Routing rosette channels

Island Jim

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting a clean cut when routing my rosette channels in spruce. I'm using my dremel with a 'stew mac' guide and a spiral 2.5 mm bit. The results have been disappointing with some minor tear out and fuzzy edges. Can anyone recommend a different bit or technique that could help?

IMG_1886.jpg

Thanks for the tip, the bit is new but that doesn't mean it's sharp, I will try the shellac.

Thanks for the tip, the bit is new but that doesn't mean it's sharp, I will try the shellac.
Absolutely shellac will cure your problem. Half pound cut work great or just use the stuff out of the can. Couple coats and you are good to go. Also always use before cutting binding ledges.

dae1b4e8-0d2f-450d-b540-981eb3c68c21_1.dbeeae859f11a61b17773093dd116ae4.jpeg

Also, don't try and cut the full depth in one pass. Just and so cut through the surface all round, then adjust depth and go again. Alternatively, cut the circle with a blade before routing.

I'm having trouble getting a clean cut when routing my rosette channels in spruce. I'm using my dremel with a 'stew mac' guide and a spiral 2.5 mm bit. The results have been disappointing with some minor tear out and fuzzy edges. Can anyone recommend a different bit or technique that could help?

View attachment 146678
I agree and recommend the use of shellac and a shallow primary cut for a first pass. You should also be using a spiral "downcut" bit, carbide if you can afford it (it will stay sharp and last longer). Whilst I've never cut a rosette, I do furniture inlay work, sometimes on highly figured wood. I've found that the downcut made a world of difference in the clean-ness of cut.

EDIT: From the StewMac description on the bits they sell:

"Downcut Bits cut a very clean top edge of the rout with some fuzz around the bottom. These are perfect for jobs like cutting purflings and soundhole rosettes on softer woods like spruce and mahogany. We also use them for cutting inlay routs where you want a clean top edge with less possibility of grain tear out."

View attachment 146678
You're a brave man! I know my limitations, and I often push the limits, but rosettes and inlays are beyond me. It looks so simple when people do those things online.

You've gotten some great advice. The shellac never occurred to me, although I have used painter's tape when drilling.

In addition to shellac, I also cut the channel a little undersized, and then make a final cut to width removing only 1/32" of diameter. (My router base makes this easy) I cut the full depth (which after all is not much). The final cut should also be a 'climb cut', clockwise for the inner edge, counter-clockwise for the outer edge.

Thank you all for the advice. I tried the shellac yesterday and it helped but they are still not as clean as I want. I just ordered a downcut bit and with that and some careful use of the router I hope to get the precision I'm looking for. I will forget about inlays until I get my act together!

Thank you all for the advice. I tried the shellac yesterday and it helped but they are still not as clean as I want. I just ordered a downcut bit and with that and some careful use of the router I hope to get the precision I'm looking for. I will forget about inlays until I get my act together!
Good luck. FWIW, I went to the StewMac site again and noticed two other suggestions on a related topic (cutting inlays). "Go slow" was the first, and second, don't go any deeper than the diameter of the bit. The latter seems kind of counter to what we've suggested here, especially if you're using a 1/8" bit !! I think that maybe for more the tiny bits used to clean corners of fine inlays. Regardless, starting with a cleaning, shallow cut in the first pass, maybe a third at a time.

I'm finding out your right about the Dremel, I have a small router that I have used for bindings and purfling, I need to make a new base plate then I can use it for rosettes. I will save the dremel for inlays if I ever get that far.

I never found that shellac did much in training to achieve a clean, crisp cut. I do smear on medium ca glue around the rosette when working with softer woods like spruce. It’s most important though to have a good sharp bit. I use a 1/4” straight carbide bit in a laminate trimmer and I and I rout the depth all in one pass.

Top Bottom