Scuffs on a brand new Koaloha KTM-25?

I think you've reached the right conclusion. Something much better will turn up and you won't have that pit of disappointment when you open the case. Have faith cuz it will work out in the end if you keep your eyes and ears open.

You may want to contact one or more of the trusted dealers who are often mentioned in the Forum and tell them what you're looking for. They may have access to one. You won't know unless you ask.

Bluesy.

Okay, it’s going back. I just found the uneven seam mid way from the bridge to the edge. I can see it, feel the sharp edge when run my finger over it. The seam on the back is perfect. I feel like I’m being picky and just looking for flaws but I’m novice and don’t even know what I’m looking for and they are noticeable.

This whole situation seems very strange. I can't imagine that instrument left KoAloha that way. I was just at the factory two weeks ago and they had two potential 25th tenors on the wall as Factory Specials. I spent ten minutes examining them over and over and could not find any flaws. Brian had to point them out to me, both being minuscule finish problems (one on the back of the headstock) that I would have never identified.

There is no way a 25th with scratches, much less a join that can be felt on the top, would have been allowed to go to a dealer. I would have serious questions what happened between the factory and your door.

I hope you are able to find another Silver, you won't be disappointed !

I’m just looking for a good sounding tenor and happened to stumble upon the Koaloha KTM-25. Funny, I will be traveling to Hawaii in a few months. I wasn’t planning on visiting any of the ukulele factory but maybe I should.

I would definitely return it. They should have caught that in the setup and notified you.

Last edited:
I’m just looking for a good sounding tenor and happened to stumble upon the Koaloha KTM-25. Funny, I will be traveling to Hawaii in a few months. I wasn’t planning on visiting any of the ukulele factory but maybe I should.
That is perfect activity for a rainy morning or afternoon. Kamaka and KoAloha are located close to one another and can be done on same day with lunch at Ala Moana in between. Kanile'a is further away and takes a bit of planning if you go by bus. Both KoAloha and Kanile'a have showrooms that are worth the trip too. There are also many ukulele stores, with several in walking distance from the beach. And that's Oahu only.

That scuff/scratch is not acceptable. Especially on a uke that expensive and is a special anniversary run. The dealer has no idea if it's going to be a played instrument, or a collector's piece.

And they buyer has to consider the already-reduced resale value.

Have you successfully returned it?
I understand the heartbreak. It's a massive amount of money, you treated yourself to an exceptional experience and didn't get it. You would expect small quirks in a handmade instrument perhaps, but damage or playability issues are not quirks. The perfect finish you expect is part of the price tag. For scratches I would have expected a partial refund and I personally could live with them then. For the seam issue, well, if it had been a factory special direct from the manufacturer, with a good discount, I could live with that too - but that's because you would know that the problems stop there and are purely aesthetic. With a dealer there's no knowing what else went on with it, storage conditions etc.
If you feel the dealer treated you poorly it wouldn't be excessive to send an email to KoAloha about the experience - assuming it's an authorized dealer. If not, then make sure you purchase from an authorized dealer.
Good luck!! Wish I could have a 25 myself :)

If you are still looking, there is a used KTM-25 on the Ukulele Marketplace on Facebook. (You have to join the group to view and buy & sell.)
I know nothing about the seller or the instrument. But he's listing it for $1200USD and it says it has a small ding on the back.
At least you'll know it has a ding before you buy. Ask about returns and get large photos before you pay for it.

since you are in Hawaii take the uke to Ko'Aloha because of the bad seam they may give you a new uke...they have a great return policy as long as you say the uke has been kept away from bad humidity...

since you are in Hawaii take the uke to Ko'Aloha because of the bad seam they may give you a new uke...they have a great return policy as long as you say the uke has been kept away from bad humidity...

That is an interesting thought! They have a great warranty. I was just there a couple weeks ago and they were giving a customer a new mango tenor because of some damage to the orig. This was a warranty claim.

Not sure if they will still be making KTM-25's in a few months since they are already in the mid, maybe higher 400's (out of the 500 units) for the anniversary tenors. But they might have regular KTM-00, Naupakas, or Mangos.

If you wait too long, the dealer won't take it back.

If you take it to Ko'Aloha it says that you had it happen to the uke. And the dealer skates on sending you a damaged/defective instrument.

But, do what seems best for you.

Top Bottom