Romero Creatons S-M Signature Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I think it’s nice—and unusual—when builders innovate for the soprano size. If you don’t like to play tenors and you want the tenor sound, this would be great. I’m with you regarding reentrant tuning, but I have one uke devoted to it, plus a baritone. If I didn’t have that uke already I’d be clamoring for this in concert size. Romero makes some very nice ukes, well worth their moderate price. I wish I could hear it without the low g.

I love mine! Of course, I'm a tenor girl... 😁 I do think high g would sound really well too, but since the uke sounds more concert or tenor-like, it can handle the low g.

This ukulele would be great for my girlfriend. She has small hands and has a hard time stretching to play some chord inversions and progressions on bigger scale ukuleles so she only plays sopranos. This ukulele would give her a bigger sound with the same playability as a soprano.

For people with bigger hands, I think the Tiny Tenor and other Romero models with bigger scales and deeper bodies and shorter overall lengths are great travel instruments or even for playing at local uke groups without have to worry about a tenor ukulele bumping into the people next to you.

Last edited:
This ukulele would be great for my girlfriend. She has small hands and has a hard time playing some stretching to play some chord inversions and progressions on bigger scale ukuleles so she only plays sopranos. This ukulele would give her a bigger sound with the same playability as a soprano.

For people with bigger hands, I think the Tiny Tenor and other Romero models with bigger scales and deeper bodies and shorter overall lengths are great travel instruments or even for playing at local uke groups without have to worry about a tenor ukulele bumping into the people next to you.
This would probably be a very good uke for your girlfriend. The sound quality is excellent.

I really enjoyed this review. Have a nice rest, Baz!
(I might have to go browse the Romero website)

Nice review and sound sample. I think the point with Romero Creations, staring with the TT was getting something different And more sound out of a smaller package. I like the quirky headstock. I was lucky to get my TT sold spruce top, from HMS for $259.00 USD with case when they first came out and it had a walnut fretboard. Set up really nice but still, I did some filing. I’d like to try the other sizes. I think grand tenor started this type of look. I’ve never been a soprano guy but can see how purist might look at this differently. I like it. I’d probably want a grant tenor but would love to play the soprano and concert in this range. As always, thanks for sharing the reviews.

Very nicely made and nice sounding uke, but not to my personal taste on concept or looks

They're funny things, the Romero Creations ukuleles, for me... I've had two of them (Signature Concert, and the STC), and sold both -- they're beautiful instruments, and they sound wonderful, but both left me feeling a little bit hollow at the end of the day... just could not fall for either.

Very nicely made and nice sounding uke, but not to my personal taste on concept or looks

Another great review! I have both a soprano and concert and plan to keep them. The soprano with re-entrant tuning doesn't sound like any other soprano, but it sounds a lot better than many concerts I have owned. As Alex at SUS says "The brand is one of my favorites...the soprano enlarged lower bout and very deep sides giving amazing depth and power.." The concert with the low G is almost sounding like a tenor - but not quite. The concert is the one Corey from HMS played and then laughed and said "That's cheating" meaning it sounded more like a tenor than a concert.

Neither of these are my daily go-to ukes, but I do play them now and then. As JMAP wrote, they are "beautiful instruments and they sound wonderful...could not fall for either." I think Barry and he feel about the same. In some ways they're special instruments with a special sound. I like that.

Another great review! I have both a soprano and concert and plan to keep them. The soprano with re-entrant tuning doesn't sound like any other soprano, but it sounds a lot better than many concerts I have owned. As Alex at SUS says "The brand is one of my favorites...the soprano enlarged lower bout and very deep sides giving amazing depth and power.." The concert with the low G is almost sounding like a tenor - but not quite. The concert is the one Corey from HMS played and then laughed and said "That's cheating" meaning it sounded more like a tenor than a concert.

Neither of these are my daily go-to ukes, but I do play them now and then. As JMAP wrote, they are "beautiful instruments and they sound wonderful...could not fall for either." I think Barry and he feel about the same. In some ways they're special instruments with a special sound. I like that.
100% -- depending on the style of music you play, if you want a ukulele that sounds amazing in low-g tuning, they're hard to beat -- incredible build quality and tone...

Another great review! I have both a soprano and concert and plan to keep them. The soprano with re-entrant tuning doesn't sound like any other soprano, but it sounds a lot better than many concerts I have owned. As Alex at SUS says "The brand is one of my favorites...the soprano enlarged lower bout and very deep sides giving amazing depth and power.." The concert with the low G is almost sounding like a tenor - but not quite. The concert is the one Corey from HMS played and then laughed and said "That's cheating" meaning it sounded more like a tenor than a concert..... In some ways they're special instruments with a special sound. I like that.
I agree, they are special instruments. Kudos to Romero for going outside the box and designing great sounding instruments that are a little "different."

I still think it should be rated a little higher, Baz. At least in the 9s.The 8 score for appearance is rather subjective as it really is a beautiful looking uke, aside from the shortened headstock. Just different from what one would expect of a soprano.

Last edited:
Top Bottom