Season 2-0-2 ... Two by Two ... Duos and the Number 2

Hah! I remember this.
Loved it then> Love it now.

While you're organising your duos a bit of seasons history.
I wasn't around for season 18 but I recall conversations about that season.
Hosted by TCK where he asked for duets.
For my first season as host I thought that duos like The Ukelites and weTigers were sooo good they needed a handicap and 'insisted' on solo performances only. (I still think that those duos consistently produce the highest quality stuff here on the seasons)
If I recall correctly Michael performed while Saskia read Bill Bryson's book about Australia In a Sunburned Country.

Season of the Ukulele 46
"011137"
0: no effects
1: one take, no overdubs
1: solo performance
1: one entry
3: max. three minutes
7: at least seven different chords

It's what I use but you're right it's for Linux only.

BTW Geoff: Successfully set up two 6 yrs old laptops, XP and VISTA machines, with Mint v17 (even incl. Playonlinux+Windows! Office working!). After 7 hours of work for the first laptop (most time for trials and errors), I only needed 45 min for a full installation of the second laptop. I'm very satisfied, and if you use OpenShot, I'll give it a try.

Wendy is part of a duo so we can all just do a duo.
But it ain't that easy.........
and now we have a page of tech talk.........:(
and a competing It's my birthday thread...sigh.....

Given the nature of Wendy's challenge, tech talk is pretty much inevitable as we try to make duos work at a distance.

Yeah, I know duos are harder than solo videos ... I did expect this week to be a challenge, but I also thought this might be a better week than most for most people to meet the challenge. Submissions are coming a lot slower than I expected.

You don't need to do long-distance techno-challenging duos, though ... you can also grab someone local.

I've done lots of duo videos with various friends (not just my "band"), most of whom had never made video before, and some of whom I'd never done a song with before. I just invited them, and they came ... I didn't think it would be that hard for the rest of you, most of whom also have people you live with (which I don't have).

This is meant to be fun, not hard ... the opportunity is to make music with another person, maybe someone you haven't made music with before. Or anybody handy. Surely we all have people in our lives who are around somewhere? :)

If you need help hooking up with someone to partner with, please ask in the thread.
(Not just tech help. Though I for one am learning some useful things from that discussion too.)

PS, I would love to meet some of the people in your lives, like we did with Bonesoup's father-in-law, and Saskia's sister. (And Linda's Daisy dog. :))

Pa, what has become of Charlotte? I miss seeing her here with you. I hope all is well!

This is one of mrs. cheese's fave songs. It's by a duet called "The Black Keys". And it includes the phrase, "strike two".

I've done lots of duo videos with various friends (not just my "band"), most of whom had never made video before, and some of whom I'd never done a song with before. I just invited them, and they came ... I didn't think it would be that hard for the rest of you, most of whom also have people you live with (which I don't have).

This is meant to be fun, not hard ... the opportunity is to make music with another person, maybe someone you haven't made music with before. Or anybody handy. Surely we all have people in our lives who are around somewhere? :)

Pa, what has become of Charlotte? I miss seeing her here with you. I hope all is well!

Yeah! I just click my fingers and they come.

Charlie starts high school 2016.
I still see her when she wants but I guess playing songs with pa ain't gonna be high on her agenda for a time.

I did want Big Daddy to sing with me but technology conspired against us.
My brother Ivan will be here shortly to do a couple of songs all going well.

Yeah! I just click my fingers and they come.

Charlie starts high school 2016.
I still see her when she wants but I guess playing songs with pa ain't gonna be high on her agenda for a time.

I did want Big Daddy to sing with me but technology conspired against us.
My brother Ivan will be here shortly to do a couple of songs all going well.

High school ... no kidding?! Wasn't she just, like nine, yesterday? Wow, well, tell her we miss her!

I look forward to seeing you and Ivan together - that's always a treat.

Yeah, I don't exactly click and they come either ... it does take a bit more than that, and of course it's more work making a duo video than solo. You have no idea how many weeks Neil wants to make duo vids, and I say no because it's so much quicker to make my own. I get it. Part of me wants to make the challenge easier for you all ... but I also think we'll miss out on a lot of cool stuff that will happen if I don't.

So, for now at least, I'm gonna keep it as it is. If it stays this quiet for too long, I'll see what I can do to lower the bar a bit while still maintaining the spirit of the thing. Which is to have fun making music with others!

Yeah, I'm blessed to have lots of great people I get to do that with. But a lot of that is because I've sought it out. I have a duo because I created one. We have gigs because we ask for them. I'm pretty sure everybody has more creative collaborators available than they realize. So I want to give you a chance to create some of that magic for yourselves.

Just as many people come into the Seasons kicking and screaming, but then do it and fall in love with it, or resist ukulele until one day they fall in love with it, I think similar experiences await anyone here who takes on the duo challenge. Magic awaits. It takes some effort, but I think anyone who takes it on will find it worth the effort.

So I'll just wait a bit longer and see what arises. Good stuff so far. :)

You don't need to do long-distance techno-challenging duos, though ... you can also grab someone local.

This is meant to be fun, not hard ...

I think you may not be getting that to some people, this is an excuse to finally figure out how to use the video tech we have!

But a combination of long-distance and local collabs sounds good to me.

I would suggest that maybe we start a second thread for video tech-style questions, though.

I know exactly what you mean... Hmmmm.....

Alan and I have been batting around the idea of a collaboration on this tune for a while, and this week's theme made it a natural.

