Season 2-0-2 ... Two by Two ... Duos and the Number 2

Great theme Wendy............this Isn't an entry I just thought I would prostitute myself if anyone wanted to mess around with this one and add vocals or Improvise along with the uke..........the downside of course is that you get my face, lost in concentration and looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp !!

Last edited:
I hope Alan doesn't mind that I stole this right out from under his nose. I was going to let him post it but then I decided it was too much mine to give it back ;) Just kidding Alan. Im sending it to you and you can repost it from your channel too if you like.

I thought this was such a lovely sentiment when he sent me the song a month ago but I just couldn't get to it. Then after hearing his version I felt I had to jump in and sing along. Its very rough with early morning and no sleep vocals but thats all the time Ive got. Some of you know that my mother was a singer and turned down an offer to further her career professionally to raise her five children. Alan came up with these lyrics and when I saw the song on paper with just chords and lyrics it wasn't this fantastic in my head. He's done a very sweet thing here. Thanks so much Alan :)

I hope Alan doesn't mind that I stole this right out from under his nose. I was going to let him post it but then I decided it was too much mine to give it back ;) Just kidding Alan. Im sending it to you and you can repost it from your channel too if you like.

I thought this was such a lovely sentiment when he sent me the song a month ago but I just couldn't get to it. Then after hearing his version I felt I had to jump in and sing along. Its very rough with early morning and no sleep vocals but thats all the time Ive got. Some of you know that my mother was a singer and turned down an offer to further her career professionally to raise her five children. Alan came up with these lyrics and when I saw the song on paper with just chords and lyrics it wasn't this fantastic in my head. He's done a very sweet thing here. Thanks so much Alan :)

We have a lot to thank your mum for.
Your wonderful talent and generosity of spirit is just all over this season Linda!
The Reno duet with AlanDP was such a delight to hear.

Wendy this has turned out to be such a SPECIAL season!
Some truely memorable contributions this week! Thank you.

We have a lot to thank your mum for.
Your wonderful talent and generosity of spirit is just all over this season Linda!
The Reno duet with AlanDP was such a delight to hear.

Some truely memorable contributions this week! Thank you.

Both Alan's are wonderful talents. Thank you Brian for those very kind words. I agree. This started out to be a season that seemed like an impossibility for so many but when theres a will theres a way and people pulled together and got things done. If it weren't for the fact that I don't sleep I couldn't have found any time this week to help out. Anytime there is a season that connects us together is a great season.

Now someone take Mark's (mythinformed) song and do something with it. It is really beautifully done and there is so much that can be done to finish it off. It is well worth a listen!

The sisters return!
Yesterday we had the chance to record another song because we all got together again for new year's eve. We recorded Walking in the Air. The song from the wonderful animation film The Snowman. A must see short film by Raymond Briggs from 1982. Music and words by Howard Blake.

Cynthia: vocals, ukulele, Saskia: vocals, glockenspiel, vibraphone, Michael: big baritone, electric upright bass

I have a surprise video lined up for you guys ;) maybe tomorrow...

Alan DP graciously and bravely took up the challenge and put some shweeeet vocals to this one. Great job Alan, cheers mate.
Hmmmm........any unemployed bassists and drummers wanna join the band?

Last edited:

Thanks so much, LL. I'm tickled that you liked it enough to make this huge improvement!
You're awesome.

I love the theme this week, and it has been quite awhile since I have been able to enter anything, but with the holiday I was able to carve out some time.... I choose 'Devoted to You', as it's a lovely song that I always wanted to do and this is also such a sentimental time for me with the Holidays. When I sing the song I am reminded of all the love over the years through the struggles, and the gift of my relatives and family members....

IZ orphan

Here's a cover number that could use some help with background stuff and someone to sing the echo's or chorus harmony or whatever :)

Code:
Hawaiian Superman  by IZ
				Intro: Am, G, F, E7 

Am 
Oh, tall is the tale of the mischievous one 
    G                                     F      E7      Am 
Who fished out all the islands and captured the sun 
    Am 
His deeds and tasks I will unmask so that you'll understand 
     G                                                 F         E7    Am 
That before there was a Clark Kent there was a Hawaiian Super Man 

C                     G                           F 
He fished out the islands with a magic hook
C                                G                    Am 
There would have been more, if somebody looked 
C                    G                      F 
He pulled morning sky, the sun he entwined 
C                  G                         Am   E7 
Slowed down his flight so kapa could dry, yeah 

Am 
        Mischievous, marvelous, magical Maui:  Hero of this Land 
            G                                F          E7    Am 
        The one the only, the ultimate Hawaiian Supa Man 
        Am        G         F              E7 
        Maui echo Maui echo Maui echo,  Hawaiian Super Man 
        Am        G         F              E7 
        Maui echo Maui echo Maui echo,  Hawaiian Super Man

****outro after last chorus: Am, G, Dm, G, Am

Am 
Secret of fire was locked somewhere in time 
            G ah hee   [SIZE=1]hal-lay    koo-kay[/SIZE]F        E7   Am 
So when the ahi died in the hale kuke, no way to reignite 
   Am    
So off he goes in search of those who hold the information 
   G                                    F       E7    Am 
So fire could be used by all the future generations 

Break Am, G, F, E7
Chorus 

C                G  a-lie                    F 
He found that Alae held the fire connection 
C                  G                               Am 
But his plan of deception fell short from perfection 
C           G                        F 
Without a choice he had to get mean 
C                  a-lie    G                    Am              E7 
So he squeezed Alae's throat until she screamed the secret 
Chorus*****

Some truly memorable contributions this week! Thank you.

I agree. This started out to be a season that seemed like an impossibility for so many but when there's a will there's a way and people pulled together and got things done. If it weren't for the fact that I don't sleep I couldn't have found any time this week to help out. Anytime there is a season that connects us together is a great season.

What a beautiful season this is. I see love everywhere, friendships deepening, possibilities for music making widening and music videos that will become precious to everyone involved. Thankyou Wendy.

Oh, thanks to all of you ... all of you! Everyone who's contributed so far, everyone who's at work on something or considering it, or even lurking and listening (though speak up if you are ... there are some wonderful opportunities available to get some loving and expert support and hand-holding in making your first Seasons entry ... whole lotta folks here eager to make music with you).

So much terrific stuff ... I see you've all been busy while I was at Neil's home partying all day with him and his wife and sweet daughter and lovely friends. I'm going to do my best to catch up on playlists and comments tomorrow morning ... and then Sunday it's my turn to host an all-day music party, which I expect Neil will attend. So this latter part of the week is going to be a bit more challenging for both of us to keep up with you all! But we'll do our best, and ... as has happened in my previous Seasons ... it may be a bit of a challenge to manage that last day. And then busy work week. So be patient - sorry about the timing ... the Sunday party is to honor a musical friend who'll be in town, and I learned about that long after I signed up to host. So we'll roll with it the best we can.

We also took advantage of today's rather quiet party to sneak off and make a duo video (after working it out in front of the early party guests, and in between performing it for later ones, and for one stay-at-home almost-attendee by FaceTime), inspired by Lynda's birthday thread, which I'll post in a moment.

And likely we'll be able to make some more duos happen at Sunday's party with others ... and the two women who share my home have also expressed interest in doing one with me here ... so, busy week for us and we'll do our best to balance hosting and participating. Because we too are enjoying this opportunity to connect and make music with each other and other friends and share in the magic of Season 2-oh!-2.

Anyway, yeah, what Pa and Linda and Jon said above ... you all really captured the spirit of the Season in your lovely comments. I confess I was a bit worried when we got off to a slow start, but the kind of stuff that's unfolding now is exactly the kind of stuff I'd envisioned when I first thought up this theme. I'm glad we all got through that awkward teething phase ... we are flying now!

There's still more than two full days left, so if you haven't joined in yet and would like to be a part of the magic-making, I think you can see from some of the recent examples just how easy it is to do that. Grab someone near you and dash off something quick and fun ... or do one yourself - video and/or audio - and post it here ... and it seems pretty certain someone will take whatever you bring us and add something wonderful to it!

I'm loving all the terrific stuff so far, and excited to see what the next two days will bring!

Howdy all!

A holiday visit today for an in-the-flesh collaboration with Greenie44/Rick/BigKingVelour.
A great day of hanging out and talking story and working on this Big Star song. A pleasure to meet you, Rick.
Send more Seasonistas! This was my third visit from virtual UU friends. So far no armed robberies at all!

As for the song, it doesn't really embody two-ness, but it's what we ended up with so I'm hoping we can Thorton Rule our way in...
One might argue that it refers to two different partners: "I don't think I like... you hanging around...I could be with Ann, but I'd just get bored.." But it's not exactly Peaches and Herb material.

https://youtu.be/Ae7DavwUD7U

Last edited:
Wow! Two people have picked up on I Am a Rock. Alan has posted his with added counter melody on banjo uke. Great.
BDU has added his voice and uke. Also great. Two great additions. Love it.

Wendy, why not just leave the solo efforts on the playlist so if others want to pick them up they can. Two people with different ideas on how to add to the original is great.

Okay, fair point ... I did what you asked, Geoff, and even upped your idea a notch.

The "Solos in Search of a Duo" playlist now includes, in the following order:

1) All solo videos that have not yet been made into a duo.
(Currently, the first three videos in the playlist are the ones that are still "orphans".)

2) The rest of the playlist includes every solo video I could find in the thread that was at some point posted as a request for collaboration, that has already received at least one collaboration. Each of them is followed immediately by its resulting duo video or videos. So you can see the original and its collab(s) one right after the other. Which might inspire others to post solo request videos, when you see the kind of magic that can result.

(And if someone should want to do an additional duo after one's already been done, as Geoff suggested, you can easily do that.)

So enjoy that! It should be easy enough to tell which ones are still as-yet-un-duo-ed ... they are the ones all alone at the top of the playlist.

As the duos get done, I'll move the solos to the bottom of the playlist along with their resulting duos, and I'll continue to add new solo requests to the top as they are added in the thread.

"Older" - They Might Be Giants (New Year / birthday-inspired song)

Flashback to earlier this week:
You all know how much I love the funny, quirky stuff. So yeah, some TMBG would be great!

Haha, turns out to be *us* who brought the TMBG!
(Though I hope Chelsea and others will bring us some more!)

Lynda's birthday thread got me working on this sobering-but-fun contemplation on life and the passage of time. Neil loves it too, so he was all over it when I mentioned it. We've missed her birthday, but, well, I'm early for most of the 2016 birthdays ... and I have long wanted a quirky-fun-unusual birthday song to post on people's Facebook timelines.

It's also a perfectly appropriate song to ring in a new year ... we made this video at Neil's New Year's Day party, and got to sing it several times to different groups of party guests.

Since it's by a duo and we ended up doing it together, it belongs here too.

Last edited:
Okay, both playlists are updated - please check them and make sure I got yours ... adding a bunch of stuff at 2am might well make me error-prone, and this thread is rather complicated, sorting the duo entries from solos-awaiting-duos and such ... so I'd really appreciate additional sober eyes keeping me honest!

I am way behind on comments ... will rectify that in the morning.

Some more post whoring ......................
(Nearly lose it at 1.30 in due the battle axe downstairs banging on the ceiling grrrrrr)

Top Bottom