Season 494: Dedicate/Celebrate

My contribution this week was written with a specific person in mind (who I won't name here) but I could really dedicate it to a lot of my friends who have passed the "60" Barrier and are more worried about it than celebratory.

Hope you enjoy:

Hello, one more time, Jon! I found this song quite by accident when, in search of a cricket song, a particularly salacious ditty to the tune of "Waltzing Matilda" by England's "Barmy Army" led me on to Australian cricket anthems. I dedicate it to Mein Host and Opening Bat, and indeed to Brian, John, James and all the other Aussies here ... my apologies for the appalling accent!

If I coukld do nothign else but play basketball all day long, that's what I would do.

This song is a twofer, it’s both a dedicate and a celebrate. My dad passed away in 2016 and this one is dedicated to him. He gave me my first guitar and a love and appreciation for music. As the song says, we taught each other a lot in our time together. What I wouldn’t give for just one more jam session with him.

Okay, in the first day or so, I mentioned that I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a baseball game...

So I set it to music.

This song about unconditional love is dedicated to my family. Won't get a chance to do another so cheers for a blinding week Jon x

adore these songs from the last day.
thank you folks for the laughs, the loves, the memories, the whimsy.
beautiful.
xo

I'll dedicate this one to myself. At nearly 50 years old, I'm still struggling to learn to love myself, to be the person I hope to be, and to deal with life's big (and little) challenges.

Also, I'm short and I'm terrible at playing basketball.

Luckily, back in 1995, Skee-Lo released a very catchy hip hop song in which he shares his own vulnerability, and Skee-Lo's lyrics give anyone struggling to be who we wish we could be some funky compassion and danceable understanding.

Anyone for ski-jumping?

This one was written by our very own John - One Man And His Uke. Pretty sure it is the only song I have heard about this sport, but maybe our Finnish friends can find some more.

And for you Jon, played on that wonderful old Johnny Marvin uke you sent my way all those years ago...

Ha ha, thanks Steve, I had almost forgotten this one. I feel honoured that you chose to play it for this season, and on that wonderful sounding uke Jon sent you just makes it even more special. Cheers mate

I dedicate the song to my parents.
After months of declining health, several scans and bone marrow tests, last Friday my dad was finally diagnosed with leukemia. Last week he already was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia and aspergillus, so high dose chemotherapy is currently impossible. The doctors immediately started a low dose chemo, and hopefully this will keep the cancer in check, whilst the antibiotics and antifungal medications help with his lungs. Hopefully, then they will be able to tackle the leukemia full blast.

My mum is obviously very worried, though she's also relieved now that he's been diagnosed.

Sheet music: https://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/sites/default/files/collection-pdfs/levy-028-010.pdf
Cornell University Big Red Football team: https://cornellbigred.com/sports/football

couldn't have scripted a more perfect way for the season to roll out than w/ Ralf's and Sabine's songs
a wonderful week of music
your dedications were lovely, your songs about sport, fun and always surprising
i'm very grateful
enjoy season 495 and thank you everyone
that's a wrap
xo

Jon, what a week, I salute you, sir. Thank you for the thoughtful comments and for the creative theme. I hope to see you over on 495…
:- D

Your friend and fellow music lover, Liz

Last edited:
Top Bottom