Rondo Said No No

BadMonk

Reaction score
Having sold a couple ukes, I started getting into bass uke. Got myself an Ohana while keeping an eye on Rondo for a solid body with big fat strings. All I've been seeing on the site was a blue bass...meh. So, I wrote and asked if they're bringing back other models. They said whatever is on the website is the end of solid body bass ukes. According to Rondo, there's not enough interest because everyone wants hollow body bass ukes.

Dang it!! I should have bought when I should have.

Well, that just stinks.

I am surprised. A few weeks ago I emailed them about the short version solid body natural and was told more are on order to arrive in a couple of months. The solid bodies seem to sell out sooner than the acoustic. Very similar ones are on AliExpress.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, kohanmike. When I saw that I had email from Rondo, I was like "yeah"...then "nooo." I was (am) set to purchase and actually probably like the one you're describing.

I haven't looked on AliExpress though. Will have to take a look. Do you have any experience with the basses on AliE?

Do you have any experience with the basses on AliE?

In many cases they all come from a couple of manufacturers in China. I bought an AliExpress one a number of years ago and found it to be equal to the ones I got from Rondo. I chose it because it had a skunk stripe and I had it modified to look like a Rickenbacker walnut. I also bought another a couple of years ago, kept it all natural, but sold it because I had a couple of other naturals. Here is a link I just found for one on AliExpress, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...02&&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22scene%22%3A%2223416%22%7D

Mosso before 700.jpg

Ukenbacker done 700.jpg

Thanks for the link to the AliExpress bass. I took time to roam the site and was happy to see so many solid body bass ukes there! I had no idea...probably due to the fact that it was my first time the AliExpress. Yes, I was one of a handful of creatures on the planet who had never been on the site. :) I appreciate that you shared your experience. It helps me from blindly wandering about looking at bass ukes...nothing wrong with that until I'm spending. :D

I'm keen on a Mahalo too. While I am a tinkerer, I'm not up for tinkering on a bass right now due to time. Speaking of tinkering, that Rick is incredible. Fantastic work, just wow!

There are a lot of interesting solid body bass ukes on AliExpress. The prices are inexpensive but still a range from a little over 100 to around 300. Lots of choices.

I contacted Kurt at Rondo a couple of weeks ago, he said they haven't been able to get any solid bodies for over nine months, but did not say they will stop importing them. Obviously they still exist in China, so maybe it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, I ordered two solid bodies from AliExpress, a cherry burst burl for $236.52, and the same one as I posted earlier for $262.80. I'll change the strings to Kala/Galli flatwound, and will also change the bridge to the fully adjustable all metal piezo when they're back in stock.

242377777_1760273894168606_3161495257658472841_n.jpg

piezo Black adjustable bass bridge.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom