Season #502 - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!

Canada Jim

Reaction score
Welcome to SOTU #502 - Parodies "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!" September 26

I hope this hasn't been done recently. I know it hasn't been done since I became a Seasonista.

Homer Haynes and Jethro Burns, Homer & Jethro, were the masters at taking well known songs and writing new messages to the tunes. As school kids, we all knew playground parodies of commercials and Christmas carols:

I hate Bosco, it's no good for me
Mama puts it in my milk to try and poison me
But I fooled Mama, I put some in her tea
Now I have no Mama to try and poison me.

As shepherds washed their socks by night
All seated round the tub. . .

I'm sure we all know a few parodies that we could share this season, either humorous or serious, but if you don't know any, feel free to write a parody of your own.

Thanks to Melanie Safka for the use of the title of her 1972 song to use as the title of this season.

A few guidelines:
-Ukulele should play a prominent role
-Other instruments and collaborations are welcome
-One song/day limit
-New songs made for this season, unless you have a note from your doctor (Rob)
-Please include the title & composer of the song that is being parodied
-Usual start and stop times - 12:00 am Hawaii Time, 26 September, is the opening bell for contributions.

I'll start us off with Bob Blue's parody of Paul Anka's My Way that he calls I Did It Their Way.
I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Here's the song list. I think I've got it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-OvkpXBulfr_-FzS6LcpvbpWZFWT-DMm

Season #501 wrap is up. Thanks Bob and congratulations Steve. I think I'll stay in my blue jeans.

Last edited:
Ooh, YES!!! Now this is fun ... parody time!!!

What?! No mention of Weird Al in the description?! 😊

Haha- I jumped over Weird Al (though my fathers obsession with him amuses me greatly) who is from my generation, and went immediately to a parodist from my dads generation. Of course, the Modern Major General (see what I did) of the science classroom is now nagging away at me. My students do it every year for extra credit (well, some of them)...I might have to give it go ;)

Haha- I jumped over Weird Al (though my fathers obsession with him amuses me greatly) who is from my generation, and went immediately to a parodist from my dads generation. Of course, the Modern Major General (see what I did) of the science classroom is now nagging away at me. My students do it every year for extra credit (well, some of them)...I might have to give it go ;)

When Maggie and I put our LP collections together, we both had Tom Lehrer LPs. A few decades later, we bought the complete Tom Lehrer boxed CD set.
Tom Lehrer.jpg
I just got this out for the first time in years and discovered that one of the CDs is missing.

I recall Sheldon Cooper singing a much slower version on The Big Bang Theory.

Ah wis standing on the corner
when I hear ma jack russell terrier bark
he wis barking et twa men
gamblin' doon Kelvin Park

Slasher Brown and Wee Bigsby
Wur twa men whae wur gambling late
Slasher he threw seven
Bigsby swore he threw eight

Slasher ses tae Bigsby
I can't let ye away wi' that
Y'ive got awe ma dole money
and ma Rangers Burberry hat.

Slasher he went hame
Got his golf club far behint the door
Ses ah'm gane doon the Saracen Heid
Ta pay the debt A'h owe

Slasher went inta the barroom
wae his golf club in his hand
Look straight at Wee Bigsby
and ses you'r a deid man.

Bigsby ses tae Slasher
please don't take ma life
cos a'hve got the bairns
and a lovely wee wife.

Slasher swung that golf club
twice aroon his heid
then he whacked Wee Bigsby
who fell doon deid

Noo the moral o' this story
is tae leave the gamblin alane
stay was yer wife and bairns
Just stay right at hame.

Thanks for stepping up Jim. I have taken upon myself to bring about a collaboration between Dr Seuss and Leonard Cohen. Music LC's Suzanne. Lyrics 80% Dr Seuss , 10% Leonard Cohen, 10% Me.

Right from their first days on Rutland Weekend Television, has there ever been another 'parody' like The Rutles that was so good? (i don't even like using the word in relation to them)
With Neil Innes writing the songs, it may even be not much of a stretch to say that the talent is not that far behind the Lennon/McCartney originals ...

Last edited:
"Last Thing On My Mind" is a beautiful, sad, song by Tom Paxton. It's one of those songs of his that sounds like it's always existed, and sometimes it's even mistaken for a traditional folk song. I went to see him a few times in the early 2000s and one time after performing it he said, "You've got to hear this, I found it on the internet!" and then sang this version:

Perhaps one week there'll be an opportunity to bring the original :). But it's nice to know this one has the blessing of the original artist!

Another time (or maybe it was the same time) he told the story of his daughter hearing someone sing it in a pub in St Andrews, where she studied, and she went up to the singer and said, "Thanks for singing that, my dad wrote it!"
"No he didn't"
"Yes he did!"
"Who is your dad anyway?"
"Tom Paxton"
"Hmmm, well, he might have written it..."

Given that I've often been to pub gigs in St Andrews, I wonder if I know the person responsible - I don't suppose I'll ever find out...

OK, I will have a go.

This week, there has been a bit of hoarding of petrol as there were reports in the media of a shortage. I had to go to fill up yesterday and there were people trying to fill jerry cans. There must be a lot of anxiety in the country at the minute.

There's a bit of a blooper at the end, but I have to start work now. Lovely diversion for an hour though! Have a great week, folks! And don't try to fill up your wheelie bin with petrol, it's probably really dangerous.

Oh, and the song is Prince/Sinead O'Connor's "nothing compares 2 u".

Last edited:
The Argapa’s sounding lovely Chris, enjoyed the song too. I was low on fuel so went to fill up my car yesterday - complete with an empty can for petrol for the mower - my local garages were sold out so now it’s bike or walk to wherever I need until this foolishness (panic buying of much more than you actually need) is over. Human nature, sometimes it sucks.

Ah wis standing on the corner
when I hear ma jack russell terrier bark
he wis barking et twa men
gamblin' doon Kelvin Park

Slasher Brown and Wee Bigsby
Wur twa men whae wur gambling late
Slasher he threw seven
Bigsby swore he threw eight

Slasher ses tae Bigsby
I can't let ye away wi' that
Y'ive got awe ma dole money
and ma Rangers Burberry hat.

Slasher he went hame
Got his golf club far behint the door
Ses ah'm gane doon the Saracen Heid
Ta pay the debt A'h owe

Slasher went inta the barroom
wae his golf club in his hand
Look straight at Wee Bigsby
and ses you'r a deid man.

Bigsby ses tae Slasher
please don't take ma life
cos a'hve got the bairns
and a lovely wee wife.

Slasher swung that golf club
twice aroon his heid
then he whacked Wee Bigsby
who fell doon deid

Noo the moral o' this story
is tae leave the gamblin alane
stay was yer wife and bairns
Just stay right at hame.

i resemble that room! we're back in the ol' Birralee farm days circa 2012-13. nice one mate

Top Bottom