Season 501 - Forever In Blue Jeans

Hi Bob! I've been out of pocket for a while, but I'm so happy to be back in the mix. I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my well-worn jeans on this one from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, but I hope you will forgive me. One of Joseph's treacherous brothers went on to share his name with a future Dungaree King.

Jacob And Sons
Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Webber

You probably didn't expect to hear two of this one, but here goes. I learned about this song from a podcast called Rare & Scratchy Rock & Roll. Originally a commercial jingle for Brutus Jeans, it was turned into a pop hit by David Dundas. It went to #3 in the U.K. and #17 in the U.S. in 1976.
This was the only song that I could think of and I started on a pattern that mimics the piano notes. But then I was smart enough to see if this was already there. Thanks for getting me off the hook there. Will wait for another season.

here is an original, with the lyrics in the video description. I also made some paintings for this.
Big Thank You to Jon for adding melody and soft picking to this.

“Having Christmas in my overalls” was a phrase used by rural folks (primarily African-Americans) to say they were too poor to afford decent clothes for church services. It’s in a lot of blues songs and is in this version of what might be the most-recorded song by the Mississippi Sheiks.

I admittedly struggled to find a song to play. I considered "Mom Jeans," which is great name for a band, but... I was so disappointed that they didn't have a song called "Mom Dancing" that I decided to looked further. Then I considered Bowie's "Jean Genie," but... I never was much for glitter rock and roll. And so it went for much of the week. Finally I thought of this Kris Kristofferson song, which Janis Joplin made a bit more famous, and decided I'd play it if no one beat me to it by Saturday....

I've been pretty heavily into Tin Pan Alley era music for a while now, and I figured since blue jeans were invented some time around 1870, somebody had to have written a song about them by the early 1900s. So here's one I found about a girl who singer nicknamed Blue Jeans from 1920.

I couldn't think of what song to do. Then I was listening to a playlist of my favorite songs so far in 2021, and the first line of this song mentioned jeans. This is a song by Jade Bird, whose two albums have provided lots of very catchy songs in the past few years. She has a great voice, sung with such a convincing touch of country twang that I was very surprised to find out a few months ago that she's British. If you haven't heard her songs "Lottery" and "I Get No Joy", I recommend giving them a listen.

I don't mention exactly what the blue jeans connection is this Rush tune I butcher, so I leave it to you to puzzle out.

Top Bottom