Review of new Bruce Wei Custom

Steve Rodgers

I found Bruce Wei originally on Ebay, where I bought several of his ukuleles. Now, I see him on Etsy. There they appear to be finer instruments and not ones that get bid on. The one that I kept has seemed to sound better over time, and recently I started playing it more.
I found Bruce Wei originally on Ebay, where I bought several of his ukuleles. Now, I see him on Etsy. There they appear to be finer instruments and not ones that get bid on. The one that I kept has seemed to sound better over time, and recently I started playing it more.
If you’re interested I stated a group on FB, hoping to get people to join so we can discuss our likes, dislikes, concerns, experiences with our Bruce Wei instruments.

Steve Rodgers

A response from KohanMike on a different thread.
“There's a big difference between Bruce's custom made and the ready made old ones sold through his eBay store, in some cases those were made by other builders that Bruce allowed to sell from his store. He told me a few years ago that he stopped doing that because it gave him a bad reputation. I've had a number of his customs over the last eight years and all have been made very well.”

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
Update on that custom bass uke from Bruce after I saw that Rondo had their Hadean violin Hofner style on sale for $199. I realized that even with mods that I'll have done, it will be a lot less costly, like instead of about $1400, it will be about $600. So I went for it. Brought it over to Eric's Guitar, Van Nuys, CA (in Sound City) to do the mods, replacing the floating bridge with a fully adjustable fixed metal piezo bridge and an on/off slide switch for the battery, then will take it to Pat Wilkins to do the teal top paint. To make it look different from the Hadean violin sunburst I already have, I removed the pickguard and tailpiece, and will add a fake round sound hole. Will also use Kala/Galli flat wounds.

Hadean blk to teal mod.jpgHadean violin 800.jpg

bbkobabe

Those BruceWeiArts ukuleles on eBay just keep going 'round and 'round, as Chuck Berry would say... they seem to put them on very short auction cycles so that they constantly appear on either the JUST POSTED or ENDING SOON lists...

The 8 or so currently posted have been on there all summer long... If you've ever wanted a ukulele with an inlay of a bikini girl holding a surfboard, this is your chance!

But here is why it pays to keep watching: Every so often they post something - with no reserve - that sells really cheap: There was a concert posted about 2 months ago that sold for under $200...still regretting missing that one... and I got my travel tenor for $340* last summer. They just seem to get tired of certain ukes and sell them cheap so they don't have to look at them anymore!

My BWA is really a bit magical, actually... See my review for details...

And here's a thought: Lot's of us don't do facebook... maybe we start a BWA appreciation thread right here on UU?

* Add about $100 for shipping and international customs charges... My $340 purchase price totaled $444 for me... buyer beware!

Last edited:

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
...And here's a thought: Lot's of us don't do facebook... maybe we start a BWA appreciation thread right here on UU?...
I actually stopped going to the Facebook group UBass Freaks because I just couldn't take the cumbersome Facebook interface anymore. A real forum like this or Talk Bass is so much better. Next; seems that these various threads about Bruce Wei suffice pretty well.