Season 494: Dedicate/Celebrate

joo

I really like the songs that Jon had shared with us including that hilarious live commentary for a cricket match!
Didn't know there were all these cool songs that mention sports. They are all great songs, to me.
When i hosted 2 weeks ago, i was sharing at least 1 outside video a day. I wanted to share songs or videos that were related to the theme, which i also enjoyed.
Actually, i was encouraging everyone to share what they liked too. Brian (pabrizzer) shared with us a duo Eagle and the Wolf, which was
a good discovery for me.
It is all about music, isn't it?
Um..perhaps i got a bit over enthusiastic again this week and shared that song called Cricket, Lovely Cricket, which is an Outside video.
(I promise i won't screen dump several more...not even one more. Yes, i think maybe only the host should have such privileges)

Let the host decide how he or she think is a good way to encourage us.
(It was a little quiet before Jon started sharing all those videos)
Especially when he was only sharing good music, why not?

If they are not your cup of tea, don't have to listen to the whole thing.
If there is a guitar song you like that has been shared by the host, then do a uke version for us.

If you would like to set rules that you think will best display or encourage the "spirit of the seasons", please give up some of your time and sign up to be a host. It is a lot of fun. (I am not being sarcastic)

Last edited:

Jim Yates

Well, I can see that most folks don't mind the non-uke outside videos as long as they're related to the theme, so, as I said in my last post, I can live with it. I certainly didn't mean to attack Jon, in fact I didn't even notice who had posted the videos, just that they weren't being played by Seasonistas.

mountain goat

i totally understand what you're saying Jim and i don't disagree.
my purpose in posting those songs, given that the week has had so few performances from seasons folk,
was 1. to keep a slow moving, almost stagnant thread active and alive (case in point; not a single post
on the season in the past 24 hours) and to 2. hopefully encourage
people to maybe hear, enjoy and learn a song they may not have been previously familiar w/
and in so doing, perhaps motivate them to make a new recording for the week.
these songs of course will not be on the playlist.
cheers mate. i appreciate the discussion, the thoughts of those who have contributed to it.
back to the music!
xo

lizbrinker

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Be warned, the song I am hoping to post tomorrow will be almost seven (7) minutes long :- 0
I apologize in advance. I would like to make a premature dedication to the patient, to the kind, to the glutton for punishment.

This has been a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Yours in ukulele love,
Liz (Safley Brinker variety)

mountain goat

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Be warned, the song I am hoping to post tomorrow will be almost seven (7) minutes long :- 0
I apologize in advance. I would like to make a premature dedication to the patient, to the kind, to the glutton for punishment.

This has been a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Yours in ukulele love,
Liz (Safley Brinker variety)

lol Liz. can't wait!!!!! :biglaugh:

Jim Yates

Here's a Canadian Classic from a Canadian Icon: Stompin' Tom Connors' The Hockey Song

Stompin' Tom.jpg
Stompin' Tom was never on stage without a piece of plywood that he'd keep time on with his cowboy boots.

Last edited:

mountain goat

thank you Jim and Lynda for these two beautiful songs today.
as a big ice hockey fan i loved the Tom Connors' song, Jim
and Lynda, your original song was poignant and deeply moving.
stilled me in those moments to reflect.
xo

YorkSteve

I'm not a moderator really...
Staff member
UU VIP
Anyone for ski-jumping?

This one was written by our very own John - One Man And His Uke. Pretty sure it is the only song I have heard about this sport, but maybe our Finnish friends can find some more.

And for you Jon, played on that wonderful old Johnny Marvin uke you sent my way all those years ago...

YorkSteve

I'm not a moderator really...
Staff member
UU VIP
and this piece of comedy gold from Kerry O' Keefe
in live commentary of a cricket test match a few years back

OK - I just watched this and now I have tears running down my face.

kolibri

out of tune
UU VIP
The Skaters' Waltz (1882) by Emile Waldteufel. Arrangement by Goschenhobel

No ski-jumping song from me this week, sorry Steve. But there are several ski-jumping songs in Finnish, and the the ski-jumping champion Matti Nykanen had a singing career after he retired from sports ("Only A Ski-Jumper Knows This", "V Style", "Ski-Jumping Eagle And Jailbird" etc). :)

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
There's plenty of stars of track and field at the Olympics, so here's a cover of the opening track on Belle and Sebastian's excellent second album, "If You're Feeling Sinister" which is all about them. Kind of. Featuring an 8 string baritone ukulele, and overdubs of a concert ukulele.

lizbrinker

Ok, folks, gird your loins. 6:45. Feel free to scroll on.

Hi Jon! Here is my Celebrate song. As a child, my strongest memories of the Olympic games were of Olga Korbut, Nadia Comaneci and Dorothy Hamill. Young women doing absolutely miraculous things with their bodies. This song is from The Decemberists, from their 2003 album, Her Majesty.

The Gymnast, High Above The Ground
Colin Meloy, 2003

A possible explanation of the lyrics I found online:
“I think this song is about a love that will never be. The "best friend" who watches the blossoming 18teen year old neighbor go off to college only to return the following summer. He watches her from a distance (maybe through the curtains of his house), but she always seems to come back to her home and to him (her best friend). The Tarlatan holes could be the slightly spread cloth curtains. April may be her name or the last and long month before she returns in May. The gymnast (or the girl) is viewed and admired from a distance and he feels like he is the lighthouse leading her back home, when in fact she has started to forget about him.”-StockinBrock on songmeanings.com

Last edited:

mythinformed

Cheers for hosting this one Jon. My younger brother and I were chatting the other night about the high young male suicides in the UK and in his profession he is generally one of the first on scene to these suicides and does the cutting down, untying ,mopping up and removing (obviously funeral directors) of these poor kids etc. We were talking anyway and It just got me thinking that If only they knew that most of these problems and being in a bad place mostly pass and that the next day or the next week everything could turn around and change and they will come out the other side. I guess my songs dedicated to those suffering such mental anguish and giving a clear message of hope that there Is light after darkness.

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Rather than "Centerfield," which seems an obvious pick for me, here's a Warren Zevon song about a boxer who had a cloud over his career. WZ plays some fiery gittar on the original.

Jim Yates

Well, the Canadian women's Soccer (Football) team just took the GOLD medal. I guess I'd better look for a soccer song.

Coach talking to team.jpg
"All right guys,
Get out there and play like girls!"

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to inform you the wrapup video for Season 489 (eek) is finally up. See if you’re a winner! I’ll wait …

Now go play some sportsball for jon!

mountain goat

what a superb collection of songs in this past day.
thank you Steve, Brian, Ylle, Edwin, Liz, Mark and Rick.
very grateful to each of you.
xo

mythinformed

This ones dedicated to the Seasons forums and everyone who participates because no matter the spats or disagreements over the years we still survive and we all keep coming back to share our mutual love of this little Instrument and share our songs. (The similarities outweigh the differences) Here's to another 494 seasons (plus some) of this Wonder wall of creative energy, frustration and emotional rollercoaster we call the seasons.

Last edited: