SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

TCK

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, which should clue you in to what the title means here. I would like us to make a playlist for survivors of domestic violence this week in support of the programs offered through the Sonoma County YWCA. For every song that you folks play, Melissa and I will donate a dollar to this vital program. One of our Ukulele friends here has also donated a few instruments for the Safe House which is so awesome!

I really like the idea of telling you why you are playing rather than what to play for this go round, so song choice is up to you (and I am excited to hear what you pick), with a small caveat. The title for the theme comes from an article I read a few weeks ago when this was hatching in my head about music as a therapeutic aid for survivors of domestic violence. In the article, the author stated that she instructs patients to start with a handful of songs when creating their playlists, ones that reflect their mental state, and then decide how they would like to change their mental state. With that change in mind she has them continue to add songs that will help them make that change- you all get the idea right? We have been doing just that for 504 weeks :)

All parameters are otherwise the same, as handed down by the Ancient Seasonista's. Uke front and center, no song limit, and be sure you take one last trip down the aisles in season 503! Also keep in mind your host likes to hear WHY you have chosen to play a song so if you are so inclined, by all means lets have a chat.
All right- bless up, I will see you all tomorrow (and Let's Go Giants!!!), I think that is it for now
-TCK

Season 504 Sing-a-long is HERE

Last edited:
Great cause.

Here's my entry, one of the most comforting songs I know. Advice as good now as it was 100 years ago.

April Showers (1921) by Louis Silvers and Buddy DeSylva, originally sung by Al Jolson.

After a devastating loss to the Dodgers, I am off to bed...but so happy to find our friends across the pond kicking things off before I do so!
As posted on the Youtubes- A lovely old tune about better days ahead- excellent choice! Thanks for the first song of Season 504 mate!
Thanks for the song Chris (lovely doggo there)...heading off with a smile now. Can't wait to see what y'all have for me when I get up- take care folks.

a better day? - i guess not believing that it's a possibility is when one just gives up - there are times i have trouble - i look at the world and just say - sheesh - but fiddling around with chords and words (music?) sometimes helps - an empathetic friend? - sometimes - but i reckon there are holes so deep that the notes don't reach - but we try - right? here's one of mine from 2016 and no doubt written for a season

Thanks for hosting Dave. I find this David Bowie song has a positive / uplifting feel to it. Debuting my new Kala 8 string tenor. I blame Berni for this purchase. He used one (not the same brand) a couple of weeks ago and the sounds he produced sent me down the rabbit hole.

Hey TCK!

Been a while since I've done a Sunday morning, bedheaded, still in my pjs video. It's nice.

This is a song I wrote a month or so ago. It's about how for my wife and I, with all our various mental health issues, the simple act of being happy can sometimes seem like a gargantuan task. It sort of came into my head pretty much fully formed one day when my wife was having a particularly bad day despite there being no obvious trigger. I intended it as a spoken word poem but then realised I'm nowhere near cool enough to pull something like that off so decided to get funky with it.

The main hook of the song is maybe a mix of reassurance and hope that one day being happy will come naturally to us.

Lots of people world wide have covered this Janis Ian song as part of the Better Times project. You can view lots of entries on her website. https://www.bettertimeswillcome.com
#bettertimes Perhaps if everyone covered this song then better times would come. We have no idea how our music affects other people, or what effects a song appearing on the seasons might have. If you are looking for a song to play then you might consider this one by Janis Ian

Last edited:
Hey TCK!

Been a while since I've done a Sunday morning, bedheaded, still in my pjs video. It's nice.

This is a song I wrote a month or so ago. It's about how for my wife and I, with all our various mental health issues, the simple act of being happy can sometimes seem like a gargantuan task. It sort of came into my head pretty much fully formed one day when my wife was having a particularly bad day despite there being no obvious trigger. I intended it as a spoken word poem but then realised I'm nowhere near cool enough to pull something like that off so decided to get funky with it.

The main hook of the song is maybe a mix of reassurance and hope that one day being happy will come naturally to us.

Happiness is a lovely thing even to happens to other people.

I wasn't sure what sort of thing to pick for this theme, but I had my music collection playing on shuffle earlier and this one came up. It's a song by Cake, and, if internet comments are to be believed, it's a song that has helped some people get through some bad times. Here played on a baritone ukulele, with a bit of tenor uke and out of tune melodica added.

A great showing so far everyone, thanks for chiming in! I will have some sit down time this evening to give these all a look and comment. That is going to require my full concentration I can already see, though I purposefully chose a theme that would require that level of attention. Thank you all for playing us a tune and I will be back a bit later to comment and enjoy. Until then- Bless up and keep them coming.

