RISA Stick Soprano VS Concert VS Tenor

dmecha1012

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a RISA Solid (Stick).
Other than for "size" reasons alone, why would I choose one size over another? Is there any difference in how they “sound”? (As there is with acoustic built Ukuleles)
As far as transport.... they are all tiny and fit in a carry-on.
So if there is in fact, no difference in sound, then what justifies choosing one size over another? (They only step up 1 inch per size…………. very small difference...would that really affect playability?)
Any Thoughts or advise?

Yes, the distance between frets makes a big difference to playability. ;)

Buy the 'scale' that you like to play. :)

EDIT: If you don't already have a uke, I always suggest concert scale, unless you are used to another stringed instrument.

Last edited:
Are you getting it for practicing or playing (plugged in)? Either way, as croaky keith suggested, get the size you normally play.

If you play all three sizes, get the size you want to travel with.

I play tenor exclusively. But to travel, I bought a concert size. I don't regret it, but it really takes time to get used to it.

Good luck!

Yes, the distance between frets makes a big difference to playability. ;)

Buy the 'scale' that you like to play. :)

EDIT: If you don't already have a uke, I always suggest concert scale, unless you are used to another stringed instrument.

Maybe with acoustic Ukes..... yes; there is a 3 inch increase from Soprano to Concert, and another 3" to Tenor. But the Risa has only a ONE inch difference between sizes. (Negligible.) In fact, The Tenor Risa is arguably shorter than the Regular "acoustic" Soprano.

The main question then would be........Do they SOUND any different? (as acoustic Ukulele sizes usually do)

Maybe with acoustic Ukes..... yes; there is a 3 inch increase from Soprano to Concert, and another 3" to Tenor. But the Risa has only a ONE inch difference between sizes. (Negligible.) In fact, The Tenor Risa is arguably shorter than the Regular "acoustic" Soprano.

The main question then would be........Do they SOUND any different? (as acoustic Ukulele sizes usually do)

The difference in scale length will change the string dynamics.

Greater string tension will be more a factor in tone than anything else on the RISA stick ukes.

For example, using a set of strings that are "one size fits all" like the Oasis fluorocarbon BRIGHT re-entrant set, you will have about 25 lbs of string tension on a soprano, about 35 lbs of string tension on concert, and about 43 lbs of string tension on tenor.

Greater string tension, will proportionally allow for less sustain, but greater attack and volume.

The under-saddle rod-piezo pickup in the RISA stick ukes is likely going to respond to the string tension as per above, just like a similar pickup would in an acoustic uke.

Aside from these criteria, the type of material, and diameters of the strings, will do way more for changing the sound coming out of the all-solid stick uke than it might for an acoustic uke that has a resonating chamber, which that chamber and the specific build of the instrument will dictate the sound.

The RISA has no sound-box, so the sound you get is really only from the way that the strings vibrate down on the saddle, and then in turn what the saddle vibrates down on to the piezo pickup.

OK then - I have both the tenor & the concert scale versions - they sound almost exactly the same, which is no surprise as they have no sound box.
When plugged in, it will be the same, both will sound almost exactly the same. The difference will come from what amp you use.

Overall lengths of these instruments don't make much difference, tenor is 2" longer than concert, (& I think the soprano is the same length as the concert).
The strings on them will not make much difference compared to an acoustic - & you have the same pickup in them all.

P.S. The tenor is 21" long - the same length as a regular soprano.

Last edited:
For me, the concert was the compromise size. Had a soprano and sold it (big mistake). Was also trying to choose between a concert and tenor and settled on a concert. The couple-of-inches difference in overall length was the deciding factor.

My RISA is a "suitcase uke." It often goes with me when I travel. The concert size (length-wise) fits well in every suitcase and carry-on. Within the RISA's bag I keep a small tuner, a battery-powered amp and its cord, and an extra packet of strings. The entire package is fairly flat as well, and the weight is small.

Due to its convenient size have taken the RISA on cruises. It's a neat addition to lounging in a deck chair while watching the waves.

Last edited:
AHHHH :) Now those were all good and informative answers. Thank You so much!

Conclusion: Sound - Maybe some "slight" difference due to string tension.
Playability - Virtually no difference.
Transport - Soprano and Concert are perfect. Even the Tenor possibly, depending on . Suitcase size.
Looks - A subjective choice based on woods.
Tuning - Now "There" we have a strong subjective difference.
Price - "Irrelevant" ..............and virtually negligible anyway

So, it looks like I will decide based on Wood Type, and desired tuning.
( I will assume that all are Airplane Friendly.) I will decide very very shortly. . I will let you guys know. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom