Season 193: Harry’s Halloween Hootenanny!

I was scrolling through my songs on the computer today and I came across this that I had totally forgotten about. I originally found it in a book of 17th century broadsides that I bought some years ago.

This sort of popped into my head just now.

What BEV would call a home made songlet.

Sums up my wife's feelings about Halloween

Randy, I wish you were my art teacher when I was a kid. Love the way you are open to us playing anything that we want. So I went to look at the few songs I've saved to learn in my first 6 months of getting to know the uke.
And I saw this song. The problem is I didn't learn to play it then. Still haven't learnt how to play it well. But I had fun recording this for your party. Hope this make you smile!

( Linda, I am wearing the family tree charm you gave me. Thanks:))

AND, I DUNNO WHY I KEPT SINGING "SHAKE" INSTEAD OF "SHEIK".
often I reject a recording because of my pronunciation! But I let this be!

Actually, "shake" is probably closer to the true pronunciation than the westernized "sheek."

Another Lovecraftian poem I wrote in the late 90s that I just basically kind of noodled my way through with a bunch of minor minor 7th chords.

On the Shore by the Ocean

Walking alone on the shore by the ocean,
Where waves are unfurling like cold dragon's wings,
Driftwood comes floating in shapes grim and distorted;
With bellowing surf the deep ocean sings.

'Neath a small yellow moon, above cold briney spray
Are black silhouettes that facelessly flutter,
Keeping their secrets, betraying no aims;
Silently fly with not a peep nor a mutter.

And the small yellow moon is briefly occulted
By great vasty wings that encompass the sky;
Eclipsing the stars and sleeking the water--
As suddenly gone, and the surf breathes a sigh.

And o'er all, the music of wind and the water
Whispering secrets too subtle to hear,
But understood only by strange intuition:
Too eldritch for joy, more awesome than fear.

Wand'ring in silence through grey-litten dreamlands
Brought on by reading an abhorred tome;
Then, timidly, sunlight leaks through the shutters,
Ending the vision and bringing me home.

header193.gif

Jazzbanjorex All Souls Night Great song, perfect addition to the Season! The effects are awesome!

jagcorps Wish you were here Your take on this song is so pretty it belongs in this Season! It has a melancholy feel that fits well with a Halloween theme!

Jazzbanjorex Dirty Deeds Nice song choice! Love what you did with it!

Tootler Grim King of The Ghosts Are you kidding me? What a terrific find! I love your delivery.

Jazzbanjorex Can't Take It With You I remember this one! Alan Parsons was all about the big concept albums, this one about pyramid power. Good song, thanks for bringing it!

Tootler I Hate Halloween Nice melody. Well-made songlet!

BigDaddyUker Abracadabra Geez, that mask kinda looks like me! Anyway, good song, great job with it!

alanDP Hallowe'en in a Suburb Then wild in the dark let the lemurs bark, And the leprous spires ascend; For new and old alike in the fold; Of horror and death are penned, For the hounds of Time to rend. Incredible lyric. Great song, thanks for bringing it.

alanDP On the Shore By the Ocean Nice! And definitely Halloweenish!

BigDaddyUker Minor Bad Moon Rising Yow! Great production! The moonlight is perfect! I'm a fan of moving songs to a minor key, and it works so well here! Excellent!

Last edited:
the theme song from the WONDERFUL film :bowdown: "carry on screaming"

or something a tiny bit like it - i had to work out the chords :eek: be afraid! :uhoh:

Last edited:
Dan (Bonesoup) asked me if there will be video from Friday night's live performance of "The Purple People Eater". Yes, I do believe there will, though I will have to hand my camera to someone to get it posted this week ... I don't expect to get the "official" one till after the Season ends.

But he reminded me that I did have a fun and productive rehearsal (and fabulous dinner) last night with my backup singers, Tweety and Sylvester (Tim and Nancy) ... and that we took photos of the Purple People Eater costume in process, which Nancy was working on through the evening.

2015-10-26 21.09.52.jpg

So far he a three-eyed, one-horned, earthbound Purple People Eater ... but that should get remedied by Friday.

(Somebody please remind me how to make the photos show big?)

Last edited:
Dan (Bonesoup) asked me if there will be video from Friday night's live performance of "The Purple People Eater". Yes, I do believe there will, though I will have to hand my camera to someone to get it posted this week ... I don't expect to get the "official" one till after the Season ends.

But he reminded me that I did have a fun and productive rehearsal (and fabulous dinner) last night with my backup singers, Tweety and Sylvester (Tim and Nancy) ... and that we took photos of the Purple People Eater costume in process, which Nancy was working on through the evening.

View attachment 84715

So far he a three-eyed, one-horned, earthbound Purple People Eater ... but that should get remedied by Friday.

(Somebody please remind me how to make the photos show big?)

imgee.jpg

Awesome. Thank you, Randy!

But that requires it to be posted online somewhere with a .jpg extension. Neither Facebook nor Dropbox photos work.

So, where's the easiest place online to post photos that maintains the image file extension?

I could (and may yet) upload them to a hidden folder on my own web site, but that seems so ... um ... '90's.

But that requires it to be posted online somewhere with a .jpg extension. Neither Facebook nor Dropbox photos work.

So, where's the easiest place online to post photos that maintains the image file extension?

I could (and may yet) upload them to a hidden folder on my own web site, but that seems so ... um ... '90's.

Any photo storage place like flickr or photobucket will work.

This isn't really a Halloween song, but it does have murder and cannibalism and a particularly gruesome kind of execution. This isn't the same song I posted a few weeks ago, just the same title.

The original is just vocal only with some spooky background effects but no music until you get to the second instrumental part. So the ukulele bits were just arranged by me going by what I thought sounded like the right chords. The melody in the original instrumental part was played with a fiddle.

The video is a little out of sync. Oh well.

I just checked my dropbox photos and they all have a .jpg extension

"But that seems so ... Um ... 90's" So what! If that's what it takes, just do it!

Top Bottom