Season 263 Sun Record Artists

It just occurred to me (through the power of reading) that this was inspired by the mini-series and that Johnny's Birthday was coincidental. Made me laugh

It just occurred to me (through the power of reading) that this was inspired by the mini-series and that Johnny's Birthday was coincidental. Made me laugh

Yes, I feel so stupid that I didn't realize it was Johnny Cash's Birthday anniversary. You people are really bringing the best of Johnny. So far this week he is the star!

Not a lot of new music has come out of Sun Records in my lifetime (I was born in 1972. Single number 1 from mom and dad) and I could not help but notice lots of folks are posting artists that appeared on Sun as re-issues.
Kind of a double edged sword really, because obviously when Sun re-issued material it had two choices. Either buy the rights to the original material (which they did not often do) or re-record the material. In many cases, in spite of questionable legality, the re-issue of a tune brought the artists (and the label) continued or greater revenue. In any event- A lot of the earlier contracts were just as shady and often exploited young artists...kind of what is going through my head as I plan to play for you a Merle Haggard and the Strangers tune (because I have not Hagged up a season in a while). Wondering if the contract the Merle entered into when this was originally recorded in 1965 on Capital may have been a little less than lucrative. That said, once the doors are flung wide on re-issues...well, we are gonna be here all night folks.
In any event- I ADORE Merl...and I was lucky enough to see him about a week before he passed away, but I can be honest with myself. The original recording of this from 1965 compared to the re-recorded Sun release in 2006. Well, no contest, but at least he was still putting it out there. Little tune Liz Anderson wrote, and folks- go check out her version because that one rarely gets played and it is wonderful.

We had 15 songs today and each song touched a different emotion. I couldn't be more please tonight as I close out the day. Johnny Cash was the most submitted star today and so each and every one of you are worthy of some cash. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

gallery_hero_il_fullxfull.623608814_gact.jpg

First chance I've had to pop online all week, fab theme Linda full of my Idols so will have to get something in before the weeks out.
I had the privilege of meeting Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana (Elvis's guitarist and drummer in the early days/ Sun sessions ) back in 93 at an Elvis convention in Norfolk, England. A local rockabilly band were really stoked to have Scotty play with them........the dream guitarist eh. :cool:

Last edited:
A little country tune "I Forgot to Remember to Forget" by Stan Kesler and Charlie Feathers was quite popular in the 1950s. Sun Records artists Elvis, Barbara Pittman and Johnny Cash made their own versions of the song.

First chance I've had to pop online all week, fab theme Linda full of my Idols so will have to get something in before the weeks out.
I had the privilege of meeting Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana (Elvis's guitarist and drummer in the early days/ Sun sessions ) back in 93 at an Elvis convention in Norfolk, England. A local rockabilly band were really stoked to have Scotty play with them........the dream guitarist eh. :cool:

Thats a great story mark. Im looking forward to what you bring :)

And now for something completely different,,, One chord Folsom Prison Blues.

I've been listening to the original Million Dollar Quartet jam session this morning. The album is an impromptu session recorded when the Presley, Lewis, Perkins and Cash happened to be in the studio at the same time. Most of the recording is of gospel music. Most of the recordings are of Elvis singing lead with Jerry Lee Lewis adding in his style in a higher harmony, Carl Perkins on lead guitar and vocals, and Johnny Cash. There is some question as to Cash really being there. He states in his autobiography that he is there and farthest away from the mic. If he is there he isn't detectable. Others take from the recording that it was just the three because Marion Keisker refers to Presley, Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis as 'the three rovers' at some point in the taping.

I love listening to artist in a real setting where they are having conversations about how they have heard someone else deliver a song and what they took from it. They are laughing and playing off of one another and it is real. Real music. Elvis definitely upstages with an attempt from Jerry Lee to keep up. Perkins really shows off his guitar skills.

Here is a one that does sound to me like Cash is detectable at :44, but it could easily be someone else and it is one that is a complete song. So many of them are songs jumping from one song to another after the first verse.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

This song was a 1956 Sun Records hit for Roy Orbison. It was also the first earth song played to the Vulcans in the year 2063, as shown in the true documentary film, "Star Trek: First Contact." I plugged in for this one!

Jimmie Rodgers wrote this song in 1928 and many artists covered it ...so did Merle Haggard. I offer you my version of his take

Written and recorded by Roger Miller in 1965, this song captured the spirit of mid-Sixties England. (I do not, of course, remember the Sixties myself .... I think my grandparents might have told me about them!) Miller worked as a recording artist for Sun Records at some time in his career.

Ugh...as the video title says, the nut on my Mandolin cracked last night during a rousing late night rendition of "The Irish Rover" and I am despondent because I cannot practice it until the new nut material gets here, and I get it shaped, and re-set up the Mando...which I have never done. Not a happy camper.
That darn thing...it sure is a heart breaker. Oh well. Sounds better in it's bag then it does in my hands.
Here is a song the was recorded on my mom's 8th Birthday at Sun Studios. December 8, 1954, by Mister Elvis Presley. Release was the 28th of the same month and year, as Sun Single#215

Last edited:
Top Bottom