Season 237: Ukul-80s!

KoaDependent

Reaction score
Hi Gang!

I know most of you don't even know who I am, as I don't post very often, especially over the summer when I'm running a Shakespeare-in-the-Parks theater, but I've been hanging around since almost the beginning and playing at home every. single. week.

I've noticed that, although we've focussed on many different decades - 50s, 60s, 90s, contemporary - we've grossly overlooked the single most significant decade in musical history - THE 80s!

OK, you can stop laughing now.

Because this season begins on my birthday, as your present to me, I want you to bust out your big hair and skinny ties, your leg warmers and guy-liner and bring the the music you love from the 80s - whether it be New Wave, post-punk, hair metal or arena rock.

If you want to write an original, that's great, but tie it into the decade somehow - a personal experience from the time, or something about the people, events or culture of the decade.

I'm not a huge fan of rules in general, so we'll stick with the basics:
- begins at 12am Hawaii time on Sunday, August 28 and goes through the end of the day on Sunday, September 4. (that's how it works, right?)
- uke front and center
- new videos only - please slate the season # or name in the vid.

Otherwise, I'm not terribly concerned with when a particular song was written, recorded or charted. If you associate it with the 80's, that's good enough for me.

PRIZES:
- A Lanikai LU-21A uke (I said LU-11 in the vid). Yes, this your basic bog-standard starter uke, but maybe you need a beater. Maybe you want to give it to a kid. Maybe you want make modifications but don't want to risk it on an expensive custom.

Winner will be the player whose song most embodies the spirit of the 80s. What's that mean? I haven't the slightest idea yet, but I'll know it when I see it! Dress up, or just pick the cheesiest, most 80's-est song you can think of. Have fun.

- Second prize (not mentioned in the vid) will be a pack of Ken Middleton's Living Water strings, in the size of your choice.

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Brill. I loved the 80s music. I started the job I ended my career in 1980, I had a bit more money in my pocket and could afford to start buying records again. Old Grey Whistle Test on TV. Pet Shop Boys, Ultravox and Japan were my favourites but I loved the Synth Pop of that era.

Translating it to uke should be fun.

Not good on the political front, though. Thatcher and the miners strike made it an awful decade outside of the music.

This should be fun to see what people bring. Looking forward to seeing all you guys in your leg warmers, hot pink shirts and big hair :biglaugh:

Worth a shot. Lots of great musicians were working in the 80s. But anyone who can come up with some handy dandy links to 80s song lists would be highly appreciated to help finding those hidden gems.

From the man who gave us one of my favorite Seasons vids ever!
Hope you don't mind if I post this, it's so great! Hope I can find the time to participate this week.

The spirit of the Eighties ehh? You pose an interesting dilemma here. Started playing music in 1980 and performing and promoting musical venues soon after. There are plenty of good songs to come out of the decade and the new Vaudeville and Singer Song-writer revivals occurred then as well. Afro-Pop, World-Beat there is no shortage of songs to choose from; but to embody the spirit of the decade is another matter. There are so many contradictions in the decade that I doubt any one song will fill the bill. Well Challenge is part of the Seasonista's make up. This should prove a wild ride.

I wish you the best and great joy in your birthday Season. Thank you for hosting Brian!

I first learned that Ukulele Underground existed when Hank the Tank held a "Slave 4 New Wave" contest early in 2011. I stumbled across it on YouTube, posted a couple of videos, but didn't even know that you had to link the video onto the UU Forum thread to really be entered. This week will bring me full UU circle.

From the man who gave us one of my favorite Seasons vids ever!
Hope you don't mind if I post this, it's so great! Hope I can find the time to participate this week.

Wow. This was before I joined the Seasons. What an awesome vid, setting a high bar to surpass.

Happy Birthday a day early! This Season will be a blast.

There was a lot of great contemporay and traditional folk music in the eighties...I hope that counts...might bring me out of my sabitical from the seasons. And maybe a few other people too...

Cheers!

Any dang old thing you wanna do, long as it's from the decade of excess.

And thanks for that, Uke'daddy. I was real happy with how that track went down, but I always wanted to go back and redo the actual video.

As for song limits.... That's a good question. I'll do my best to keep up. If it's too much it may mean the wrap-ups a few more days later in coming. Let 'er fly.

Last edited:
Terrific video and great theme! To me, the 80s is "new stuff!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom