Season 263 Sun Record Artists

CeeJay

Probably one of my favourite Johnny Cash songs...apart ,of course, from all the other ones LOL

Harry122

Solid Citizen
UU VIP
Another Carl Perkins song. Indulge me as I experiment with 50s-style reverb and echo!

lelouden

I have to say today was fabulous. Thanks you each and every one of you that are making this season so much fun for me and I hope it is as equally as much fun for you too. We had 15 absolutely terrific song and two of them were done by ukulele groups. Awesome!
Now thats dedication!

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.23.39 PM.jpg

Here's hoping tomorrow brings us another fabulously entertaining day :)

redpaul1

Original Sun releases

Not a lot of new music has come out of Sun Records in my lifetime (I was born in 1972. Single number 1 from mom and dad) and I could not help but notice lots of folks are posting artists that appeared on Sun as re-issues.
Kind of a double edged sword really, because obviously when Sun re-issued material it had two choices. Either buy the rights to the original material (which they did not often do) or re-record the material. In many cases, in spite of questionable legality, the re-issue of a tune brought the artists (and the label) continued or greater revenue. In any event- A lot of the earlier contracts were just as shady and often exploited young artists...kind of what is going through my head as I plan to play for you a Merle Haggard and the Strangers tune (because I have not Hagged up a season in a while). Wondering if the contract the Merle entered into when this was originally recorded in 1965 on Capital may have been a little less than lucrative. That said, once the doors are flung wide on re-issues...well, we are gonna be here all night folks.

Bit late in the day, but here's a list of everything released by the Sun Record label, ordered by year of release (n.b. pages 10, 11 & 12 contain all the 'unknown' release dates). You can order by artist or title also. HTH.

Jazzbanjorex

JLL did this tune. It's one I've done a lot with the Dixieland band.

ddanner

UU VIP
Oops! Wish I'd commented last Sunday. it's been a super busy week, and I realized I have not been getting the UU posting notifications for 263! It IS a great theme, Linda and I've been missing-out not hearing yet all the fantastic stuff you've had rolling in! I will try to remedy that over the next couple of days, and hopefully get something done for it soon as well. Love that you got us back to the 50's! :music:

IamNoMan

"Blue Suede Shoes" - Carl Perkins was the King of Rockabilly. This one has been around the barn a couple of times this Season. To my mind Rockabilly is best served up in a jam. I do not play electric instruments nor am I skilled enough to play a song that is pretty much a single chord in any convincing fashion. This cover uses alternating tonics and Seventh Chords to overcome these issues. Let me know if it works.

turtledrum

Season 263. Submission 2. "Jambalaya" (Written by Hank Williams in 1952. Performed by Elvis Presley in 1975)

Linda, what a great week for music this has been! Finally this morning I was able to get it together enough to bring you another song. And why not celebrate that Fat Tuesday was this week, too!

This one is played on tenor uke, concert resonator uke, and soprano banjolele.

lelouden

Oops! Wish I'd commented last Sunday. it's been a super busy week, and I realized I have not been getting the UU posting notifications for 263! It IS a great theme, Linda and I've been missing-out not hearing yet all the fantastic stuff you've had rolling in! I will try to remedy that over the next couple of days, and hopefully get something done for it soon as well. Love that you got us back to the 50's! :music:

Thanks for the note Dennis. There are some real gems here. I hope you can make it :)

lelouden

Some fabulous stuff coming in this morning gang. Ill see you back here this afternoon. Keep em coming :)

UkingViking

Ukulele Fever

I finally finished a busy project at work at had time to record something this week. Put extra effort into it :)

I listened to a lot of Elvis Presley growing up.
My father had one Elvis LP, containing the most popular songs he recorded while he was at Sun Studios. He seldom put it on, but one time he did, I accicentially danced to it - which my parents told my uncle, who then gave me all his old Elvis music tapes.

That made me listen a lot more Elvis Presley songs. The one I cover here he did not record at Sun Studios - but it is one I have been wanting to multitrack for quite a while: Fever.

IamNoMan

Here is a song covered by many Sun Records Musicians, including Elvis, Johnny Cash and David Allan Coe.