SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

LimousinLil

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hello, Dave ... and thank you for this week! Having closed my Season, I have nipped over here sharpish to bring what I think is an empathetic song ...

pabrizzer

it's a paoriginoodle inspired by sotu 504
smiles can't fix everything and as much as we love it neither can music
but things can get better - especially if the help that is sometimes needed is reached for

Last edited:

stanat20

a better day? - i guess not believing that it's a possibility is when one just gives up - there are times i have trouble - i look at the world and just say - sheesh - but fiddling around with chords and words (music?) sometimes helps - an empathetic friend? - sometimes - but i reckon there are holes so deep that the notes don't reach - but we try - right? here's one of mine from 2016 and no doubt written for a season
Nice song well performed

RAB11

Here's another one from me. I'd tell the story of why this song fits but the song does that pretty well itself.

merlin666

I picked this cover because for me it's all about moving on and leaving the past behind. Can't cry anymore...

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

With so many friends and family members who've been harmed by domestic abusers, this is a tough Season for me.

The first song that came to my mind is one that helped build my empathy for people being abused in their homes. It was tough to practice and no fun to perform. Still, it's a beautiful song. Thank you, Suzanne Vega, for sharing this powerful work of art.

And thank you, Dave and Mel, for encouraging us to have love and empathy for everyone hurt by domestic abusers.

Oh, and note to anyone here (because in almost any space, there's at least one person) who's ever harmed their partner, their child, or anyone else they've claimed to love: Stop now. Stop forever. Get whatever support you need to learn to live without harming people.

TCK

Lovely to get home from a long day at work and find some more treasures here on the season thread- again, thank you all for picking up your uke and chiming in.
I made comments on the Youtubes and they are as follows:

DelGriff- wow- what a wonderful song for your brother. Sending all my good mojo to you and yours- so well delivered mate, thanks for playing this for us.

Limousin Lil- I like your take on the theme. I tend to try and find the positive in things and this song beautifully instructs a positive outlook. My Cousin Louis does this song, I hope you don't mind my messing up your wonderful delivery with a few “Shooby-dooby” s.

Stanat20- I love this song so much! We had quite a run of this one in the seasons early on, and it has me smiling ear to ear. I really love the tempo here, slower delivery makes it more pleading than an order...really dig this one- thank you for bringing it.

Pa- Hauntingly beautiful melody here...really like the whole tone of this video. And I agree entirely. Smiles and music, while cathartic, are temporary. Help and support is enduring. Thank you for sharing this with us

Ryan- Welcome back! New song to me, but the lyrics I caught got me to go search for them and give them a read...excellent choice for the season and a really powerful set of words. Thanks for the introduction.

Merlin666- Great selection Merlin! Perfect song delivered with a ton of passion, and a really cool uke to boot- looks like a six string with two courses repeated? Huge sound there! Anyway, thanks for the tune!

Ralf- This. I am thankful that in 25 years I, as a mandated reporter, have only made that call a few times. Love how heartfelt and emotional this is my friend...I tried to play it last night and could not get through it. In fact I am shedding a few right now. Nope- not an easy topic...thank you so much for playing this for us. Absolutely perfect.

Awesome work folks- I look forward to coming back tonight and seeing what else we have! Thank you again- Dave

TCK

Figured I’d play one if I may- title says it all.

Last edited:

Flatbaroque

Here's an original. Title taken from a Raymond Carver short story. There's also a '50's movie reference.

This bit of sunshine is meant just for you

It skirted the Badlands and shone past a few

Must be the mail train It’s taking a while

Delivering soliloquys and tales from the wild

Little Pearl and John Rescued from the river

Wrap them in blankets They shall not shiver

This bit of sunshine Created and wrought

To heal a broken heart and hopes that cut short

As straight the crow flies As clear the stars shift

There’ll be a steady hand By chance if you slip

The baker said “It’s a small good thing”

As he gave you a warm roll All he could bring

This bit of sunshine is meant just for you

Skirted the Badlands to shine down on you.

Thanks for hosting Dave and no, you haven't lost it. I just decided to do something else which is more in keeping with the theme, a new uked up version of something I wrote back in 2018.

merlin666

Thanks, Dave. Yes it is an old white label Kamaka six string with C and A strings in octaves.

Reactions: TCK

UkeFoote

"All the Things You Are", arranged for solo tenor ukulele by Brian Fergus and Lee Larson. Lee was my friend and former ukulele student. We made this arrangement of one of his favorite songs in one of his lessons in 2017, before he suffered a debilitating stroke, which made it subsequently impossible for him to play ukulele. The photo of Lee was taken in around 1970 when he was studying classical guitar with the Spanish guitarist Regino Sainz de la Maza. Lee also studied harmonica with the great Tommy Reilly. One of the nicest things Lee said to me was that he always studied music with the best. To be included with the two musical legends he also studied with was certainly an out-sized compliment, but I treasure it nonetheless. Lee passed away October 2020; this performance is dedicated to his memory.

Thanks for hosting the season, Dave!

ukudancer

I'd leave it to Sir Paul McCartney to explain why this song fits the theme: "I had a dream in the Sixties where my mum who died came to me in a dream and was reassuring me, saying: 'It's gonna be OK. Just let it be..."