It's kind of a buddy song, performed by Bruce Springsteen with a vocal assist from Steve Van Zandt. It's from The River album. And, oh yes, the title is Two Hearts, so I guess it qualifies.

I really love all my collabs with Alan, but this one was especially nice. Probably the best one we have done.

I think you may not be getting that to some people, this is an excuse to finally figure out how to use the video tech we have!

But a combination of long-distance and local collabs sounds good to me.

I would suggest that maybe we start a second thread for video tech-style questions, though.

Of course I get that. I have no problem at all with folks who want to jump into the technology ... that's great too, and we all love the long-distance Seasonista collabs here. I was addressing the folks complaining that the duo requirement is too hard. Technology is not required, and I really think it is not that hard to get someone to join you in making a video locally.

There is a thread somewhere for techie stuff ... wow, looks like we haven't used it in ages - it used to be quite active.

HERE.

I don't have time to go back and see if the rules say new vids but for some of you who want to get involved this week here is a question for Wendy.

What about filming ourself while playing along with someone else's old video much like Alan Thornton has done in the past? Seems to me that would be the easiest way to pull this off with out having to have technical know how.

I don't have time to go back and see if the rules say new vids but for some of you who want to get involved this week here is a question for Wendy.

What about filming ourself while playing along with someone else's old video much like Alan Thornton has done in the past? Seems to me that would be the easiest way to pull this off with out having to have technical know how.

That's a new video in my book. You just have to find a song that meets requirement number 2. Great idea.

I Still Pray a song written and performed by Paul Kelly and Kasey Chambers.
By Brivan - that's what my dad used to call when he got our names mixed up sometimes. Brian and Ivan.

Comments on recent vids:

Linda (Lelouden) and Pabrizzer (and Daisy the dog) - "Bicycle Built for Two"
Awwww, this is sweet. Love the added bass line by Pa, and Linda's adorable doggie, who seems not quite so sure what to do with all that uking going on! My first doggie love was called Daisy too ... she was a similar size and had a similar face. Awwww.

Tina (austin1) and sister - "Blame it on Me"
How wonderful to have the return of the super singing Serra sisters for duo Season! I love this song, and your sister harmonies are as glorious as ever. And the uke hand-off sleight of hand ... spectacular!

Haha, did you notice the YouTube URL of this video? It is http://youtu.be/DIMAhH4Uke4 !

Ukulele Extra Cheese & Mrs. Cheese - "Howlin' for You"
Aw, that was some super fun! So great to see Mrs. Cheese dancing and singing and shaking her thing with you. I do see she's got a hold on you like glue. You had me dancing too. Great stuff, both of you.

Rick (greenie44) and Alan (decaturcomp) - "Two Hearts"
That was really terrific, Rick and Alan! I do love these collabs you do, and I agree this is one of your best. And what a great theme song for this Season. Love the ending. Alan, did you always play left-handed?

Brian (Pabrizzer) and Ivan - "I Still Pray"
Lovely song, boys. I've never heard this one. So great to see you and Ivan together again, Brian - gorgeous harmonies. Is that a recorder? Which one of you played that? That part was especially beautiful.

Last edited:

Absolutely, Linda. That would be great. I hadn't really thought of that, but for sure, if that makes it easier for those who are having a hard time finding someone to play with this week ... playing with someone's existing video would be just fine. And would still be fun for them and you. Great suggestion.

Just be sure the song you choose meets the song choice criteria - made popular by a duo, about a named duo, or mentioning some form of the number 2. Tons of songs fit one or another of those options, so it should be easy enough to find a video you like to add yourself to.

That's a new video in my book. You just have to find a song that meets requirement number 2. Great idea.

Yes, exactly! BDU said it shorter and better.

Last edited:
Absolutely, Linda. That would be great. I hadn't really thought of that, but for sure, if that makes it easier for those who are having a hard time finding someone to play with this week ... playing with someone's existing video would be just fine. And would still be fun for them and you. Great suggestion.

Just be sure the song you choose meets the song choice criteria - made popular by a duo, about a named duo, or mentioning some form of the number 2. Tons of songs fit one or another of those options, so it should be easy enough to find a video you like to add yourself to.

Well then to make it even easier maybe some of us could suggest songs we know we've done that were done by duos so people don't have to search very hard. Ill take a look at my channel and post some.

Well then to make it even easier maybe some of us could suggest songs we know we've done that were done by duos so people don't have to search very hard. Ill take a look at my channel and post some.

That is a fine idea! Also, songs about named duos - I don't think we've seen any of those yet - and songs with forms of the number 2 in their titles. Songs made popular by duos is only one of the options ... those are the others.

Everybody feel free to post links of videos you've done that meet one of those criteria that you'd love someone to add something to.

That is a fine idea! Also, songs about named duos - I don't think we've seen any of those yet - and songs with forms of the number 2 in their titles. Songs made popular by duos is only one of the options ... those are the others.

Everybody feel free to post links of videos you've done that meet one of those criteria that you'd love someone to add something to.

Ok my channel has 3 or 4 Everly Brother songs Ive done and I have a song called "Two Hoops and a Holler". Also Ian and Sylvia's "Someday Soon" done by TCK and I and there are loads of Lennon and McCartney songs everyone has done. I have some of those too on my channel and a whole past season of the White Stripes ( Jack and Meg White ) we've done.

I would be willing to bet everyone here has songs on their channels that could work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom