Season 107: "Johnny" week

Now that Redpaul1 has given me some bandwith looks like I can put the video in here. Given the reason for the Season it seems appropriate to do a song about best friends. Wish I could do a song in one take as well as Pabrizzer. Actually, I wish I could do a song in 15 takes as well as Pabrizzer does in one take......

Last edited:
Johnny & Mary

Now that Fred has given me my bandwidth back, I can put up my final video, a demo track of the song I want BEVOMU to cover :)

Paul looks ya all had a ball ..........ahhhhhhh don't the years fly by so quickly ..........seems like only yesterday ..........

imagesCASH4SA2.jpg

Attachments

• imagesCAYTTIJN.jpg
    imagesCAYTTIJN.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Because it's a Johnny Cash song and it's with U2, it had to be done ;-). This is Johnny Cash and U2 - the Wanderer:

Here's a Johnny song, one of my favorites. I picked the easiest chords I could find. I'm working on a melody within the chords for this song with harder chords but thought if I posted an easier version everyone could play along. This is a chords only play along. (Could have been set up better but I learned some lessons in how to make a play along!) Perhaps some Seasonistas will add vocal or melody, bass, whatever! My daughter taught me a neat trick...you can copy any video to your computer on YT if you put an "ss" before the link, like this, www.ssyoutube.com...etc. Put in "ss" and press the enter key and it asks you how you want it saved. I don't know how to get the example I put up not to show up in red. It's not something to click on!

Last edited:
How much beer ?

10003479_1423176131262295_1402199806_n.jpg

:) i only had a few your honor ??? the trouble is i dont drink very much so when i do i feel the consequences, anyway great spending time with you and krabbers and look forward to seeing you again Paul and Mike, we defiantly have to arrange a Uk seasonistas meet up, sorry to high jack the thread, now back to johhny :)

Looks like Redpaul beat me too this one. His wasn't there when I went to bed, but mine took so long to upload I couldn't wait.
It's a bit of an epic, and much longer than my preference of just a couple of minutes, but a favourite Springsteen track from his second album. It features Spanish Johnny.
Had trouble stifling a cough in the last chorus and didn't quite get the last chord right, but it will have to be good enough for this entry.
One of the good things about the Seasons is the chance to revisit songs from the past, and actually learn the correct words. This record was issued in Australia in a sleeve with virtually no liner notes, so no lyrics. I have been singing words to this song which were close, but not really correct, for years.

Looks like Redpaul beat me too this one. His wasn't there when I went to bed, but mine took so long to upload I couldn't wait.
It's a bit of an epic, and much longer than my preference of just a couple of minutes, but a favourite Springsteen track from his second album. It features Spanish Johnny.
[snip]
One of the good things about the Seasons is the chance to revisit songs from the past, and actually learn the correct words. This record was issued in Australia in a sleeve with virtually no liner notes, so no lyrics. I have been singing words to this song which were close, but not really correct, for years.

http://youtu.be/nv_MdT4WNRU

You should worry. My next one up was going to be Johnny Appleseed :eek: - that's gone back in the box! And I've already gone up against greenie44 in this Season and the last!

You're absolutely right though about the spin-off benefits in researching the songs you're planning to enter in a Season. It was through that I discovered the original lyric to "Puttin' On The Ritz" for pabrizzer's 'Hat' Season (102) - and what a surprise that was!

Have you ever come across "The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band" by Clinton Heylin? In it, he argues that the Vini Lopez/David Sancious outfit was far and away the best iteration of the E Street Band. Springsteen's songwriting may have got more disciplined as his career progressed, he reckons, but he never had a better band than the one he had playing on 'The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle." - and you know? I think he's got a valid case.

I could bore for Britain on this topic - this and The Clash - so I'll just stop now :D

Last edited:
You should worry. My next one up was going to be Johnny Appleseed :eek: - that's gone back in the box! And I've already gone up against greenie44 in this Season and the last!

Ah, no competition here - I never feel like I am up against any of my Seasonista colleagues. My only caveat is to not listen to another version if I am planning on doing one, to keep from too much influence creeping in.

It's always nice to hear alternate versions of the same tune.

Ah, no competition here - I never feel like I am up against any of my Seasonista colleagues. My only caveat is to not listen to another version if I am planning on doing one, to keep from too much influence creeping in.

It's always nice to hear alternate versions of the same tune.

Yes of course, you are quite right. I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek there :)

This was written by Sting but the first time I heard it was on the last album Johnny Cash did before he died. You could almost tell he didn't have long left in this world but this album (Cash Americana IV) was really powerful in how you could tell how frail he was getting and yet every song that he covered was amazing. I've listened to the other versions by Sting and Springsteen but the one that really tells the story is the version by Mr. Cash.

This must be the first ever entry by an octodectet. (there are 18 ukes here, right?) Looks like loads of fun, and it’s kind of surreal seeing a kanikapila in an open restaurant like that. Man if I walked into that, I’d be borrowing a uke from someone right quick! Bunnyflower, is that you standing and leading the vocal?
Thanks for the Southern Aloha.

I am up on one end, with DeepWater and Decaturcomp- and DeG is in there, too! Not sure who else in the video is on UU; I know some of the UU members that usually are at the SEUkers meetings couldn't make it out that day, sadly. We'd love it and share ukes if you popped in! The people in the restaurant don't seem to mind our invasions at all, and the owner loves it. He said now he has people coming in to eat especially on the days "when those ukulele people are coming."
And, now I have to go count ukes in the video, because I have no idea how many we had there that day... :)

Great song! I had to go searching around for some Waterboys because I'd never heard of them...(sometimes I live in a tiny cultural bubble).
i really only knew "whole of the moon" from the waterboys - it was only when i went a-googling for this season that i found the "girl called johhny" song - you learn SO MUCH AMAZING STUFF from the seasons!

Okay, I'll post another entry later this week that might contain a little hint. Or it might just throw you off. :)
oh goody! i don't care how wide of the mark i am each time, it's just so great to guess!

what goes on in Berkhamsted stays in Berkhamsted :eek:
lol!

Actually, I wish I could do a song in 15 takes as well as Pabrizzer does in one take......
i know what you mean! and he makes it look so effortless too!

Now that Fred has given me my bandwidth back, I can put up my final video, a demo track of the song I want BEVOMU to cover :)
a. i'm glad you boys finally stopped fighting over the bandwidth!

and b. thanks so much for suggesting this song, paul, and for posting your cover too - i'm defo gonna give this a go, it's a great song!

Here is my song mentioning Johnny. I love Carole King and was so glad I found this song. I wasn't familiar with it but its a great tune. I have had a heck of a time finding a private moment in the house today. I dared two of my seasonista friends to do a song on the John...who would have guessed that I would be the one to post on the toilet:) So you get a double Johnny song! Enjoy.

One Was Johnny~

Top Bottom