This is a song I recorded on a couple of weeks ago and decided to revisit today and add a 2nd harmony line. I actually had to re-learn most of the melody lines and then move some of it up a third higher while doubling the other parts.

TCK

Another great reception as I get off work and hunker down for some tunes! Thank you all for what you have brought today- I really appreciate all the heart that is going into your entries. As stated upon the Youtubes:
TCK- That was all right I suppose :p

Flatbaroque- Very well crafted original here! Really liked the lyrics here and well, gotta get behind that 8 string. Great stuff- thanks for playing it for us!

Wee- I am really very fond of this song, and your approach to it paired with these great visuals creates an entire feeling that I think is exactly what one ought to feel when hearing this song. Great stuff here. Looks like this is an old one, but I am happy to be directed to it.

Pa- Another original! The songs just drip off you Pa- Lovely melody and lyrics here, delivered in a way only you can deliver it. Borrowing from one of the other comments on this page, I listened with enormous pleasure. Short and sweet but what a treat.

NotanotherLinda- Well, what a relief- I have not yet lost it! So glad you came back and brought us this stunning original. Really well written and the somber tone hits the spot! Really dig the added harmonica as well- thank you for playing this for us!

Ukefoote- Such a lovely song...pretty much knew I could hit that like button before you started playing. Excellent arrangement and wonderful tribute to your friend Lee, who must have had some great stories.

Joko- This song had to be here, but is the Tik-Tok narration intentional? I can't hear you with that happening...could you repost it without the AI narration? I want to hear what you had going here.

Ukudancer- Well, there is something we don’t see too often in these parts- not one but TWO steel string electric ukes! Yes yes yes- this ROCKS. Really fun entry mate- thanks for bringing this. Excellent cover here.

If I have inadvertently left anyone off the playlist, just let me know- lots of buttons to push and things to type...my brain hasn't worked this much since I was teaching 150 kids a day over ZOOM....
Really folks, thank you for your strong showing here- much love, Dave.
See you all later tonight, after the ball game that hopefully eliminates the Dodgers.

lizbrinker

(Thanks, Dave, for letting me interrupt. I appreciate it.)

Hey folks, something scary happened yesterday. I received this comment on my second video for Val's supermarket week directly from the singer/songwriter. I took the song post down right away and now I am reluctant to post to YouTube at all. I am considering using private or unlisted links in the future. I know YouTube is placing ads wherever they like, despite having a non-monetized account, even on original songs. The problem seems to be this: we agree, when uploading, that we own the rights to the songs we upload, and that the songwriters receive none of the proceeds from the ads YouTube places on covers of their original work. I see her point. And, I don't want to claim I own the rights to something I don't. Apparently, disclaimers don't protect us from legal action, since the upload agreement is more legally binding than anything we might add to our video information section. I suppose I should read more fine print...

Michelle Shocked
Hi Liz Do you understand "statutory damages for willful infringment [stet] of copyright" when you lied and claimed that you own the rights to the work you upload to YouTube? In December 2021 a new copyright tribunal will allow me to sue you for copyright infringement and YouTube will not protect you from liability. While YouTube serves advertising on your video of my song, and rakes in billions from users like you, you will have sole legal responsibility (for up to $30,000 in copyright infringement) for claiming to own the rights to my song.

UkeFoote

(Thanks, Dave, for letting me interrupt. I appreciate it.)

Hey folks, something scary happened yesterday. I received this comment on my second video for Val's supermarket week directly from the singer/songwriter. I took the song post down right away and now I am reluctant to post to YouTube at all. I am considering using private or unlisted links in the future. I know YouTube is placing ads wherever they like, despite having a non-monetized account, even on original songs. The problem seems to be this: we agree, when uploading, that we own the rights to the songs we upload, and that the songwriters receive none of the proceeds from the ads YouTube places on covers of their original work. I see her point. And, I don't want to claim I own the rights to something I don't. Apparently, disclaimers don't protect us from legal action, since the upload agreement is more legally binding than anything we might add to our video information section. I suppose I should read more fine print...

Michelle Shocked
Hi Liz Do you understand "statutory damages for willful infringment [stet] of copyright" when you lied and claimed that you own the rights to the work you upload to YouTube? In December 2021 a new copyright tribunal will allow me to sue you for copyright infringement and YouTube will not protect you from liability. While YouTube serves advertising on your video of my song, and rakes in billions from users like you, you will have sole legal responsibility (for up to $30,000 in copyright infringement) for claiming to own the rights to my song.
That’s very strange - do we really claim that we own the rights to the songs we post? I’ve got to admit I’ve never noticed that. Beyond that though, she sounds like a brat - she probably was pissed that you did her song better than she could ever even hope to play it. My opinion of her just went from like “not much” to “thumbs DOWN” : (

I really don’t think much will come of this new legal “situation”. My guess is that you will get a warning from people like Michelle Shocked and be able to take down your video before any litigation or penalties would be imposed. I think most artists and even labels think of ukulele covers as compliments and perhaps even advertising (obviously Ms Shocked would not be among them- she seems like a bitter “Karen”- I’ll bet she spends her time alternately pacing around the house cursing out Sinead O’Connor and scouring the internet for people “stealing” her songs).

Anyone who would not be delighted to be covered by you is a pedant, in my book. Please don’t let this stop you from creating your wonderful videos.

Last edited: