Season 498: We Will Mend It

Charley B

some pilots' gallows-humour from both world wars ... repairing shot-down planes with the parts removed from their pilot's bodies

Last edited:

TCK

Kinda digging this fancy new board…have not done this in a while but I think I had best explain what got me to this song…so here we go.
<TCK RULE>I chose a song here that was first recorded in 1973 by Bob Marley and the Wailers, and produced by Lee Scratch Perry. It is about destroying something…but not really. Anyway, Lee Scratch Perry passed away today having impacted music well outside of Jamaican circles (he was well known for sampling parts of records and splicing them together…sound familiar?) but alas, he is gone and we certainly can’t fix that.
At the heart of this song is an African proverb, and this is how I ended up here. “If you are a big tree, we are a small axe.” Basically, change can come about no matter how unlikely through a series of small sustained actions.
Now, I just played a song- as will many of you today, and I think we like to see that act as a small change. If we can make someone smile, we have done what we set out to do- right?
Well, the change this song is directed at is as you can imagine a lot bigger than that…what needed fixing was a system that oppressed many. Steve McQueen made a brilliant set of short films about the West Indians in London throughout the 60s and 70s and what their lives were like, and used this song as its title and opening track. It’s really a very good set of films (and if you like reggae- amazing).
Well, we still have a long way to go in fixing systemic racism all over the world, but I like to think that fix will eventually come about through a series of small, sustained actions. On to the song </TCK RULE>

wee_ginga_yin

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.

FIXED

Tootler

I wrote this song a few years ago and I like to try and bring it at this time of year. It's a song of ending and also of the potential for a new beginning. Lyrics and chords are in the YT description.

Marcsuke

SOTU 498 - "Then Came Lo Mein" - Robert Earl Keen (1997) - Robert Earl is a master at combining the personal with the mundane and this song is a great example. It's about having a nervous breakdown in an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant and moving on afterward. Big thanks once again to the fab Liz Brinker for collaborating. Incidentally, I happen to like Lo Mein...

lizbrinker

Hello, Edwin!
This one is for you, from 🐭Liz & 🐭Del
It turns out the mice from Bagpuss have names: Charlie Mouse, Jenny Mouse, Janey Mouse, Lizzy Mouse, Eddie Mouse and Willy Mouse. They will mend it.

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Well I'm up late today trying to fix some software but it's definitely time to stop and listen to some music now. And what a marvellous mixture we've had for day two! Thanks everyone! I believe the playlist is up to date and I've commented on everything but please shout if I've missed something and I'll repair it.

I will be singing the mouse round to myself as I continue with my debugging, that will certainly help. In the mean time, here's some chocolate biscuits for everyone:

lizbrinker

Busy music day for me. This song is from The Bee Gees, but many know it from Rev. Al Green. Side note, the paint color I chose for my basement I chose strictly on the fact that it was called Al Green on the paint chip. I'm not kidding. It was a mistake. I don't recommend doing that. Anyway, this is a song I love and I hope you will enjoy it. Oh, and I saw not only The Bee Gees, but also Andy Gibb in concert in my youth. I was less crowd-averse then.

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?
Barry and Robin Gibb

lizbrinker

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.

FIXED

Rob, I really enjoyed your When I Grow Too Old To Dream. It’s beautiful. Comments are turned off.

Desert Pavement

UU VIP
UU VIP
When digging through my crate of Al after this past Saturday's open mic and was reminded of this one off of Running With Scissors. Definitely falls towards the literal end of the Season's thematic spectrum.

Thanks for hosting Edwin. I hope you're debugging went ok.

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Here is a new Country Song I wrote especially for this Season, featuring my Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor and my lovely Hartwood Revival 355 Copy (with Band in a Box providing the backing).

The protagonist is attempting to repair his life after a messy divorce by starting a relationship with someone who is also a survivor of a nasty divorce. He has some advice for them both.

Hope you enjoy:

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP

FIXED

You've got comments turned off on this one, Rob, did you know?

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Thanks for hosting Edwin. I hope you're debugging went ok.
There's an old story (told about lots of people, so it's probably a myth) about the engineer who fixes a machine by hitting it with a hammer, then sends a bill for $5000. When questioned by the customer and asked for an itemised bill, the Engineer writes "Hitting the machine with a hammer: $5. Knowing where to hit: $4995". I think I've got as far as working out where to hit it with the hammer, at least...

I've just listened to today's submissions so far, and I'm looking foward to hearing some more. Nice to see all the different interpretations of the theme, from the most literal, to the more metaphorical. Great stuff everyone! (I nearly wrote "great work" but this isn't meant to be work is it :)).

Joko

I could have learned to play the solo bit. It's not that complicated a walk down... but getting a video on PAGE 2... on Tuesday! I couldn't pass it up.