Scale length & fret spacing comparisons from soprano to baritone

Sporky

Reaction score
[EDIT: Scroll down for comparative images of scales]

Hola, earlier I made this plot relating scale length to fret spacing all the way up the fretboard, to compare the playability of different ukulele sizes. Basically it tells me that capo'ing a DGBE 20 inch baritone scale at the 5th fret leaves almost the same GCEA fret spacing as a 17 inch tenor. Enjoy this masterpiece!

fretspacing.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed1
this is definitely a case of TMI for me but I really like the graph itself. It reminds me of the spirograph I used to have as a kid. I liked sitting at the kitchen table and making those designs.

This is a great chart, and yes, it is a masterpiece. With some hand problems, my interest in it is at the lower end; that is the first five frets. I find that certain positions are easier for me with 13.5 inch soprano than a 14 inch soprano length. Yes, that small change made a difference in comfort.

If you have the time could you post an enlargement with the fret number x-axis just going up to about 6 which should put the y-axis distance from nut to about 6. (Or, could you pm me with the data and program you used to create it if that's easier)

Yes, I could always measure the frets on my ukes, but seeing/plotting the graph and having the info for future use would be of interest to me. Thanks again.

This is a great chart, and yes, it is a masterpiece. With some hand problems, my interest in it is at the lower end; that is the first five frets. I find that certain positions are easier for me with 13.5 inch soprano than a 14 inch soprano length. Yes, that small change made a difference in comfort.

If you have the time could you post an enlargement with the fret number x-axis just going up to about 6 which should put the y-axis distance from nut to about 6. (Or, could you pm me with the data and program you used to create it if that's easier)

Yes, I could always measure the frets on my ukes, but seeing/plotting the graph and having the info for future use would be of interest to me. Thanks again.
Sure thing 👍 which scale lengths do you want? 13 through 20 or less?
By the way I used the StewMac calculator to get the measurements. It was a bit laborious but less overkill than calculating the spaces myself it seemed. However @Bill1 is making me want to do that if I ever have too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
Sure thing 👍 which scale lengths do you want? 13 through 20 or less?
By the way I used the StewMac calculator to get the measurements. It was a bit laborious but less overkill than calculating the spaces myself it seemed. However @Bill1 is making me want to do that if I ever have too much time on my hands.
I'm most interested in 13 through 16. If others are interested, then perhaps going through 18 is a good idea. Thanks again.

Its just a calculation. Once you set up the equation in a spreadsheet platform, you can make the computer do all the work. The Equal Temperament equation is a relatively simple exponential equation. It has a factor of 1/12 and 2, 1/12 to divide the scale into 12 equally spaced notes, and 2 for the octave interval ratio of 2:1. If you understand that, then the equation becomes relatively simple exponential algebra.

The Rule of 18 (or 17.82) is even easier to set up in a spreadsheet. (https://artsintegration.com/2017/05/01/rule-18-nothing-fret/ ).

So many makers get flummoxed when they see an exponential equation or maths. They see the math and not the relatively simple concept of a Temperament. If you show them how to make the table, and how to create the spread sheet, you will be helping them a lot more than you would by just giving them the tables. The rule of 18 math is very simple, its not hard to make a table in a note book using a calculator, some makers just need to be trained in how to do it. The equations in the Equal Temperament look daunting, but with a modern spreadsheet platform, they are not much harder than using a calculator. Once they have done it a few times, they will realise that it is not hard. For the hardcore old school makers who refuse to use computers, show them how to make the table in their notebook using a slide rule, thats not all that hard either.
Thanks for this Bill1. Although Sporky's graphs are helpful and intersting, I think I'll use your info to set up a chart to help me figure out the exact distances between frets for various soprano overall string lengths.

Ahh! I'm just happily surprised that someone was interested, and pleased to have learned something myself.

I decided to experiment further! This time I calculated the fret distances from the equal temperament exponential and produced scaled images of scales 🙃
If you want to print them out, you can calibrate using the "5" and "10" labels which are inches from the nut; also, the 12th fret is right in the middle of the scale so for example in baritone it's at 10 inches.
The bold lines are 5th and 10th frets. I'm including all of the individual scale images too.

Each scale is 30mm tall to represent string spacing at the nut (rather than fretboard width) but that doesn't really mean anything since there's no widening toward the saddle.

scales.png

Attachments

• 14blank.png
    14blank.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 16blank.png
    16blank.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 18blank.png
    18blank.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 2
  • baritoneblank.png
    baritoneblank.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 19blank.png
    19blank.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 2
  • baritonelabel.png
    baritonelabel.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 4
  • concertblank.png
    concertblank.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 2
  • sopranoblank.png
    sopranoblank.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 2
  • sopranolabel.png
    sopranolabel.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks for this Sporky. Visualizing the relative distances of different string lengths at different frets is interesting.

Top Bottom