Season 274 - The Songs Stuck In My Head

ok, i was looking for songs with a bit of misery in the title, having just come from eurovision :( and i found this, a song from the older shows companion thread , "oh that's nice" episode, "96 tears" by ? and the mysterians

And a few from the right stuff, just to keep Sean busy. Low hanging fruit salad ;) songs not about cows heads.

Well I'm gonna hit the sack, but boy did you folks bring in the first day of 274 with a bang! If the rest of the week sets up like today did I'll be in hog heaven. We started the day and ended the day with songs from the Bap Kennedy show I did last year, titled The Right Stuff, and in-between you all brought forth such an incredible array of genres. This is just so much fun. Here's the second round of comments. Can't wait for tomorrow! And remember, you can always send me a message if you want or need any suggestions.

AlanDP - I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow
yep, looks like you are pretty familiar with this tune. You laid this down very nicely. I just love the harp you put in there. Sweet.

pabrizzer - Lonesome Train On A Lonesome Track
Great little boogie you've got going on the Brian. This is just what I was hoping would happen this week; folks putting their own stamp on these songs I love. I really like what you did here. This song was played on the second radio show I ever did called All Aboard. Thanks Brian!

turtle drum - One Fine Day
Oh wow! I love what you did with this tune! I've always loved this song for its uptempo doo wop feeling, but you gave this a whole new dimension and made me see it in a brand new light. Thanks!

hendulele - Get Out Of Denver
Alright! This one burns rubber for sure. You got those lyrics out lickity split! Excellent choice. I really enjoyed this one.

TCK - Ten Penny Nail
Now that is what I call digging deep! I say any songs you play from shows not listed you're gonna have to put that show up on Podomatic, 'cause I want to hear this show!!! Excellent stuff Dave. As always, I'm learning something new from you.

Recovering Bassist - Understand Your Man
Dr. Phil! LOL. This is just great. Pulled from TCK's Johnny Cash show. You've got some skills on that four string. Loved this!

bird’s eye view of my ukulele - 96 Tears
Hell expletive yes! First of all, this is one of my favorite songs, secondly it's from one of my favorite shows I ever did, and lastly this is awesome! Your minimalist take really brings out the sorrow in this tune. So good.

Jazzbanjorex - It’s The Same Old Song
TCK is gonna lose it over this, he loves The Four Tops. This is fabulous Rex. I love how you got that intro melody right into the strum. Sounds great!

TCK - I Saw The Light
You know how to get to me. Too bad you can't see the huge smile on my face right now. TCK doing Bap Kennedy doing Hank? Does it get any better? Thanks for this mate. I don't know if you've checked out Bap's album Hillbilly Shakespeare but the whole album is nothing but Hank Williams covers.

I love themes where folks can choose from many different genres. A problem this week will be narrowing down which songs to pick. there are SO many great choices. I went with a country song for starters.

Believe it or not when I did the Boardwalk Empire week it was a toss up between
doing that and doing a calypso week. Lots of music genres have been covered
on the seasons but Lord Kitchener, and Mighty Sparrow would certainly
have been an education. Wonderful bum bum lyrics and danceable beats.

Now there is real happy music, so I was happy to see Hog inna me cocoa
and Mento and the nod towards Calypso. Wind it up mama.

One reason I missed your Season was I'd gone down this seemingly endless rabbit-hole trying to prepare for the 'reggae rhythms' workshop at GNUF. What had sent me down there? Trying to establish exactly how to play calypso - as Myrna, Alan & pretty much any Seasonista who was there will confirm!!
I received a brilliant education on the topic from Dirk from Southcoast strings, but finally got to the bottom of the matter via one snippet in a google book preview, a couple of drum forums and a djembe and and a bongo drum YT tutorial. The results of all my researches I've posted here, but long story short: the calypso strum doesn't give you a calypso beat.

From the Blowing My Mind to Pieces 2 playlist. I knew as soon as I saw it there I was going to do it. Smallish confession, I had already played this tune quite a few times but this is the first time I've recorded it. I knew it initially from the Soft Cell version I'd danced to many times in my youth. It was a few years before I heard the Gloria Jones original, although I knew it was a big hit on the Northern Soul circuit. Sad to say there are no Northern Soul dance moves in this video. Feel free though to get the talc out and do a few spins in the kitchen or front room or wherever.

My plan is to do one of the very fine reggae tunes off the playlists next. I do love a bit of reggae and ska.

Last edited:
Whisky in my Whisky (SOTU 274) Felice Bros Cover

Felice Bros giving their ladies the gun... shooting the ladies down.
From Demon Alcohol 2

Last edited:
A traditional Sailor's and drinkingsong. "All for Me Grog" was collected by Kidson and Moffatfrom a Yorkshire sailor and publish in English Peasnt Songs in 1929.The Sydney Bulletin published in Australia a version in 1916. Thesong dates from sometime after 1740 and the War of Jenkin's Ear. ViceAdmiral Sir Edward Vernon, England's hero of the 1739 War OfJenkins's Ear, was nicknamed Old Grog because of an impressive grogamcloak he wore on deck in all weather. In 1740 with half thepunishments handed down by the Brittish Navy involved drunkeness, OldGrog issued an order, to curb the drunkness on board ships of his owncommand, that rum be diluted with water, 1/2 pint rations, split tobe given 6 hrs apart, in anger & protest this mix bares hisnickname, this became the ration for the Royal Navy. Rum will alsonot stay long after being watered down, so there'd be no use to try &save up rations.

Ba Ba Boom Time

From 1967 and SSIMH's "Wise Men of Rocksteady", hosted by the Happy Hooker's virtuous twin & first broadcast on Jun 9 2016 - the Jamaicans!!

The sediments expressed in this song are from the bottom of the barrel so i don't know why I like it.
I see a fine version by Rob and Myrna's beaut version was the first introduction to it so it is new to me.
So here's the third round ....

Last edited:
From the show. "The Door Is Still Open." Featuring Kevin, the Space Ape.

My last second decision to go for a high note on the end here was a bit of an ill fated one....I could hit better it if I was standing up and in the moment, but.....lol

Demon Alcohol. From the Kinks, who knew something about it. If you haven't heard "Muswell Hillbiliies," you should. That is all.

Top Bottom