SEASON 503 "SUPERMARKET SWEEP!!!"

Hi y’all. I wrote a pastiche for this week, (not a good one, lol). My daughter approved it though so, here goes…

You don't get many of these in supermarkets (though I did buy one once in Lidl) - but I hope this song fits the bill as things that we buy (and continue acquiring obsessively). This songs asks the age old question do I have....

Hahahaha omg I love this! I only own one but I understand this feeling. I just discovered my 'Zuleika' is actually tuned abnormally and I've been playing on a Dm7 tuning for near a year before someone pointed out it wasn't the usual GCEA. My entire repertoire is unplayable on regular GCEA tuning which means if I want to learn standard stuff I need a separate one.

And then there's those fascinating sopranissimos and there's also the fact that ukubasses exist...

And open string tuning fascinates me as well...which means I'll probably want an extra one so I can have Dm7, standard GCEA and open...

Oops.

Here's an early Jimmy Buffett song. Google gives a mixed response to whether he ever really did pay the Mini-Mart back.

My child's favorite meal recently is a chicken tenders on a hot dog bun with mayo sandwich. So this Cibo Matto song from the mid-90s to mind immediately...

Now, I'm hungry again :)

Hi y’all. I wrote a pastiche for this week, (not a good one, lol). My daughter approved it though so, here goes…

I may be the only one who was unfamiliar with the word pastiche, but in case there are others, this is what Google told me:

Pastiche is a "see also" of parody. As nouns the difference between pastiche and parody is that pastiche is a work of art, drama, literature, music, or architecture that imitates the work of a previous artist while parody is a work or performance that imitates another work or performance with ridicule or irony.

As verbs the difference between pastiche and parody is that pastiche is to create or compose in a mixture of styles while parody is to make a parody of something.

Last edited:
A traditional song, taken from Thomas Balinger's ukulele songbook Shanties and Songs of the Sea.

And, with Sabine's lovely contribution, I now declare Season 503 officially over! Thank you all! There are 52 videos on the Playlist and the Wrap will follow later this week ... I forgot to mention, there is a prize!

Thanks so much for the great week, Val! So sorry I had to delete my second song. I heard directly from the singer-songwriter alerting me to potential fines for posting songs I don’t own the copyright to. Oh, well. Private links for me from now on.

I may be the only one who was unfamiliar with the word pastiche, but in case there are others, this is what Goog;e told me:

Pastiche is a "see also" of parody. As nouns the difference between pastiche and parody is that pastiche is a work of art, drama, literature, music, or architecture that imitates the work of a previous artist while parody is a work or performance that imitates another work or performance with ridicule or irony.

As verbs the difference between pastiche and parody is that pastiche is to create or compose in a mixture of styles while parody is to make a parody of something.

Oh, yes. Thanks for clarifying for everyone. I didn’t know about pastiche either until Berni hosted a Season of said word.
I thought I wrote parodies but mine are all pastiche not making fun of the original.

Hello, everyone, here is the Wrap ... apologies for the delay! There is a prize, namely a genuine, hessian French shopping bag ... which will be modelled by Gloria, our checkout girl. Would the winner please refrain from shouting out with joy here; Gloria is a shy, retiring little thing, but she takes her work seriously, and, having agreed to carry out the draw for us, she wants EVERYONE to watch her! (Could the lucky winner please PM me.) Thank you all!

Hello, everyone, here is the Wrap ... apologies for the delay! There is a prize, namely a genuine, hessian French shopping bag ... which will be modelled by Gloria, our checkout girl. Would the winner please refrain from shouting out with joy here; Gloria is a shy, retiring little thing, but she takes her work seriously, and, having agreed to carry out the draw for us, she wants EVERYONE to watch her! (Could the lucky winner please PM me.) Thank you all!

Hadn't thought to check back here!

Thank you Gloria for picking my name out the hat. I'll PM you now Val.

Top Bottom