ S.
This is what mine looks like too after removing the cloth “pickguard.”

Thanks for posting this. I really like the way my uke looks now.

I also just ordered a Hawaiian Dream Series C4 from the aNueNue USA website. I was looking for a different wood combination.

This one has a solid cedar top and laminated acacia back and sides. Looking forward to a review and then a comparison between the UC10 and C4.

Stay tuned!

Top Bottom