Season 491 - Absolute Rubbish

RAB11

Reaction score
Gonna do this quickly because it's half time...

WELCOME TO SEASON 490! (Got the bloody title wrong....)

Was hoping to announce the theme by playing Suede's Trash for the open mic but England had other plans.

This theme is about rubbish, trash, garbage, the discarded, forgotten and cast aside. Anything where the song title, lyrics or band name links with that theme is fair game.

Originals are very much encouraged, as are collaborations. My door is open if you'd like to collaborate with me too.

For prizes I'm taking a page out of Del and Lynda's book. I released an album digitally last week, and i should take delivery of the CDs this week! Three lucky (!) people will be drawn out of a hat to receive one!

All kicks off midnight Hawaii time as usual.

AND ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SLABHEAD! IT'S COMING HOME!

P L A Y L I S T

Last edited:
Wow ... 4-0! (At the moment, that is!) I had a bet with myself that we wouldn't hear anything from you till the match was actually OVER! And what an excellent, waste-related theme, Ryan! Back to the match ....

I released an album digitally last week, and i should take delivery of the CDs this week! Three lucky (!) people will be drawn out of a hat to receive one!

I was looking on iTunes at new releases last night, and I thought to search for RABB. They have your new album.

I was looking on iTunes at new releases last night, and I thought to search for RABB. They have your new album.

Brilliant, I've been having trouble when searching for RABB. Who knew there were so many musical Rabbi?

... is it my singing that's rubbish?
... is it my uke playing skills that are a bit rubbish?
... it could be either ... but in reality it's the band who wrote this that are Garbage

Thornton rule here.

The fish is not fresh. So I let it out of my head.

Some noodling with digital doodling.

Thanks for hosting Ryan.

Hello, Ryan, and thanks for hosting this week! I found this song today and it seems very appropriate for the week ... actually, it's more of a poem than a song, but there WERE chords for it, so I did it as a song.

Short of ideas? Don't worry! There's always a Half Man Half Biscuit song. It's not a physical item being discarded here, except possibly his guitar, but Adam Boyle Has Cast Lad Rock Aside:

I have no idea who Adam Boyle is. I suspect they made him up, although I see a couple of candidates on wikipedia.

It turned out I skipped a bar between verses so the timing isn't quite right for the synthy bit. I'd rerecord it, but who has time for that... you'll never notice if I don't tell you, so I'll just keep that to myself.

I onder if we'll see a version of Alice's Restaurant this week? I don't have the energy.

Heh, I wondered that as well. I'm also hoping someone will do The Wombling Song, if anyone fancies it...

Cheers for hosting this one Ryan. Pseudo friendships are disposable when there Is nothing left to offer and nothing left to take.

Last edited:
Last week I was trying to do The Boxer but I couldn't quite work it out in time, then John (Flatbaroque) did an excellent version so I decided to save it for another time. I just decided I wanted to record it now anyway, and was planning to put it on the Island, when I sang the line "I have squandered my resistance". "Aha!", I thought. "Squandered! That'll do!". And then, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. There's all sorts being discarded here after all!

I suppose the boxer is also something of a discarded, forgotten, and cast aside character himself. I read that when Paul Simon wrote it he was feeling rather beaten up, so it's somewhat autobiographical.

Anyway, I hope that's enough that this one qualifies! I suppose I can also play the Thornton card.

I don't have a snare drum and a lift shaft, so a tambourine and ludicrous amounts of reverb will be the closest I can get. You can also hear me repeatedly hitting a wooden frog if you listen carefully.

Top Bottom