Review of new Bruce Wei Custom

From your last post showing this uke on order, you know I"m a great fan of Bruce Wei and that style. Congrats Steve. I think that red strip might be Padauk.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

From your last post showing this uke on order, you know I"m a great fan of Bruce Wei and that style. Congrats Steve. I think that red strip might be Padauk.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Thanks for that, I didn’t recognize that wood, I looked it up and I think you’re right!

Thanks for that, I didn’t recognize that wood, I looked it up and I think you’re right!

I contacted Bruce and found out it is Cocobolo wood.

Thanks for sharing that Bruce Wei uke. I have bought several, on auction. A few of them had severe warping issues, probably due to the difference between climates. Nevertheless, two were so badly affected that I had to return them (actually, he simply refunded payment). Still, one of my favorites and most beautiful is a long neck soprano. It seems to get better sounding over the years.

Thanks for sharing that Bruce Wei uke. I have bought several, on auction. A few of them had severe warping issues, probably due to the difference between climates. Nevertheless, two were so badly affected that I had to return them (actually, he simply refunded payment). Still, one of my favorites and most beautiful is a long neck soprano. It seems to get better sounding over the years.
That’s interesting info. I had read older reviews, 6-7 years and that seemed to be compliant. I haven’t seen that as a complaint in his recent instruments. I’ve had my first for a year and no issues other than having a fret filed. Climate change was a big concern for me. I contacted him and he assured me he used only properly dried wood to help prevent damage from humidity changes. That being said, if you’re in a dry climate you have to remember they come out of a very humid climate so you have to let them settle down slowly. I keep mine at 65-70 degrees and 42-52% humidity. So no problems (yet!). They both sound gorgeous. My first one with a spruce top really opened up over the year. Hoping the same for my Acacia, although it sounds great right now.

Steve,

Nice. Will have to post pics of my B Wei sometime. My favorite thing is the empty spare peghead. The shape alone is the
Steve,

Nice. Will have to post pics of my B Wei sometime. My favorite thing is the empty spare peghead. The shape alone is the art.
CANT wait to see it! If you’re on FB I started a group “Bruce Wei Instrument owners club” if you’re interested. I’d like to get people together to share information on their instruments.

So how do you order these custom instruments? I can only find the online stores where they sell large numbers of cheap inlaid instruments similar to Antonio Tsai and Sam Taisamlu companies.

So how do you order these custom instruments? I can only find the online stores where they sell large numbers of cheap inlaid instruments similar to Antonio Tsai and Sam Taisamlu companies.
If you’re interested in a Bruce Wei you can contact him at bruceweiguitar@yahoo.com.tw he’s very honest, easy to work with and will draw up your design.

Here is the link to Steve's Bruce Wei Facebook page and a link to Bruce Wei's own Facebook page.
Steve's page
Bruce's page

Anyone who has a Bruce Wei instrument and is interested, I started a FB Group specifically to share tips, concerns, likes, etc on their BW product.

I found Bruce Wei originally on Ebay, where I bought several of his ukuleles. Now, I see him on Etsy. There they appear to be finer instruments and not ones that get bid on. The one that I kept has seemed to sound better over time, and recently I started playing it more.

Top Bottom