saddle slots

tonyturley

Reaction score
I recently purchased a few sets of bone nuts & saddles for current projects. Nuts are 38mm, which is what I wanted, but the saddles are the thinnest I've ever seen. Thicker than 1/16" but less than 3/32", they come in at .076", or 1.93mm. I have no bit or blade that will cut a slot that size - the SM fret slot blade is .023". All of my router downcut bits are larger. Any idea what I can use to cleanly cut a slot that size?

The answer to your problem is simple: Grasp the saddle between your thumb and forefinger and walk over to the nearest trash receptacle (a dust bin to the Brits and a garbage can to the Yanks) and deposit it. Next, order yourself some properly sized bone saddles and proceed as usual. Sometimes you just have to throw stuff away.

While I use 3/32" saddles, I have had to make thinner slots for repairs. For thin saddle slots I use 5 1/2" -6 1/2" skill saw type blades on my tablesaw. You can find blades that will cut just over 1/16". Some veneer saw blades that have lots of teeth and no set are also very thin kerf. You can also get machinist's slotting blades in any thickness you want, but they are pricey. I use them for my .023 fret slots.-Bob

I have 1.5mm bits that fit in the dremel - I stick the bridge to a surface with a little double sided or similar, put a sheet of something thats about the same thickness down next to it and set up a fence. Once you've made the first cut find a scrap of veneer you can thin down to the .4mm or whatever is required, sandwich it between the fence and the router base and take the second pass. Works pretty well, sometimes I like delicate saddles.

My saddles are 1/16 inch thick ..the bridge slots are simple to cut...I used to hold them vertical and slot them with the bandsaw but now I use the lathe.

You could use CA glue to join 2 together and then sand to back to desired thickness.
Miguel

My saddles are 1/16 inch thick ..the bridge slots are simple to cut...I used to hold them vertical and slot them with the bandsaw but now I use the lathe.

Ken,
Wish I lived down the block from you, with the exception of your weather. I really like seeing the machinist side of your work. Luckily I have a power cross feed though!

Top Bottom