Romeo creations ST Concert - Spruce Top: First Impressions & Question

Gypsyuke

Reaction score
One of the few for sale online arrived Thursday. What everyone has been saying is true: its sound is as beautiful as it looks! Everything about it, from the finish to the tuners, seems to be perfect. And I love its full, rich sound which seems louder than what other concerts I have played.

My problem is the tension of the strings because I have small, old hands.
Though I didn’t realize that the Concert scale is strung with Tenor strings
(Pepe Romero UT2), I thought I could change them so I ordered Concert Worth Browns and Living Waters’ strings. I prefer loose strings even if they are a little floppy. And I thought that if I used strings from the next build down (soprano or concert?) there would be less tension. So I have 2 questions:
(1) Why was the Concert scale strung with Tenor strings?
(2) Bigger Question: The strings seem to disappear into the bridge (?) So how do I change the strings??
I’ll try to post a photo of the Bridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 37
Here is the string change video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4uVg-wJGE

It can be a little tricky, but works well. I haven't had a Romero, but had another uke or two like this at one time. I like to tie the string onto a bead rather than just make a knot.

Going to lighter gauge strings will indeed help.. Just be aware of how the manufacturers mark their strings as it varies. You just want to find something smaller in gauge to what you have now.
I'm not sure what version of Worth you got, but the BL would be the lightest strings they make I think. I have no experience with Living Waters, so can't comment on them.

Thanks for The video link which I overlooked. Looks easy. I also called Romero creations and they said that it was strung with Pepe Romero soprano/concert strings.

Use lighter gauge strings for less tension. Don't worry too much about the labels for which size. One brand's concert string is literally another brand's tenor string, or one's g string is used for an a in another setting etc.

Enjoy your new instrument, you picked a great one!

I have solid top, Tiny tenor with laminate mahogany sides. String thru bridge is my favourite and I have all types except pin bridge in tenors. I used beads to tie at first, then got some tie blocks. You just loose the string thru the block and you are done. It allows me to change a string it I want. A bead can do same thing, these tie blocks are just easier. Hands down, string Thur is my favourite bridge and string changes are easy one you get on to it. I have a notch bridge which is easy. I have tie bridge which are easy! It’s all preference.

So far, I have found Fremont Blackline Fluorocarbon strings to be the bendy-est on my tenors. As a result, they are also the easiest on my fingers. Don't know if that will hold true for concert scale.

I also find Living Waters Fluorocarbons to be pretty easy on my hands to play. Again, I only have tenors.

This does mean you have to tune them more often because they stretch. And, they are not as loud as some. But they are really chimey and musical. Very guitar-ish.

I honestly don't have a preference between bridge styles. After you change strings a couple of times with each type, they all become pretty easy. Some a little more fiddly, but certainly not difficult.

Not familiar with Tie Blocks or where to find them?

Sorry, not good at links in these message. I use two types. Rosette Diamond string beads. On amazon or on Rosette own site. Google it and it will come up. They are not beads as name suggest but blocks that you weave string thru and it locks itself. No knots to tie. Brilliant.

String by Mail , offer String Ties, set of four for ukulele is $17.51. Yes, expensive but they work so well, I have two sets of these and one set of the Diamond version by Rosetta guitar products. If you have a string thru bridge, you will love these.

I use the string ties from strings by Mail even on my ties block. I can tie no problem, but these as just so easy and fast. Best accessory I have purchased for ukulele, no exception.

Hope this helps. If you can’t find, I’ll ask my son to help me do a link for you. LOL

Thanks for The video link which I overlooked. Looks easy. I also called Romero creations and they said that it was strung with Pepe Romero soprano/concert strings.

It is strange that their website as well as the dealers state that it uses the low-G tenor set, but give you different information on phone. Anyway, the thicker tenor strings would be more floppy on a shorter scale, particularly the low G. If that one sounds nice and crisp you should be ok. I find these ukes very weird, combining a bigger body with a shorter scale, and find it more desirable in terms of sound and playing comfort to combine a smaller body with longer scale. So a concert scale is very nice, but rather have that with a soprano body than a tenor body. Romeros seem to appeal to people who want mini-guitars rather than ukes. But hey it's sure great to have variety that suit everyone's different desires.

OK, this is where I get confused. if using thicker strings (tenor) on a concert scale produces floppier strings, i.e., less tension; then what does Rakelele mean by saying that lighter strings (I assume “thinner”) produces less tension?

OK, this is where I get confused. if using thicker strings (tenor) on a concert scale produces floppier strings, i.e., less tension; then what does Rakelele mean by saying that lighter strings (I assume “thinner”) produces less tension?

Sorry, yes this is confusing and not very straightforward. The thickness is actually not a good indicator for ukuleles, as ukulele strings are elastic and when they get stretched their diameter changes. There was a good thread last year that explained that is actually the mass (weight) and density of the strings that is important. That's why for the low G strings they add metal e.g. as a silver winding or copper powder (aquila reds) to make them heavier to accomplish low tones even if they are not very thick. This was the thread last year:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...quila-New-Nylgut&highlight=tension+calculator

D'Addario also has a cool website where you can actually calculate the tension for different types of strings and instruments. Though of course it works best with their strings and has some limitations for generic entries:

http://stringtensionpro.com/

Another factors for playing comfort is also setup. If strings have higher tension you can set them up with lower action, which may feel better for some player as well. With lower tension there is a higher chance for buzzing and slight bending of strings.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your helpful input! It appears that in a very broad and general sense the thicker they are the greater the tension but only if you’re comparing Flora carbon with Flora carbon strings etc., but not Flora carbon with nylon. Comparing VISUALLY A set of Pepe Romero UT2 (Tenor) with the strings on my ST Concert, they appear to be the same. The Fremont Blackline tenor fluorocarbons also visually appear to be the same thickness except for of course the low G which is wound on my ST Concert. Some of the brown worth Tenor strings (BT-LG) appear to be slightly thinner.
I think there is some kind of a gauge tool that would provide a more accurate comparison. anyone know where I can find one?
Because I love the sound of my Romero creations ST Concert i’m NOT Going to change the strings at least not for now.

P.S: I did get it that it is primarily about density and weight.

I'm having the same question in my mind - which set to get for my ST Concert.
I still have a few sets that I bought to try out, but I find a higher tension set of strings works better for me.
I have bought tenor strings (Aquilas, but have to check which ones) and they work for now (after taking weeks to settle in), but I'd like to try it with higher tension strings...
Will keep you posted...

Top Bottom