Nice of you and Mel to tie in some love with your season.
A cousin of mine paid the ultimate price for staying in an abusive relationship. In fact the ten year anniversary of her passing was last week.
This isn't a feel good song, but I'm playing it for her. From the outside, it's hard for me to understand why she just couldn't get the hell away from this guy, try as she might. For reasons I can't quite understand, sometimes letting go of such a relationship can feel impossible for the victims.

Ha! I misread the theme and thought it was about songs that were about or led to domestic violence :unsure:
No as I went to upload I see it is maybe more about hope and positive stuff. Anyway I will still post this one.
The song "Girls In Our Town" was written by Bob Hudson back in 1974 and I think it highlights the problems women had in Regional Australia.
Bob Hudson comes from Newcastle, NSW, which at that time was a "Steelworks Town". Most people were reliant on the one employer and it was a place women were maybe not appreciated other than as a girlfriend of wife. That's my take.
Hope you find it interesting.

OK- this is very strange. I noted during cooking dinner tonight that I had three songs from NotAnotherLinda and yet I don't see them anymore? Have I lost it...or were they taken down? If they were- put them back up immediately-I will even go so far as to say please, I was looking forward to them. If I have lost it, keep quiet on that and just play me more songs.

OK- on to my reaction to the fantastic shares we had tonight. In my classroom I always give the kids the WHY and never the WHAT because that to me is science. They have never ceased to amaze me with what they come up with and I am certain this week will be very much like that, not that I am directly comparing you all to 10 year olds...just saying that this process always yields the best rewards for me and this evening has been no exception.
We have 8 new additions to our playlist, all of them a delight to listen to. Please be sure to watch them in the Playlist posted at the top of page one. Here are my thoughts:

Pabrizzer- I feel you Pa- The last year of "Jesus Christ what is next?" has been particularly hard. Just know when you sit down and craft one of these gems, it raises a smile somewhere. My goodness mate- thank you for this gem. It is perfect, it is stunning, and it is appreciated.

Flatbaroque- Ah- I love my 8 string. Had a tenor as well but Gave it to another seasonista when I bought my Baritone 8. Great Uke. Love the recording here- perfect sound for a top shelf selection for the week- excellent choice! And the harp! Well, I will go on forever....

RAB11- Man...seeing your spouse struggle without a way to help is the hardest part of having a spouse I reckon. You know that, so on to the tune. An expertly crafted homage to unending support and the search for brighter tomorrows...Just perfect, and thank you (Oh- and I like the bedhead and PJ's videos the best).

Wee- OK- There is so much to love here. First, you brought us Janis Ian (and she saw it and complimented!!!) ...and that in and of itself would have been enough...but you are Wee, and of course it is a song she wrote after the passing of John Prine. OK- yeah, I felt as though the world might be ending when he died as well...but I did not start a world wide project on that sentiment. THEN you knocked it straight the heck outta the park like you always do, and made it look effortless and sound beautiful. Perfect pick for this week Wee but really I expected it when I saw your post. Thank you1

Jsteam- We have the same Ukulele...wish mine sounded that good, and the added melodica simply sent me! A fantastic selection so well executed- thank you so much for bringing this along! New song to me- what a good one!

Ukulele Extra Cheese- WHAT? This is all my musical stupefaction all in one place! We have the Dead, and that one that came out when I was in HS and way to punk too like it (unless it was in secret and it was) along with the pre-punk ANTHEM, and they are a perfect fit! My god- what have you
done? This is brilliant mate

and part two- OK- These Boots is a little more conventional, and equally as appropriate. Another great pick selectah, and the fun you're having really shines here. When I picked the theme I was hoping it would not just be a big bummer- we can have some of that but certainly need a little resilience and defiance, happiness and joy, mixed in there.

Ukuleledaddy- Had a hunch I would open some things up with this theme...Sorry to take you back to this memory but I reckon going there is important for all of us so this doesn't happen anymore. Thanks for getting on board, you know I am happy to throw money at your brings, and this one is beautiful- excellent delivery (happy you still have to use the van as a studio). In any event- I empathize with anyone that has experienced domestic violence first hand- thank you for opening up and bringing us this tune.

Paulmg- Oh no sir...the theme itself is Domestic Violence Awareness...You can pick whatever song you wish, and this totally fits. Songs ABOUT DV are pretty easily sourced regretfully... New song to me- thank you for the well executed introduction!

So- A great day for sure. I know you all know that I am teacher...and thus living in poverty, but I have a lot more to spend here. DON'T HOLD BACK- Never cared much for money anyways- would rather give it away. Bring me more songs! I will see you all tomorrow, thank you for the sounds, and Bless up.

Last edited:
OK- this is very strange. I noted during cooking dinner tonight that I had three songs from NotAnotherLinda and yet I don't see them anymore? Have I lost it...or were they taken down? If they were- put them back up immediately-I will even go so far as to say please, I was looking forward to them. If I have lost it, keep quiet on that and just play me more songs.

OK- on to my reaction to the fantastic shares we had tonight. In my classroom I always give the kids the WHY and never the WHAT because that to me is science. They have never ceased to amaze me with what they come up with and I am certain this week will be very much like that, not that I am directly comparing you all to 10 year olds...just saying that this process always yields the best rewards for me and this evening has been no exception.
We have 8 new additions to our playlist, all of them a delight to listen to. Please be sure to watch them in the Playlist posted at the top of page one. Here are my thoughts:

Pabrizzer- I feel you Pa- The last year of "Jesus Christ what is next?" has been particularly hard. Just know when you sit down and craft one of these gems, it raises a smile somewhere. My goodness mate- thank you for this gem. It is perfect, it is stunning, and it is appreciated.

Flatbaroque- Ah- I love my 8 string. Had a tenor as well but Gave it to another seasonista when I bought my Baritone 8. Great Uke. Love the recording here- perfect sound for a top shelf selection for the week- excellent choice! And the harp! Well, I will go on forever....

RAB11- Man...seeing your spouse struggle without a way to help is the hardest part of having a spouse I reckon. You know that, so on to the tune. An expertly crafted homage to unending support and the search for brighter tomorrows...Just perfect, and thank you (Oh- and I like the bedhead and PJ's videos the best).

Wee- OK- There is so much to love here. First, you brought us Janis Ian (and she saw it and complimented!!!) ...and that in and of itself would have been enough...but you are Wee, and of course it is a song she wrote after the passing of John Prine. OK- yeah, I felt as though the world might be ending when he died as well...but I did not start a world wide project on that sentiment. THEN you knocked it straight the heck outta the park like you always do, and made it look effortless and sound beautiful. Perfect pick for this week Wee but really I expected it when I saw your post. Thank you1

Jsteam- We have the same Ukulele...wish mine sounded that good, and the added melodica simply sent me! A fantastic selection so well executed- thank you so much for bringing this along! New song to me- what a good one!

Ukulele Extra Cheese- WHAT? This is all my musical stupefaction all in one place! We have the Dead, and that one that came out when I was in HS and way to punk too like it (unless it was in secret and it was) along with the pre-punk ANTHEM, and they are a perfect fit! My god- what have you
done? This is brilliant mate

and part two- OK- These Boots is a little more conventional, and equally as appropriate. Another great pick selectah, and the fun you're having really shines here. When I picked the theme I was hoping it would not just be a big bummer- we can have some of that but certainly need a little resilience and defiance, happiness and joy, mixed in there.

Ukuleledaddy- Had a hunch I would open some things up with this theme...Sorry to take you back to this memory but I reckon going there is important for all of us so this doesn't happen anymore. Thanks for getting on board, you know I am happy to throw money at your brings, and this one is beautiful- excellent delivery (happy you still have to use the van as a studio). In any event- I empathize with anyone that has experienced domestic violence first hand- thank you for opening up and bringing us this tune.

Paulmg- Oh no sir...the theme itself is Domestic Violence Awareness...You can pick whatever song you wish, and this totally fits. Songs ABOUT DV are pretty easily sourced regretfully... New song to me- thank you for the well executed introduction!

So- A great day for sure. I know you all know that I am teacher...and thus living in poverty, but I have a lot more to spend here. DON'T HOLD BACK- Never cared much for money anyways- would rather give it away. Bring me more songs! I will see you all tomorrow, thank you for the sounds, and Bless up.
Recently went back to the bettertimes site just to look at the diifferent styles and instrumentation of the song, and knowing that Covid took John Prine i selected a video that featured a mask. The first part of the song people are wearing masks and it is very somber, then half way through everyone takes off their masks and you see them smiling. It is like an epiphany,knowing this is the way it used to be... should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCK
Recently went back to the bettertimes site just to look at the diifferent styles and instrumentation of the song, and knowing that Covid took John Prine i selected a video that featured a mask. The first part of the song people are wearing masks and it is very somber, then half way through everyone takes off their masks and you see them smiling. It is like an epiphany,knowing this is the way it used to be... should be.

Beautiful share. John was a great loss to me...I will go off topic really fast if I linger there, but this is a great video. My god I cannot wait to take this mask off.

Thanks for hosting, Dave.
Here’s an original song I wrote yesterday for my amazing youngest brother as he faces a major health crisis. Coincidentally it fits the season and he’s very happy for me to post it here.

Beautiful share. John was a great loss to me...I will go off topic really fast if I linger there, but this is a great video. My god I cannot wait to take this mask off.
It is even more poignant when you consider that John sang this after recovering from cancer surgery, and he considered it part of his rehabilitation.

Reactions: TCK
Top Bottom