SEASON 503 "SUPERMARKET SWEEP!!!"

Cheers for hosting Val x

Asda, half way down aisle 21 dried food section, left hand side and second shelf down.........Mash

Here's a song that has more grocery items than any other song I can think of. It is of course by Half Man Half Biscuit, which, come to think of it, is half a grocery item in itself. Our hero is off to make a nuisance of himself at an all night garage:

I was half expecting to get here and find Bob had already done this, but it seems not, at least, not yet!

JAVA JIVE - Ben Oakland & Milton Drake 1940

I see that yesterday was coffee day and I headed to the Supermarket to pick some up, then my coffee machine broke down.

The first time I played this song was at the Mariposa Folk Festival in the nineties. I was part of a morning workshop called Java Jive and Tony Quarrington, who was hosting the workshop suggested this song. I haven't played it since, but decided to revive it and looked up the Ink Spots' version on Youtube.

Java jive.jpg
left to right - Tony Quarrington, Dwight Signer, Ted Staunton, Geoff Honey, Jim Yates, Dave Mowat at Java Jive workshop.

POGO MUG with coffee.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning & etc. from deepest France, and very many thanks to Jim, who turned up during the "night." (Love that photo, Jim!) The Playlist is now up to date and I look forward to adding a few more songs today ... it's Wednesday, you must have run out of something by now!

Thanks for hosting Val - I'm waaay behind on my listening for the Season. Here's "Shopping Mall" by Pete Yorn. For tenor ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal. Not much to do with the theme but the title... sorry about that!

And then there's this (I know the time will be prohibitive for many (6pm west coast usa time on Sunday night, 10/10) - I will try to archive at least some of the concert):

Copy of Rizal Day Poster Template - Made with PosterMyWall.jpg

What connects an Edith Piaf song with something you can buy in Supermarkets you may ask .............Flowers !!

Last edited:
**CLEAN UP ON AISLE FOUR PLEASE!!""

Hello, Val! Many thanks for hosting this week! Here is one of my favorites from the 1960 musical, Oliver. It lists milk, strawberries, roses and knives, all of which might be purchased at the local Giant. I've been out of town quite a bit recently, most of September, and I've missed being here. I'm hoping to catch up on video watching very soon.

Who Will Buy?
Lionel Bart

By the way, do yourself a big favor and watch the scene from Oliver. It’s brilliantly done:

Last edited:
Gee some great posts for this week! The best I can come up with is a cover of "Fields of Gold" with the mention of barley.
Oh well que sera sera :)

Had to get here- love this them and have about a million songs that fit, but life and work may intervene and make this a one and done kinda week- we will see.
It is late and I am exhausted from the baseball events of the day- it seems my Giants will face their rivals in the playoffs for the first time Friday…ought to be interesting… but for now the result is my need to play a song, and I assure you this is not my best outing.
Anyway- a love song for my buddy Randy (he was the only person to ever request it- bless up brother)- we have been down this road before. Excellent theme Val!

Come Easter, Halloween and Christmas etc everything steps up a gear and the biggest thing these supermarkets, retailers and brands want to sell you Is their advertising to draw you In so you part with your hard earned . This Keane song was used as a Christmas ad.........

Last edited:
Good morning (& etc.), dear Seasonistas! And big thanks to Mark, Rob, Joko, Liz, Paul, Brian and Jon, who arrived at the checkout "overnight!" The Playlist is now up to date and I am about to take myself off to the department's main police station to be fingerprinted ... I am the prime suspect in a local bank heist; or, to be more accurate - and this is, unfortunately, far less interesting - I need to get my Residency Card so that I am not classified as an "undocumented migrant!" Thank you, Brexit!!!
(I was just wondering why all today's contributions were coming in above the update which I posted first thing this morning. Now I know ... I never actually posted it; well, I WAS in a hurry! Never mind, better late that never ... "good morning" all over again.)

relieved to see i'm not the only person here who considers alcohol an essential grocery list item 🍻

here's a homemade-y...

Newly baked bread is cooling and waiting for the children, who have grown up and are too busy to visit: "Leib jahtub" (Bread Cooling, 1975) by Andres Valkonen and Leelo Tungal.

SOTU 503 - "Beer Run" - Todd Snyder. The Texas singer songwriter's story of an epic road trip and quest for beer.

Chang Mai Sidney is a Vegan who deep fries fruit. Sidney is alter ego of Kasey Stern who by the way is the twin brother of Kent. Check out Kent.

Top Bottom