SEASON 144: Play It Again, but Better

GinnyT11

Reaction score
"Wow—you play a lot better now!”

Seasonistas will testify that regular participation in the Seasons makes them better uke players. Let’s prove it:
This week, RE-DO a song you have previously done for a Seasons challenge.

But don’t just dash it off!
I’m asking you to think about it...prepare it anew...and play it better.

Your challenge: Let the musician you are today
re-imagine a previous Seasons performance.

Some ideas for this re-imagining:
—Use a more complex arrangement. Practice till you’ve really got it.
—Fingerpick an intro, bridge or outro that you couldn’t do for your original.
—Add ornamentation—flourishes, turnarounds, uke-percussion, strum variation.
—Play more dynamically: Stand up to play if you always sit. Sing right out. Smile like you’re having fun.
—Add a co-performer in the frame with you to enrich the song. Interact while playing.

(Note: Simple, small improvements count. For example, I’m just trying to beat my squirrel-on-fire tempo issue.)

Don’t hurry to post! Take…your...time to plan and re-record your entry so it will showcase your development. Maybe use a different uke or setting. Add a harmony or rhythm track if you want, but production values don’t matter…the important part is your better playing!

Maximum TWO do-over songs. (You’ll have time to support your fellow Seasonistas’ improvements!)
Each submission post must have:
1. a link—just the link—to your original, so we can see (and applaud!) your improvement.
2. a brief comment about how you worked on your re-do and what you like about the result.
Optional 3: Tell how you feel about this self-study exercise.

One Prize
I’ll make a shortlist of my favorite improved performances.
Then I’ll draw a name from a hat—in fact, from this new Strumasaurus hat, which is the ONE prize for the week.
(Not prizes are the uke made by Doug Frink and the embroidery done by Saskia van Loozen.)

uke prize.jpg

You know this part:
—No videos posted before Sunday morning, Nov 16, Hawaii time.
—One continuous take. This time no multi frame, no filters, no visuals except your title.
—Say or note that it’s for Season 144.
—Season ends Sunday, Nov 23, at a minute before midnight, Hawaii time.

This week is not for first-timers because you must have a previous entry to participate. But I’m thinking of you lurkers—I want you to see what participating in the Seasons can do for your playing. I say jump in soon—there’s no down side!

PLAYLIST of matching then-and-now entries

Extras playlist of improved performances

Last edited:
AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I’M REQUESTING

1. Link
Here’s my awful I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire for Season 41, Fire Week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlEHw0TzZ8w
>>You can skip this, really. I’m mortified to view it—I played like I was being pursued by the Furies.

2. Brief comments about the re-do
I can’t do anything as slowly as the Inkspots sing, so I listened to the John Gary version. I’m playing slower than in my original video, but I need metronome work to slow me even more. It’s still flawed technically, but I’m pleased that I’ve beaten much of my anxiety (read: terror) about both playing and singing. That’s due to feeling more like I’m playing for friends—another benefit of ongoing participation in the Seasons.

Optional 3. Thoughts/feelings
I’m feeling encouraged. I practiced quite a bit leading up to this re-do video, and I hope it will lead me to a stronger habit of practicing. I’m not a real musician, with the lyricism of music in me, but the re-do shows me that I’m playing better than before...and that’s good.

Last edited:
WoW This is a fantastic idea Ginny. I have often looked back at songs Ive don and thought Uhgggg!

I love this idea. Now where is that thinking cap.......

Last edited:
Oops I deleted all mine since Season 74 bar the last two........mainly because I didn't consider them great and wanted to re-do them !! Lol

My most recent one from memory was a dire take on 'Blue Skies' a few seasons ago which I would have been looking to re-do anyway so PERFECT for this season.........Nice one Ginny !!

Psssst ..............I can also debut my new concert Pono !!! :cool:

Last edited:
If I was my 15 year old son my response would be..."I knew that's what you were going to say!" What a fantastic idea!!!!

Myrna, the lesson is that your songs can be improved upon NOW. Back when you did them, they were just fine. I'm making you watch yourself and see your improvement. Your new versions will make you proud of how you're now able to play.

You know any season song I've ever done would be so much better if I was jamming along with any one of the Portland Seasonistas. Let alone having you all there together. More fun - more joy. I sure hope to hear something redone by you guys and dang, do I wish I was there!

Sometimes I think my (limited) skill set is on the wane - I know my voice is not as good as it was range wise and with some finger and arm issues I have, I am sure my playing has begun its downward slide too.
Some times I look back and wonder if that's actually me doing that stuff.
And of course there have been times I have revisted songs only to be slightly disappointed with the result.
I do have the same problem as you say you have Ginny, of the dreaded speed up through the song, and boy is that a hard one to break.
I'll go back and see if there are some season clangers - I hope I don't find too many.
I am open to some (kind) suggestions.

ginny, nice demo post but HELLO you were improving on perfection!

great theme/challenge, rather like you think about yourself (i don't agree but hey) i think i mostly need to slow the heck DOWN, i always go too fast... unless, as per pa's brill idea, anyone has any other suggestions for me, am i man enough to listen, uh................. dunno! :eek:

ginny, nice demo post but HELLO you were improving on perfection!

great theme/challenge, rather like you think about yourself (i don't agree but hey) i think i mostly need to slow the heck DOWN, i always go too fast... unless, as per pa's brill idea, anyone has any other suggestions for me, am i man enough to listen, uh................. dunno! :eek:

No no no no no no no .....it was not slow the hell down ......it was STRUM the hell down ..............oh .....whooops I got the Bird between me and the door....bad tacti.........................................................................................................................*thud*

I'll go back and see if there are some season clangers - I hope I don't find too many.
I am open to some (kind) suggestions.

Brian, I have a vague recollection of you doing a song a long time ago where you were outside and singing about an Australian bandit or something. Do you have any other story songs in your Seasons backlist that you could revise by standing up outside and bringing to bear more emotion to the singing and playing?

Hahaha- I just did that today for last week! Great idea here (and I am sure I can find another dud) ;)

I'm agog with the spirit of improvement here. Jolly nice idea GTurner!
So many to choice! SO MANY that I dashed off in one duff take and thought them 'good enough'. Hah! Balderdash. Hie me hence to the dungheap of history to collect and polish those rankest of nuggets, those little packages so offal as to be compleatly unlistenable, those bastard children of the late hour who are wholly without merit nor wit nor the faintest whiff of malice aforetho't.
Quickly, to the Stenchmobile!(tm)
http://180degreehealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mr.-hankey.jpg?b7ac83

Me likes this theme. I almost re-did Christina Perri's "Thousand Years" earlier this week for Janet because I've always wanted to do better on it since my fingers struggled on the continuous barred chords and trying to sing properly, but I'll go back in the vault and see what else I can come up with.

Thanks Ginny - I am not real good at the theatrical side of the vids - but I have a little framed piece of needle work on my wall that says 'ukelear power' to remind me of that song I sang about Ned Kelly done by Mrs Tiger's own hands.
I think I have found one I can do something with.
Of course wanting to improve something and actually improving that thing are different things altogether.
I'll make a little list of the things I was hoping to improve in the new vid.

BTW WeTigers - if you are reading this - I owe you a little gift from my last season. I'll PM you.

Last edited:
Hmm, most of my worst videos were when I chose songs that my voice couldn't bring off. And it would still be my voice singing them this week.

Top Bottom