SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

I agree totally. Over 1200 videos, only ones with adds are copywrite claims, and I have had artists repost some of them. I would just avoid the Eagles and Michelle Shocked.

(Thanks, Dave, for letting me interrupt. I appreciate it.)

Hey folks, something scary happened yesterday. I received this comment on my second video for Val's supermarket week directly from the singer/songwriter. I took the song post down right away and now I am reluctant to post to YouTube at all. I am considering using private or unlisted links in the future. I know YouTube is placing ads wherever they like, despite having a non-monetized account, even on original songs. The problem seems to be this: we agree, when uploading, that we own the rights to the songs we upload, and that the songwriters receive none of the proceeds from the ads YouTube places on covers of their original work. I see her point. And, I don't want to claim I own the rights to something I don't. Apparently, disclaimers don't protect us from legal action, since the upload agreement is more legally binding than anything we might add to our video information section. I suppose I should read more fine print...

Michelle Shocked
Hi Liz Do you understand "statutory damages for willful infringment [stet] of copyright" when you lied and claimed that you own the rights to the work you upload to YouTube? In December 2021 a new copyright tribunal will allow me to sue you for copyright infringement and YouTube will not protect you from liability. While YouTube serves advertising on your video of my song, and rakes in billions from users like you, you will have sole legal responsibility (for up to $30,000 in copyright infringement) for claiming to own the rights to my song.
Last week on my old gardener guy channel I received an email from YouTube which told me that some of my videos had been used by other people. There was about 20 of them, some of them had been used 100% and others had been used 50%

One of them was about roses in my garden and it had been used by a Japanese person. It was overdubbed by a Japanese song and the video opened with a photograph of his wife who was smiling and looked pregnant.

YouTube gave me the possibility to contact the persons and ask them to remove their videos. I thought that if a man uses my roses to bring happiness to his wife, then let it be, for that is a good thing.

Last week on my old gardener guy channel I received an email from YouTube which told me that some of my videos had been used by other people. There was about 20 of them, some of them had been used 100% and others had been used 50%

One of them was about roses in my garden and it had been used by a Japanese person. It was overdubbed by a Japanese song and the video opened with a photograph of his wife who was smiling and looked pregnant.

YouTube gave me the possibility to contact the persons and ask them to remove their videos. I thought that if a man uses my roses to bring happiness to his wife, then let it be, for that is a good thing.
I concur!

No new songs- hope to see you all tomorrow. The damn Dodgers won and I could use a song or two. Good night folks- Dave

The things that we get up to when we are given some space

I’m going to take a pee and not lift up the toilet seat
Drink straight from the milk carton and make noises when I eat
Things will get much better when I can do what I like
And in a week or two, I’ll be glad you took a hike.

My underwear I’ll wear for a week and not hear you shout.
Don’t have to change my socks I can wear them inside out
Squeeze toothpaste from the middle, forget to wash the brush
Squash my spuds in my gravey and make them into a mush

I’ll lie in bed fully clothed until good God know when
Drink 12 can of cheap bear then go back to bed again
Don’t have to mow the lawn always found that to be a drag
Don’ have to take the dog for a walk or put his poop in a bag

I can sit in front of the TV with my hands down my pants
And when it comes to scratching I can do just what I wants
I can smoke and drink, fight and cuss, dance all over the place.
And I really do appreciate that you think we need some space.

Hey Dave here's another original I'm gonna invoke the Almighty Thornton on, if such a thing is even possible in a week like this.

I get really political about most things. Have done since American Idiot changed my life when I was 12. Nowadays though that mainly means raging at people on Facebook who are greatly lacking in either reading comprehension, critical thinking or most cases just plain compassion. And the whole thing is exacerbated by people who wanted to get into journalism just to find themselves in a job where they post 'articles' with a carefully-worded title to manufacture the outraged that I can get outraged against. It's cynical, it's unhealthy and yet I can't help myself. So I wrote a song about it.

And you best believe #MeToo is one of the hottest topics for this sort of thing because the depths of humanity truly knows no bounds.

SOTU 504- "Forever Young" - Bob Dylan (1973). I recently watched a great video of the November 1991 memorial concert for music promoter Bill Graham in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Graham had been killed in a helicopter crash the week before. Neil Young sang this song backed up by the Grateful Dead. Dylan originally wrote the song as a gift to his young son, but it has been recorded many times and has become a song of hope and inspiration for everyone. Kevin Griffin (he of the relentlessly tapping foot), helps me out once again with vocals and lead.

Hi Dave and Mel —

Thanks a million for doing this.

Maybe a little conditional hope would help at this time. Anyway, I love the vibe this one conveys.

I agree totally. Over 1200 videos, only ones with adds are copywrite claims, and I have had artists repost some of them. I would just avoid the Eagles and Michelle Shocked.
Yeah, Irving Azoff, who controls copyright for Eagles and a lot of other artists from SoCal, has minions who can be extremely aggressive about policing YouTube. It sucks, especially if you have no expectation of receiving $$$, and make it clear you don’t, but there it is. It seems that Eagles are particularly nasty about this. Many of Azoff’s other artists aren’t.

I chose this song because it is a happy song and suits my voice. I was surprised how many books are called Moonshadow when I was looking for a thumbnail pic.

I messed up the season # again - Doh!

An original from me written especially for this season. It speaks for itself.

Hope you enjoy:

PS It's dedicated to one of my favourite Seasonistas.

PS I would be surprised (indeed shocked) if Michelle Shocked really did write that note. I suspect she probably paid someone to look after her copyright issues and it is them who are sending out the threatening letters. They probably get paid for every issue they spot, so will not distinguish between some Russian band playing copyright material or an amateur posting to a ukulele forum. If it is her, then, like Dave, my opinion of her would hit rock bottom.

Hi Dave! Here is a hopeful song written by Liz and Jim Beloff, the wonderful people behind Flea Market Music, The Daily Ukulele, etc. I first heard it performed by my friend and teacher, Marcy Marxer, with Cathy Fink, and Sam Gleaves on their collaborative album, Shout And Shine. I’ve put my video on an unlisted link, so please let me know whether it works in this setting. Thanks for the very important theme, Dave!

Closer To The Light
Liz and Jim Beloff

If you've ever thought the Seasons was just a circle-jerk love-fest where everyone gets a trophy... no, there are occasional comments that make you re-think what you're doing. Such came from Cloverdale this week on an earlier version of this...

My thanks. The first one was un-listenable.

Reactions: TCK
Hey folks- sorry I have been MIA this evening. It is my birthday and Melissa managed to get off before I was off to bed. We are hanging out while my work here piles up, and assure you I will be back soon to watch what you are posting. Thanks again for your response to this weeks theme! Dave

Hi Dave! Here is a hopeful song written by Liz and Jim Beloff, the wonderful people behind Flea Market Music, The Daily Ukulele, etc. I first heard it performed by my friend and teacher, Marcy Marxer, with Cathy Fink, and Sam Gleaves on their collaborative album, Shout And Shine. I’ve put my video on an unlisted link, so please let me know whether it works in this setting. Thanks for the very important theme, Dave!

Closer To The Light
Liz and Jim Beloff

Hey Liz - drop an email to Jim and Liz (The are easy to find), and tell them you'd like to post a video of their song.

They will give you permission, I have no doubt. Then, when you post it PUBLICLY, state that they gave you explicit permission to use their song.

And do post it publicly - Liz and Jim are wonderful folks, and would love to see others playing their songs.

-Kurt

Hey folks- sorry I have been MIA this evening. It is my birthday and Melissa managed to get off before I was off to bed. We are hanging out while my work here piles up, and assure you I will be back soon to watch what you are posting. Thanks again for your response to this weeks theme! Dave
Happy Birthday Dave!

Been a while since I completed composing a song! Thanks for the week Dave.
My song just requires a tune and I’ll post it. I can also think of many I’d like to play.
Domestic abuse comes in many forms and I doubt there’s many of us who haven’t experienced it.
Awesome songs being shared!!!

Reactions: TCK
Here's a story which is possibly oversharing on a ukulele forum.

I have a lovely older sister called Michaela. We were really close when I was growing up.

Long story short, she has a horrible boyfriend. I have not spoken to her since my mum died (14 years ago now) because of something he said after her funeral. Basically, they came to stay with dad and he said "where's our money?". He said they'd have to wait till he died, and that was the end of our contact.

Here's the thing. I blamed her for the abuse she was suffering at his hands because I thought it was her choice. Why did she put up with him? Why didn't she go to the police? Why would anyone be so stupid? I'm properly ashamed of myself for that now. People don't choose to be victims, and we should never imply that they have made a decision to be a victim. You never know what choices someone has.

I keep trying to reconnect, but I have no idea where she lives now, or even if she is still alive.

If someone you love is a victim of abuse, don't do what I did.

I was going to do a cover of a song she liked, but I've been racking her brains and in spite of being a wonderful woman she had really terrible taste in music.

Sorry. Back to the invitational.

Last edited:
Here's a story which is possibly oversharing on a ukulele forum.

I have a lovely older sister called Michaela. We were really close when I was growing up.

Long story short, she has a horrible boyfriend. I have not spoken to her since my mum died (14 years ago now) because of something he said after her funeral. Basically, they came to stay with dad and he said "where's our money?". He said they'd have to wait till he died, and that was the end of our contact.

Here's the thing. I blamed her for the abuse she was suffering at his hands because I thought it was her choice. Why did she put up with him? Why didn't she go to the police? Why would anyone be so stupid? I'm properly ashamed of myself for that now. People don't choose to be victims, and we should never imply that they have made a decision to be a victim. You never know what choices someone has.

I keep trying to reconnect, but I have no idea where she lives now, or even if she is still alive.

If someone you love is a victim of abuse, don't do what I did.

I was going to do a cover of a song she liked, but I've been racking her brains and in spite of being a wonderful woman she had really terrible taste in music.

Sorry. Back to the invitational.
This is an excellent share mate, and never too much. My sister was married to a narcissist and I have yet to forgive her for buying into his BS. In any event- play us a terrible song because it might be cathartic for you, and that is perfectly acceptable this week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom